1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2023 Supercross Season

Discussion in 'General' started by Once a Wanker.., Jan 5, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

You think he's done? I'm 50/50 on that.

2. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

He was going retire after this SX season until Yamaha tossed a bunch of money at him to race MX. It's a yearlong recovery for this injury and even then, to get back to the standard that he needs to win vs Jett & Chasse and at his age? not likely.

5axis, brex and skidooboy like this.
  3. rwdfun

rwdfun

Uhg. Just watching the end of the 450 now. Eli deserves this championship. I’m not feeling like Sexton is the legit champion. He was a distant 3rd until both Webb and Eli got hurt but the record will show he is

So next year will be the Sexton/Jet show? Jet is coming up at the perfect time. No Eli and only other aging vets. This season is bad luck for Hunter. Sexton default winning the champ keeps him in the Honda seat for at least another couple seasons. If Jet hands him his lunch next year maybe Honda will rethink. I can only hope that the Lawrence clan keeps their plans for Hunter secret and then chooses the East/West that Deegan is racing to keep that punk from winning a 250 championship. Just keep blocking him until Hunter moves to 450

Bugslayer and Senna like this.
  4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I believe Chase leaving Honda is something Chase wants, not necessarily Honda. So many rumors of him to KTM for next year, but not yet solidified.
    Only way Honda loses out on the 450 MX title now is if Chase and Jett take too many points from each other (or take each other out) and let someone else sneak in.
    The 250 MX title is the only one they may not win for '23.

Senna likes this.
  5. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Jeremy Coker will now be shopping for some star power for the Star Racing Team. Perhaps Yamaha might have the #1 plate on one of their SX bikes next year?

I'm sure Kenny is now more excited for the outdoors series to get underway. Remains to be seen if Dylan has any fire in his belly left this year.

I for one will not be surprised if Jett rides a 450 next weekend, which has been speculated since even before Eli's injury and exit. Hondas 1 and 2 in the 450's is more impressive that a Jett vs. Hunter battle in the 250's. It's clear that Honda is building it's future around the Lawrence brothers. They may even turn their 250's next year to a support team again, with them having no 'up and comers' being groomed currently. Chase will likely not be 'bowing down' to his Honda 450 next Saturday night, imho.

I am still gutted for Eli, but recognized last night, while extremely heartbreaking, at least he isn't exiting the same way Wayne Rainey's career ended, or worse yet. I still feel Eli should have been attempting to earn his 4th SX title this year, if his Kawasaki team had replaced his front wheel in Texas years ago when battling Dungey, instead of simply cutting his front brake line, early in the race when he bent a front brake rotor.

I too am on the fence about if Eli will be okay with ending his career this way, or if he'll want to prove that he's able and willing to recover to at least race a few select races. It's both good and unfortunate at the same time, that the Tomac family has learned to be so good at keeping their family life so private. No matter what happens, Eli will remain a role model for future racers to aspire to be like. I've been fortunate to have been a fan of US MX and SX for the 50 years they have existed, and have enjoyed following Eli's tenure every bit as much as any other champion before him. Grateful my family has been able to enjoy watching, cheering for him and following him for all of his professional career.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
    Bloodhound, Senna and brex like this.
  6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Webb back at Yamaha. Honda has Hymas in the pipeline, and unlike years past where they have squandered opportunities they have been doing a good job with him. He'll be racing the opposite 250 series from Hunter next year. But aside from him, they don't have much going on to backfill Hunter the following year.
    I think Ferrandis will have the fight and fire, Roczen is really good with MX, but that Suzuki on longer, bigger tracks? So much doubt.
    Hampshire signed an additional two years with Husqvarna, supposed to be 250, but I'd like to see him get moved to 450. Stewart will be back as well, and maybe he'll get a few wins. But he's past title time.
    McAdoo and Shimoda are a couple more I'd like to see go to 450s. Another year in 250s would be a waste. Yes, title opportunity and beat bitch boy deegan, but being selfish I'd prefer to see them move. The new faces need to start getting their chance.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I forgot to mention David Bailey's unfortunate end to his rising star career, among others major injuries.

brex likes this.
  8. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I almost feel sorry for Chase Sexton. If he wins the title, he'll always have to listen to the "you never would have won it without Eli's injury" line. He ain't the first to get one like that, but it won't take the sting away. Now he will have to contend with the ascension of the Lawrence brothers and if Jett knocks him off at the first attempt, it only bolsters the negative view of him.

9. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

tired of hearing Chase didnt earn the position he is in. it is a CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES! You have to be there for all the races, all the points, mechanical, injury etc... yes, it sucks Tomac and Webb are injured and removed from the championship but, again... it is a series, and total points win. what would you guys be saying if Tomac crashed out, or Webb or Tomac had mechanical failures? that is racing!!! LET IT GO! Ski

Bloodhound, socalrider and ToofPic like this.
  10. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

and....all those races he crashed out of,but he's still here.He could have just as easily been injured,and probably should be! I wouldn't dis credit his championship,ever.A frog wouldnt bump his ass with wings,but he aint got no wings! Chase earned it,good and bad

socalrider likes this.
  11. skidooboy

Chase has only finished off the podium 4 times this season (16 races so far), his worst finish was 10th. other than that, he has 2, 5ths and 1, 4th... not like he wasnt running up front most of the season. he wasnt gifted anything... Ski

socalrider likes this.
  12. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Toss in a Ricky Johnson as well as Ron Lechien

13. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Wheelchair Pimp

Sucked to see Eli go out like that. Was looking forward to outdoors with him battling the young guns. Chase handled his interview like a champ afterwards, you could tell he Def didn't want to win the title like that again. He won his first 250 title in a similar fashion.
    Curious to see what happens to the silly season predictions now.

brex likes this.
  14. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Chase’s interview shows it loud and clear, he knows what happened: The third place guy (third because of his own mistakes on the track) wins a championship because of bad luck for first and second places. He didn’t earn this championship on the track, his on the track performance earned him third place.

Tomac beat him like a drum, last year and this year. It was luck, plain and simple. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good, sure, but don’t mistake luck for earning the championship with good performance.

Remember, all anyone talked about all year was Sexton’s incredible speed punctuated by his numerous failings on the track—his lack of mental strength. And that was an accurate read on his performance.

What ultimately got him the championship was Tomac’s tendon rupture, and Cooper’s crash. And from the looks of it Tomac’s injury didn’t occur because of any riding mistake on his part, just the failure of a tendon at the end of Tomac’s long and noteworthy career. This one will always be remembered as a “yes but” championship.

15. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I’ve never really liked Eli, but you can’t help but be amazed at his abilities when he’s in the zone. The series is definitely going to be weaker without him.

ToofPic likes this.
  16. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Gypsy Tales has decided that the narrative needs to be that it was problems with the Honda, not any mental lapses on the part of Sexton. It's OK to accept the fact that both luck and skill combined to make this championship possible. I know that's against the policies of both haters and acolytes, but it is the proper evaluation of how the season played out.

ToofPic and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  17. ToofPic

Jimmy Button ,Ernesto Fonseca were two more sad endings

18. ToofPic

Eli ruptured his tendon because HE! made a mistake,the same way Sexton made mistakes crashing. Its called racing.It involves survival,and endurance.You have to finish the season to win a championship.Hand out all the ass you want,but if you cant finish the season,your not champion.Chase finished the season,and is your 2023 Champion.Remember that when he's on that KTM and that #1 plate next season. Its like when I followed those dog shit Atlanta Falcons,they were a great 2 qtr team,but football requires 4 .

Big T and socalrider like this.
  19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Roczen skipping MX for WSX, and committed to three more years of SX. That's quite the shocker, both skipping a discipline he's really good at AND going three more years of SX.

20. skidooboy

SX pays WAY MORE, than MX. but, bigger risk, more reward. Kenny needs another factory ride with more money behind the bike, to get him his last few years. he could fit in at Star, or even go back to KTM, (Husky, or Gas Gas, heard Troy Lee could add a 450 spot). lots of 250 guys in the pipe for Honda, and Kawi, for the 450 rides so... it is about his only option. unless he gets a ride with Club MX Yamaha or something but, that is still a "second tier ride".

I saw a video from Eli stating, he had the tendon repaired already but, wouldnt commit to returning, or retiring at this time. Ski