1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The wait is over. Need help from the iracing gods on the beeb..

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I gave up the Obutto V1 and put together a Trak Racer TR160 Mk3 and an SFX-100 setup.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2023
    418, Dan Dubeau and G Dawg like this.
  2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Have not been doing much racing .
    Last couple of leagues I tried were full of IR sandbaggers .
    Had thoughts of selling my motion rig and going back to the one I built .

3. Venom51

I resisted motion for a long time as you know. I was always worried about the accuracy and timeliness of the information. I sort of feel like a idiot now for not doing it 3 years ago when Charlie built his. Having the track surface information is worth the expense. It allows you to work with more information, even if it is not perfect, and I don't think I can go back at this point.

4. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

I kind of wish I still had VR hooked up with the motion rig. The immersion woukd be amazing. Someday I'll do it just for fun.

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Biggest thing I get out of my in rear traction loss.
    Saved my ass numerous times .

6. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

What series are we racing now?

7. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I pick & choose GT3 races .
    The league I'm in now had a Fun Race with the GR86 @ Lime Rock . Never drove the car before and I'm not a fan of Lime Rock in any GT car .
    The GR86 was a blast to drive, so I'm thinking about trying that series .

8. Pittenger5

Ive been doing mostly AI races. Though I have gotten into the production cars challenge or whatever it is, driving the MX5. Only issue with that serious is some of the tracks are garbage (they like to use shortened versions of tracks).

9. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Shut up.:D

10. Pittenger5

Shouldn't you be starting a new thread asking how many times to wipe your ass or something?

G Dawg likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

I must say I did many laps in GT7 using VR before my real life event at Watkins Glen and the practice helped immensely, along with all the youtube videos. I was pretty much comfortable with the track, but the elevation and G's, especially going up the esses are definitely something different. Without running those laps though, I wouldn't have gotten sort of up to speed as easy

Last edited: May 8, 2023
    G Dawg likes this.
  12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Now that my shoulder is jacked up and I am on a riding hiatus, I'm back in the Iracing world. I have fallen in love with the Porsche GT4 Cayman so I'm doing that series.

My Playseat setup is pretty rickety, I'm looking to upgrade. @Venom51 That setup looks pretty sweet. I see the TR160 on the Trak Racer website. What is involved with making it motion? I gather you really think it's worth it?

Also if I upgrade pedals and wheel (I'm on an old Logitech setup) what's the hot setup for that?

13. Pittenger5

Yes

14. Venom51

Depends on the route you take.

SimFeedback – SFX-100 – SFX-100 and SimFeedback hub (opensfx.com)
    If you want to do it fairly inexpensively then building or finding an already built open source SFX-100 setup is the way to go. That does require you to be able to do electrical wiring, mechanical building of the actuators and 3d printing if you can't find one the someone already built. I picked mine up gently used for $1400. Total cost was less than $2300 even having to buy a new chassis.

RS MEGA+ – eRacing-Lab
    If you want to just assemble a prebuilt version of the SFX-100 concept then there is the RS Mega+. A little more money but all you have to do is bolt it on and put power to it. This does require a software license for the motion application.

Then it just gets more expensive from there.

DK6 Motion System – Sigma Integrale Motion Systems

D-BOX Sim Racing | Realistic Simulated Racing World Leader

And there are more expensive and complex solutions. I'm an SFX-100 user. Erik and Richie are RS Mega users and Gary has a SimExperience setup. All are in this thread and can give you feedback. I'm very happy with my SFX-100 setup. It requires a little more direct user know how than some of the others but to get the best out of them they all require you to tinker with the settings until your brain thinks it feels right.

Having said that I'd do the chassis upgrade first, then better controls as the brake pedal is stupid important to good consistent lap times followed closely by more feel in your hands.

Simucube 2 Pro and the Huesinkveld Sprints are pretty popular as the go to setup.

Simucube 2 Pro | Direct Drive Force Feedback Wheelbase

Sprint Black • Heusinkveld advanced simracing products

The VRS setup is also popular.

VRS® Wheel Base | VRS

Plenty of other choices in that realm as well.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  15. Venom51

16. Pittenger5

What Kenny said. Def go for better equipment before motion. Motion is amazing, but I can't said it made much performance difference, rather than enjoyment difference.

Gino230 likes this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

I know I'm just a PS5 GT player, but VR is so much better than anything on the monitor

18. Venom51

How many 12 and 24 hours races do you run? VR is good but it can get painful in long races to have it hanging off your head.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Pittenger5

I switched back to monitors from VR for basically what Kenny said. Seemed like 30-35 mins is my limit for VR.
    That said, for some reason I can't drive dirt with monitors like I can with VR. So it's a give and take.
    If they can make VR comfortable I would switch back without thinking.

20. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member