1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobile paint scratch remover

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, May 23, 2019.

1. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

if it is a TRUE tri-coat (pearl) finish, understand... RARELY can you paint one single panel. due to the "flop" in the paint, you may need to blend refinish panels, to either side of the affected panel for proper "look" for color match. re: I am sure you have all saw a vehicle with a silver door, and a gray adjacent panel? that is from poor color matching, AND TRYING TO PAINT A SINGLE PANEL.

REFINISHING IS AN ART, FIND A CRAFTSMAN, OR YOU WILL BE SORRY. tri-coats are the place to not cut corners trying to save a buck.

if my kid did this to my new truck, you can bet your sweet ass, they would be paying for this to be right, and back to the way it was before loaning AND, THEY WOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO USE IT EVER AGAIN, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
    Lessons need to be taught, and learned, and sometimes those lessons are expensive (not just talking monetary costs) your results may vary :D Ski

Canadian Bacon likes this.
  2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

These are the scratches. This was done loading a mattress into the truck.
    They let the guy at Big Lots load it.

truck scratch 1.JPG

truck scratch 2.JPG

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I retract all previous statements. Write him out of the will and have a voodoo queen put an spell of despair on his children. :D

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Damn! That . . . will buff right out:mad:

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If it was an honest traffic accident while he had it
    I wouldn't care because shit happens but that
    is just carelessness which pisses me off.

I just discovered he has fled to Canada to escape my wrath.

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

How the fuck do you do that loading a mattress ?

7. skidooboy

from pic view and my opinion (for what it is worth), it needs painted, sorry. nice thing, it looks like it is on the boxside, shouldn't have to blend panels. Ski

8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Apparently your first drag the mattress across the parking lot like a grading tool, then flop dirt side on to the truck and then bend over and drag the entire dirty side up the side of the pick up. As it roils into the bed you push really hard so that it rolls over and slides down the opposite side of the truck. You know just to be thorough.

9. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Damn, that's shitty and, no, touchup paint will look like shit. I just had my red Tri-coat pearl Challenger repaired after some douchenuckle decided he wanted to be in my lane while I was there. Got the bumper cover and rear lower quarter with his wheel. Good news is the shop did a brilliant job blending the quarter and cover, and the color is spot on, so it certainly can be done with a good shop!

10. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

New but related question, need a new orbital buffer. Don't have high class cars but would like something that works ok to well. Something to lay it on and take it off with a bit less elbow shoulder and back effort.

Not looking to spend @Gorilla George money

11. skidooboy

Griot's Garage orbital. dont just buy a "polisher" or a "wheel". get a random orbital polisher. it will help you not burn through the finish, and hurt the finish, more than help it. this is particularly helpful, for those not knowing how to polish, what compound, or how hard to work at a scratch, panel or surface. Ski

12. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

When I got into detailing 13 years ago this was the "go to" orbital buffer everyone recommended. Still have it and still works great: https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46?th=1

This stuff is great too: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mir...pcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A3VM3U4ZW1UBDO

13. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Hit these guy's up to find someone trained in their 'Paint Correction" process.
    Their shit WORKS as long as you find someone trained...
    https://autosmartofamerica.com/

also Pat in Philly will know;
    https://www.autosmartphiladelphia.com/

14. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Have you talked with Big Lots yet? Seems if their employees load stuff for customers, they might be responsible.

Razr likes this.