1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mazda 3 - first generation 2003-2009

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, May 9, 2023.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Shopping for a first car for my son who gets his permit this month and I'd like him to learn on something that he'll actually be driving a year from now.

Came across a 2008 Mazda 3 (the hatchback version) with the 2.3 engine but I know nothing about them.

My roommate in college had a Mazda Protege and he beat that thing to death and was damn near bulletproof.

What say the beeb on these older Mazda's?

2. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

I loved mine. Got it with 17k miles and got to around 180k ish before some gal rear ended me and a few more cars. The rubber engine mount was a weak part but i only replaced it once or twice and its easy and cheap. I did have a tranny issue later on, took it to a store and they "fixed it" but this was very close to the car being totaled. Fun car for sure and i still miss it

BigBird and NemesisR6 like this.
  3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Not a fan on the 2.3's for the oil burning issues they're known for. Mine is a 2.0 and the 2.0 has a reputation on pretty bomb proof. It's gutless though...turning on the A/C feels like you yanked on the e brake. Mine is a '09. Cheap, easy to work on car. Had to replace the radiator...$50 off ebay brand new. Parts are cheap!

NemesisR6 and BigBird like this.
  4. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

damn.. my kid's spoiled. She's getting a 2014 Q50 as her first car.

BigBird likes this.
  5. MrGooch

MrGooch Well-Known Member

I had a 2008 2.3 sedan with a manual transmission. Bought at 130k and lasted until 212k miles, never parked inside, beating the hell out of it the whole way. In the 8 years or so I had it the issues were:

1) Rubber motor mount needed replacement just like Sanee's.
    2) One of the front tie rod ends worked loose and had to be retightened (minor issue but rendered the car undriveable by most standards)
    3) There is a braided flex pipe in the lower section of the exhaust manifold. Mine eventually rusted out and a replacement manifold was worth more than the car, so the whole thing was scrapped.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Still have the 2008 5-door I bought new. Currently has over 270k on it. Motor has 59,600 miles less than that. It was replaced under warranty when it spun a bearing. That original motor used oil, and I neglected to get the oil changed at my usual 10,000 mile interval. They pulled the valve cover, it was nice and clean, so it got replaced for free. I have always run Mobil1 in it. The current motor uses about 1/2 of a quart in 10,000 miles. The body is starting to go(Minnesota), put a clutch in it @239k(daughter even learned to drive on that clutch.
    All in all, its been a great car. A cleanish one would be a great first car.

7. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

I just picked up a 2007 Mazda5. Same basic car, just a mini-minivan. $300. (Thats right, not $3k) 106k miles. Fairly clean now that I cleaned it - ex kid hauler. Spent over twice that on maintenance items, as it had sat for a bit. But running strong now (cough!).

It will be my daily driver/beater for the next 5 years or so. Or until someone crashes into me. Or it rusts out.

Attached Files:

YamahaRick likes this.
  8. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

oh yeah the ac kinda sucks especially here in the hot south

9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I had a 2005 2.3L with a stick and it was awesome. Transmission was great and the 2.3L was great. I was happy it used a timing chain and not a timing belt. The guy I sold it to after we put 120,000 miles on it texted me a few years later and said it was the best car purchase he ever made and thanked me.

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'm in FL so this would be concerning. Just not able to keep up? Does it always do poorly or just when sitting in traffic?

I bought a Toyota Camry last year for my daughter. 2006 model that only had 46K miles on it owned by some grandma that barely drove anywhere. Car has been fantastic so far so I'm trying to find something older but well cared for.......first cars are to prove yourself and get you where you need to go as economically as possible. Hopefully these cars will last them as long as they need them to.

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

The 2.3 is a Ford engine and they are known to blow up. They are also very prone to rust and there was a goodwill program from Mazda to get this issue repaired. And the repair was also quick to rot, so have a good look around the fenders.

12. Superchikn996

Superchikn996 Well-Known Member

I had a 2012 with the sport touring package (the one had the goofy grin on front) stock bridgestone tires sucked, brakes were good, power OK. Very fun to drive handled really well, was a blast in tight roads. It was really good on gas parts are cheap. Had the premium sound Rockford sound system, hands free was good.
    AC worked fine in Florida once tinted windows.
    Interior was cheezy made, door panels and dash would dissolve with citrus based cleaners.
    Windows very soft, scratch super easy.
    Other than those quirks was a great little car.

13. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I have an 08 2.3 automatic with 278k miles on it. I got it with 160k miles on it. Guy had all the records for it. So far other than brakes, oil changes, a pcv valve, plugs and tires it's been bullet proof. I put a new ac compressor, dryer in last summer and it made a world of difference. Being in PA it is starting to rot out. If it's clean I would buy it.
    It's had less issues than my wife's 2018 we bought new.

BigBird likes this.
  14. nowayout

nowayout Well-Known Member

The 2.3 is great especially for the first car. Im sure you aren't spending a fortune on the car. It will last your son till he gets his next car however long that may be. Just try to find one from someone who has owned it for awhile and has some maintenance records.

15. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

yeah on super hot days it just wasnt able to keep up, at first i thought the system needed more free on but that wasnt the case and consensus was the ac was a weak link.