1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Electric Car Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Apr 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

In other words, cheap EVs don’t sell because it, let me say it for the ones in the back, PEOPLE DONT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT ACTUAL “SAVING OF PLANET”! It was a dud until they started selling it as a loss leader.
    Somehow a 6k lbs electric trucks gonna be better for the environment than a 2800lb 1.3l turbo ICE car? Sure.

EVs are a status symbol. Teslas are everywhere because they’re cool not because they’re electric.

Tifosi, R1Racer99, 418 and 3 others like this.
  2. Yep.

Obviously I dont like them because of my job. But it is much more than that.

It wouldnt matter what my job is, I still wouldnt have one. I despise them.

I find them nothing more than boring, soulless, virtue signalling tools for the self-righteous SJWs.

Phl218, sdg and sanee like this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's exactly how I feel about...

...trigger safety only, striker-fired handguns. :crackup:

Thanks for helping me capture the essence. It sucked not being able to put words to my loathing. :D

ChemGuy and Gorilla George like this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Some purging, if the rest of you want to keep going there will be more...

Phl218 likes this.
  5. :crackup:

Glad I could help :D

fastfreddie likes this.
  6. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Flew up north to visit mom, she’s 89 and I’ve got to get as many of these long weekend trips in while I can with her .

just for shits & giggles I rented a Tesla Model 3 at Pittsburgh airport thru Hertz, they suck balls but the price of the rental was to good to refuse, cheaper, and quicker than most other options. Drove to the northern WV panhandle car was at 58 percent , plunged into a Tesla supercharger at a Sheetz at the Highlands, by the time I scarfed down my breakfast sandwich and drink the car was at 100% (base model 260 mile range) drove to Wheeling, to our properties in Ohio across the river and south, back to my moms again outside Wheeling in the country, back to Ohio, range left is 214 miles.

The thing is a relatively quick family sedan, 5.3 0-60. The regenerative braking (which is configurable) is a joy coming down the hilltops into the valley basins around here.

As a driver it’s pretty sweet, I’m not planning to run to the laptop and put a deposit on one nor do I has any delusions about saving the planet but it’s a pretty cool rental option.

JBall and Yzasserina like this.
  7. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Yeah but now you're on GGs shit list. Was it worth it?

I aint been back to Pit in 13 yrs...

8. lizard84

Abso-fucking-lutely, that poser hates brown guns and his sissy hands can’t even fire a 1911 style firearm without accidentally engaging the safety. Typical Tactikook :Poke::D

SundaySocial likes this.
  9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

This is gold :crackup:

sanee likes this.
  10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

We are thankful for that. :D

11. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

See ya in 12 hrs for an encore performance of "Beat Up The Yinzer!"

Or shit if you dont mind, meet me half way in Indy...

rd49 likes this.
  12. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

im not trying to start a debate here, im just going to say that I do believe humans are affecting many parts of the environment negatively and drastically with the ocean being no. 1 over the climate (compared to non natural disaster timelines)….

so I would change my main mode of transportation under 2 conditions. The range needs to at least get me as much mileage as my diesel vehicle. I’d have to be able to travel to Utah on one charge. And the energy generation would have to be renewable. because I’d just be a hypocrite if I claimed to be protecting the environment with evs currently. Yes I understand the manufacturing process pollutes. Those processes should be made better over time.

The new Toyota hydrogen engine also looks promising. Though I can’t say I’m confident those fuel tanks won’t kill everyone involved in a high speed collision….

Last edited: May 20, 2023
  13. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

and I’d always keep an ICE car and bike on standby.

14. lizard84

OK, Sitting at my gate after dropping off the Tesla Model 3 Standard, I’d have to rate the experience a solid A-. Fun factor is right up there, range didn’t induce anxiety. I wasn’t confining myself to city driving and it was a hoot to drive this thing on paved country two lane roads up and down the valleys of western Pennsylvania, northern West Virginia and east Ohio. I’ll be billed about $27-$28 for my two pit stops at a Tesla Supercharger, definitely less than I would have shelled out for gasoline. Those DC superchargers are pretty darn fast.

Dislikes were an over sensitive adaptive cruise at a few times, a distortion in the right front speak , not all the time with all music but it came into play with some old school Frank Sinatra essentials, lack of apple car play (but the suite of Tesla options were actually pretty good)

As to the soul sucking comments within this thread, please, machines don’t have soul, they either stir the soul within you or they don’t. The acceleration of even this standard example makes it fun, Soul? IMO it’s like romance and a island vacation, you ain’t going to find it if you didn’t bring it with you.

I’ll definitely rent one again the next trip and try one of the other Tesla model options. I’ll withhold an opinion on a future purchase or lease depending on what price point the future Model 2 presents.

4:05 AM
    [​IMG]
    4:43 AM
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2023
    stk0308 and gixxernaut like this.
  15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Maybe the speaker refused to play Sinatra!

16. lizard84

Couldn’t handle the dynamic range of uncompressed recordings

17. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If you think electric charging stations are hard to find, go look for hydrogen.

Very expensive fuel as well. When I was driving my natural gas civic, I was paying about $2 a gallon and hydrogen was around $10, as I recall. The fuel was so expensive, Toyota provided a credit card covering fuel, for the 3 year lease.

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Hydrogen only makes sense with excess electricity production. Without Fusion power hydrogen is a no go. Cheap hydrogen is made by stripping it from natural gas resulting in CO2 as a waste product.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Storage and delivery are costly and difficult. Plus do you really want a compressed hydrogen bomb sitting in your area?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.