1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mountain Bikes!

Discussion in 'General' started by Trainwreck, Jun 9, 2020.

1. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Performance Elite DPS. That kashima look annoys me and doesn't really address anything, so I swapped to the black version.
    I tried the ohlins, but it rubbed the upper water bottle. I need both bottles on some of these rides, lol.

2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Anyone one else running AXS? I have a kit coming for my tazer tomorrow. My 11 speed XT shifted extremely well so I really hope I don't regret this haha! The upgrade bug bit me though because of my a-hole friends talking me into it. That is usually my job.

3. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Greatest thing ever. Mine has been flawless for nearly 2 years now. I have completley obliterated it against a rock, and I just needed to change out the bent derailleur hanger to get going again. Zero adjustments after the crash, and honestly, zero adjustments since I got it in 2021. The battery lasts forever; I have only charged it a handful of times since I have had it.

It syncs up to my Wahoo computer, and I can see exactly what gear I am in on the computer. Surprisingly, I use this a lot. For example, on a new trail, I might come around a corner and see a steep climb. I can just glance at the computer and immediately have a general idea of how many quick shifts I need to make before the hill. Of course, you can look down at your chainring pretty easily, but the computer allows me to keep my head forward. The SRAM app will also do some data analysis for you and will tell you how many shifts you make and how long you spend in each gear. I don't use this a ton, but a great way to compare efforts to gauge fitness, and it could be really helpful for a racer.

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I always found it interesting that the bike snobs would turn their nose up at the shifters w/ gear indicators...

but now that it's electronic, it's the bee's knees. :crackup:

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. Greenhound386

Haha! One of those things that I certainly don't need, but damn, do I really like having it. In the photo, the bottom-right graph shows which cog I am on.

Attached Files:

6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

That’s pretty cool.

7. Spooner

Well, it looks cool at least haha! Just tossed it on and took it for a spin up the street and it’s pretty damn cool. Need to work on the ergonomics of the shifter and it’s going to take a while for my brain to not default to the Shimano mechanical lever setup that I’m used to. Setup was really pretty easy. Need to get the app and all that but I’m out of time to mess with it tonight. Hope to give it a try this weekend at some point.

IMG_2313.jpeg

8. Greenhound386

Buttons are customizable if you want to switch which one shifts up versus down.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The AXS upgrade kit is much more affordable than I thought it would be. Hmm.

10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah that's a good point. General feel and handling characteristics is what I want to get out of most demos. I have a shock pump so I can tweak the suspension settings a bit if I need to during a demo afternoon.

That 25-26 lb range is where I'd like to be on the next bike.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have a cat 1 friend that absolutely loves grip shifters on his mtbs.

12. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I'm amazed constantly at the beating mine takes on rocks here in AZ. Only thing I ever do is change batteries. I have two sets of wheels, they seem to have some production variances so I micro adjust using the app whenever I swap around and just memorize the adjustments. Takes two seconds. I'm curious on the new Transmission, one of my riding buddies got it and I took a spin. I just can't justify it until I somehow kill this derailer I have now.

Maybe Angel Fire in the next couple weeks will do it:crackup:

13. Spooner

Yeah if you're already on 12 speed it really isn't bad. I had to get a cassette and xd driver for my wheel so that was a chunk more. But from what I've read the XX1 cassettes are pretty hard to wear out so I figure it will last me until they go to 17 speeds or whatever is next.

14. onepusher

onepusher Socially Inappropriate

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Spooner and ekraft84 like this.
  16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I went riding with a friend of mine who has a prior gen Banshee Phantom frame with 120/120 travel. We swapped bikes at one point in the ride. His bike was easily 10 lbs lighter than mine, if not more, and much more agile around our tight and rocky switchbacks compared to my purple sled. Getting seat time on that bike really reinforced moving to a shorter travel trail or downcountry bike like a Spur, Ibis Ripley or even an Epic Evo.

17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It's what they have done the last couple iterations of the epic line. Full on copy of a new geometry (after mocking it) bike, then full on copy of the super. They knew they had to drop the POS brain shock, and now they have a new proprietary shock. Standing operating procedure at special ed.

Senna likes this.
  18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

AXS is really nice. It's like quickshifters when they first came out.

SRAM "transmission" recently came out as well. Even better/the next iteration. Capitalizes on a couple things Shimano was well known for like shifting under load. All you need is a bike/frame that is UDH compliant.

19. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Soooo true, lol.

20. Spooner

Yeah my Tazer isn't UDH but the next gen one will be so I may try that on the next one. The new ebike only Shimano setup is pretty sweet though too. The ability to shift when coasting is next level. I've always preferred Shimano on mountain bikes more because I really prefer the ergonomics of their shifters but I'm digging the AXS. Got to ride it saturday and it took a little to get used to but you're right, its like the first time you use a quick shifter. And you can really bang through the gears in no time.