1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belly pans on motards for AHRMA

Discussion in 'General' started by definitely not a cat, May 20, 2023.

1. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

I have a AHRMA race this weekend and I don’t have a belly on my SMR. Anyone know if they require one for the motards? Most of the ones I’ve seen in photos aren’t even oil containment pans. They’re just skid plates with hole taped over

2. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I am guessing you mean next weekend at Heartland? It does not matter but the answer is yes. If you look at the rule book, section 9.3 subsection f it is clearly stated. If you do not have the rule book it is on their web page .

To sum it up if it is a wet sump engine it must hold the capacity of the engine sump with a nominal reserve and have a dam in the rear of the catch pan. If it is a 2 stroke or dry sump it must hold 1 quart with a dam in the back as well. They have gotten tougher and there seems to be new tech guys every race plus there is a new road race director this year and also a new referee that has an FIM background and this will be their first race so things will be tight I am sure.

definitely not a cat likes this.
  3. definitely not a cat

Well shit. I have some spare plastic sheet. Might be able to rig on up. Maybe the tried and true turkey can get me by in a pinch if needed.

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Use a aluminum cake pan

MrGooch, stk0308, ToofPic and 2 others like this.
  5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If your bike has the KTM plastic skid plate, you can use a hole saw to put a big hole in the bottom, then bolt a 9x9 cake pan under it. I had to beat the pan sides a bit to conform to the skid plate but it worked, and would support the bike on a MX stand as long as you lifted directly from the bottom and didn't try to angle it onto the stand on one edge/corner. If you're using road race style front and rear stands, it's not an issue. Doing it this way gives you a drain sump that is baffled by the skid plate itself, and will hold the full capacity of the motor and some coolant too. I also taped over the other holes on the skid plate, and used wide weather stripping between the pan and plate to provide a full perimeter seal between the two.

definitely not a cat likes this.
  6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I think resident fofitty expert @G2G has used a universal fit vintage motocross bike fender as a makeshift bellypan.

G2G likes this.
  7. definitely not a cat

I’ll rig up a skid plate just n case but I’m going to try the cake pan route first. I’m a local loser so this is most likely the only race I’ll be doing this year. Just need to get this thing through tech this weekend.

8. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

Go in with a big smile and yes sirs and it goes a long way. Make sure you can quickly point out your drain plugs and safety wire on them. Also one of their bg sticking points is safety wiring brake arm bolts and definately axles etc.

Also if you are liquid cooled water wetter or one of the non glycol only products and also any overflow hoses into a catch can.

If I remember correctly the lead tech guy is not going to be there as he had other commitments so be prepared for much confusion as everyone looks to him for everything.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

There are pics of that somewhere....it works!

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

cse, sdg and Sabre699 like this.
  11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

sdg and Sabre699 like this.
  12. G2G

G2G I feel the need

I have an old school carbon fiber belly pan they sold back on the early 2000's. Was lucky to find one. What I did use in the past was a vintage rear dirtbike fender as it fits perfect!. I will try to post better pictures on my race bike, but this is a street bike i loaned to a friend and I tossed it on there and it worked in a pinch. Used this for 4 years that way Paul.jpg

cse likes this.
  13. cse

cse Active Member

Borrowed @G2G vintage MX fender idea (Acerbis). Works great.

PXL_20230522_000925164.jpg

G2G and Sabre699 like this.