1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. cletus

cletus doesn't know sh*t

+1
    Besides, if you have an astigmatism like me, a 3 MOA looks like a 6 MOA anyways...

2. dazo

dazo Well-Known Member

I just recently inherited a bunch of guns, so I decided to start going to the range to learn how to use them. I am mostly shooting my old Dad's Ruger P85.
    Pretty sure he got it in the early '90s.
    It is a tank of a gun and seems like it will run forever, but I am wondering if it would be worth it to get something more modern or continue learning on it. Thoughts?

3. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Keep using it. I had one. It will run forever. Then when you're ready for a smaller carry gun, find something that suits you. The Ruger will make a fine bedside gun.

Waterboy and dazo like this.
  4. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

P-85 my first pistol, I bought in 1988. I had to have a Glock, and in retrospect, for key purposes the Glock is better. However, that P-85 was awful forgiving of stupid stuff I did like my early experiments... reloading aluminum blazer cases, shooting lots of Egyptian SMG steel jacketed corrosive ammo, loading 158grain 357 cast lead wadcutters, etc. It's tough as nails, and isn't currently worth a lot, so I'd say just hang on to it, and pop for something else when you decide you gotta.

dazo likes this.
  5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I had to have a p85 wh we n they came out. I traded an FJ600 for it and I put half a box of shells through it and hated everything about it so much I just sent it down the road. I don't remember how I got rid of it, I just wanted it gone.

dazo likes this.
  6. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I finally put my hands on some of them today and that’s pretty much what they had to say. At the shop I was at 4 of the five guys working go to was a SOL. The fifth was the owner that had a Knights Armament with a Billy Badass thermal and every other top dollar component you could throw at it, perks of owning a shop. Even he admitted he grabs an SOL most of the time because the KA is too nice. I think there is an EXO3 in my very near future.

7. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

stopped by the shop on the way back from the Beach.. Couldn't go 1.5 miles off my route for nothing!
    Ruger SFAR 308
    It's really light weight and I swapped the trigger out for a CMC single stage. It was a nice 2 stage but I don't like 2 stage. Gonna put an h3 buffer in there and add the sling and it's ready to go. I've got a bunch of 308 but I'm loving the price and availability and options of 308 after not being able to find 6.8SPC since 12/7/22
    Going to have to get used to a 16" barrel again but I think it'll be worth it

[​IMG]

Night
    [​IMG]

Gorilla George and RonR like this.
  8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Dude, where you live where you have a shop that carries that stuff? I have tons of gun shops around me and the only higher tier stuff any of them carry is some Daniel. Any other high speed stuff I have to order online. :(

9. redtailracing

What is that optic and how does the day/night setups work? Screw on end cap for... thermal? NV compatible? School me.

10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Those are 2 completely different optics.

11. Steak Travis

I wish it were that cool but it’s Just quick detach mounts .

vortex pst 1-6 for the day and put on an iray bolt thermal when the sun goes down.

12. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

Why change the buffer before shooting it?

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Wouldn't you need to re-zero?

14. Steak Travis

dude on the inter web said it had a noticeable difference on the recoil. If it doesn't work, it's a quick change and will bring it back to stock.

15. redtailracing

Ah gotcha. That's what I thought at first but as @Jedb said, my thought was doesn't that mean a re-zero

16. Steak Travis

I've had good luck with ADM and la rue quick detach mounts and their return to zero. I don't worry about it anymore and swap out scopes all the time

Jedb likes this.
  17. Jedb

Thanks, good info.
    Have you ever tested what's the difference?
    Negligible? 1MOA? 3moa?

18. Steak Travis

negligible. If I miss I'll go to the range trying to blame the gun and 99% of the time it's me

I missed a hog the last day of turkey season that there is no way I missed or so I thought. The weather was gusting and rainy so the turkeys weren't doing anything, so I put the shot gun up and went walking for hogs. Went to the range after and the Gun was dead on.....now it was with the 556 and an FMJ so my shot placement could have been off and I could have hit the hog but I was expecting it to drop. It was a good size boar so I should have taken more time.

This 308 sounds like it likes some ammo much more than others so I'm going to have to find out what it likes but most people are saying heavier bullets are working better. Hopefully I don't have to spend a ton of money to find it.

19. Jedb

Thanks for the update on "operator vs. equipment" error.
    I've found for my bolt 700 5R, 20" barrel, that it likes 168gr hpbt.

20. redtailracing

Looks like the SFAR is a 1:10. My Scar I believe is a 1:12 and does ok with 150ish grain but really likes 168. Haven't played much with 175+ yet but I'd imagine with the SFAR having a faster twist rate than the Scar, then it's optimal range at the very least would start around 168 an probably improve as you go up. Not to mention, it seems the high quality match ammo is more plentiful in the heavier range.