1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going overboard as a dad???

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Feb 26, 2018.

1. breezie

breezie Well-Known Member

Army standards for grown men 2 mile run.

Age (17-21) -- Minimum (15:54 minutes), maximum (13:00 minutes) Age (22-26) -- Minimum (16:36 minutes), maximum (13:00 minutes)

I would.say he is good where he is at and should live as a kid. It's not going anywhere.

2. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

There’s a maximum? Like if you run too fast you’re disqualified?

BigBird likes this.
  3. breezie

Based on points system. Anything under 13 minutes is considered passing at a 100% but your min to pass at all is a 15:54

BigBird and R1Racer99 like this.
  4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Navy boot camp PT test in 86 was 1.5 miles. My time was 8 minutes flat. Passing even way back then was like 12-something. I thought that I was going to be our company's representative in the boot camp class PT meet, but turned out that the Illinois state XC champion was in my company, and he ran it in 7:14.:eek:

5. auminer

In the dystopian tome The Long Walk, Richard Bachman (Stephen King) wrote about a walking competition in which the participants had to maintain a walking speed of 4 mph or be "eliminated". That's less than twice as fast as 2 miles in 15:54.

6. breezie

My fastest time while serving was a 11:54 2mile.

BigBird likes this.
  7. auminer

When I was in high school, we ran 3 mile races in cross country, which I always hit at 16:30, give or take 5 seconds. I ran at a 5:30 mile pace whether it was a 40 yard dash or a frickin marathon.

Those who are trying to do the math, that’s a 7.5 40. :crackup::crackup::crackup:

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Wow! That is awesome!

Good Luck to lil Zocc!

pjzocc likes this.
  9. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Weigh ins tonight at 6pm! Fight card starts at 5pm tomorrow. #5 on the list.

The Boy is ready to rumble!! Can’t wait for fight night!!

PPPope, Yzasserina and BigBird like this.
  10. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

8D9337D6-E4FF-4630-8045-7A0F91476D07.jpeg 1C47A385-C014-4930-8041-676337CD17A8.jpeg 8AEAA9CD-20A2-4A39-BF8F-5BEBA8CB6249.jpeg 1FAEEEDD-619F-4587-9553-555720C49AF1.jpeg So Boomer did NOT get the W last night. One minute into the 3rd round he developed a non-contact nosebleed and it was a gusher. Couldn’t get the bleed under control and fight doc called a medical stoppage of the fight. Sucks that it went down that way, and I understand the decision (they’re over cautious with the juniors) but still fucking blows. Kid was in control of the fight and his opponent was all out of gas (was sucking wind end of R1).

He’s taking it well but still pretty disappointed. I told him today at lunch that after today, this fight is behind him and tomorrow it’s back to work (has another fight 5/6 in Rochester). Gave him today to cheat off his diet and took a ride to the Dinosaur for lunch. It was a good day.

He’ll learn and grow from this. And make him stronger in the long stretch.

BigBird, 418, Boman Forklift and 8 others like this.
  11. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Fight night this weekend if any of you ROC peeps wanna check out the event! Boomer is ready to RUMBLE!!!

F6403D8C-1142-4004-8F21-351FCC9922C4.jpeg

six6two and 418 like this.
  12. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Weigh ins last night figjt at 5 today! LETS GOOOOO!!!

758AB773-3A95-43A5-841B-400BFE61443E.jpeg

13. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

TKO R2!

Joe “The Iceman” Zoccolillo!!!

So effing proud of this kid!!!

1E3A6182-CEF2-460E-8487-C1B1A7D498DA.jpeg

14. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Fucking awesome following this thread over the years.

pjzocc likes this.
  15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

@pjzocc I have to ask, what's it like watching your kid fight? I'm just a hobbyist, but when a training partner has a big fight, whether I'm in the corner or in the crowd it's the most nerve wracking experience on earth. I'm dramatically more nervous watching friends fight than taking the walk myself. I can't imagine watching my own flesh and blood out there.

Congrats to the kid!

pjzocc likes this.
  16. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

@JBraun honestly for me… it’s a measure of how well we have him trained and prepared. Am I worried?

Ehhh… kinda sorta. But he trains with good people and grown ass men who hit him legit, so I know that he’s not gonna get hurt BAD in the ring (save some fluke thing). He’s prepared for what he’s going in to.

Now, I’m not gonna let him square off with a 19 year old who’s got 12 fights under his belt and let him have at it. Math ups are key. He’s not gonna get really HURT hurt by another 14-15–16yr old.

It is nerve wracking a bit. More for Mrs PJZocc. For her it’s the worry of injury. For me it’s the worry of failure. I know he is well trained and he is in good physical shape, and whoever his opponent is, will not hit him as hard as he gets hit in fight camp.

I just don’t want to see fail due to lack of preparation . I’m ok with him losing, and there’s much to be learned in losing. But if he’s as prepared as he/we can get, and he gives max effort, I’m ok with whatever outcome. His last fight was against a Canadian national champ. He didn’t win. He learned. He’s a better fighter now. That’s ok.

Am I nervous when he fights? Yes.

Am I scared? No. He’s a tough mutherfukker….

17. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

thanks for following. It’s a bit self serving admittedly but it’s now a bit of a chronology for me… and for those who are interested. If it’s boorish I’m sure someone will tell me

Boman Forklift and socalrider like this.
  18. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Nope, as dad to younger kids I think it's awesome. (8 & 6) keep doing what you are doing.

pjzocc likes this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I enjoy reading about your journey, if they don’t like it, they don’t have to click on it.

pjzocc, bullockcm and Yzasserina like this.
  20. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I am so effing proud of this kid for the dedication, hard work, and perseverance he has shown throughout his training. It’s been an amazing journey!

Today we’re gonna kick back, fire up the outdoor cooking apparatuses and enjoy what looks to be a nice day here in the ‘Cuse!