1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garth is it pre emergent weed n feed time yet?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave Wolfe, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I put down prodiamine at least twice a year. Never too late. I divide my yearly max application by 2 or 3, then apply. Try to catch winter weeds before they germinate/grow, and same for summer.

ducnut likes this.
  2. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Be careful with too much pre-emergent. it can/will cause your good grass to loose root depth, strength. it will also prevent your good grass from reseeding/rhizoming itself. Ski

ducnut likes this.
  3. Dragginass

For sure. That's why I'm careful not to exceed the annual limit, but if I'm late on getting it down I don't fret.

ducnut likes this.
  4. skidooboy

putting it on 2-3 times a year, when the pre-emergent works for 3-4 months at a time, prevents your own good grass from recovering itself. Ski

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Thats it. Nice score.

I’ve never used LockUp. It should still be as effective, because I don’t see Lebanon going backwards with their products. I’d definitely buy it, without hesitation.

For maximum 19-0-6 effectiveness, put it down in the early morning, with dew on the ground or in between rains. The moisture on the plant leaves will cause the granules to stick and the weeds will be laid down, by afternoon. I’ve never seen a granule product so effective at weed control.

Keep mowing tall. It’ll keep moisture in the plant, especially come summer. And, the height hides your discharge clippings, unlike your neighbor.

Be sure and skip your 19-0-6 application, this fall. Only use 18-24-12, at the same time you spread your seed. It’s like a steroid for seedlings. It’s organic, so it’s great for everything, especially ornamentals. Next spring, your fall seeding will be hardy enough for 19-0-6 and you can continue weed defense.

I’m glad everything is working out so well. Seeing your results is very pleasing, for me.

6. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

....I put mine down last month 3hrs east of Des Moines

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Last month was a week ago… :moon:

8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I use to use Surflan.It wasnt cheap,but washed in with rain,and was orange,chalky color on application,and easy to see what you covered.Also weed/and feed granuales.Pretty sure bag should have read feed the weed

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

“Weed and feed” products are usually consumer-grade. The manufacturer knows most idiots think “if some is good, more is better”, so they mix in a reduced amount of the components that kill grass, which are the emergents. It’s why I have repeatedly mentioned running a reduced rate with the 19-0-6 product I recommend. 2/3 of the recommended rate is plenty to be effective, reduces the amount of chemicals applied to the soil, reduces cost, and reduces the risk of killing the grass. It’s an advantage of using professional-grade products, which initially seem more expensive. However, with proper guidance, are actually much cheaper to use.

For example, this 1gal jug was $104. To the average person, that seems ridiculous and it’s very unlikely they’d spend that much, because it’s “just” their yard. However, it provides 64gal of product that’ll effectively smoke every weed in a cool season lawn. You can’t purchase an equivalent product, off-the-shelf, with as much coverage and effectiveness, for the same money. Not even close.

D22CDD93-AF3A-4D39-96CC-67E768ABE70D.jpeg

R1Racer99 likes this.
  10. skidooboy

Momentum Q, and Q4+ are some great liquid herbicides too. the smallest amount of q4+ I can buy at siteone is 2.5 gallons. the last time I bought that it was 350 buck but, it lasts me 2-3 years, for 2 lawns, mixing at 2oz per gallon of water, it makes A LOT of sprayable product. I wonder if my site one can get me that Momentum 4score ;) Ski

ducnut likes this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d think so. It should fall under the same parent product. When your store transfer product in from another location, they can always ask if that store have it and toss it on the pallet. That’s how I originally got 19-0-6 into my local store.

BTW, I’d go and buy all that 19-0-6 from your local store.

skidooboy likes this.
  12. Dragginass

That is not my experience with St.Augustine in the south. I'm not expert enough to speak to other turf/climates though. Down here we have "summer" weeds and "winter" weeds, and best practices call for at least 2x year application.

13. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Okay, April 10th

14. skidooboy

@ducnut scored enough for the next 2 springs. plus 2.5 gallons of Q4+. was worried there would be no more locally once this was gone, so bit the bullet and bought enough for 2 applications. will just need to find a nice dry place to store it now.

have you figured out what you will be using, when we can no longer get the "good stuff"? (proscape 19-0-6, with confront and dimension?) enquiring minds need to know. :D Ski

score.jpg

ducnut likes this.
  15. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Where dafuq is Garth at, anyway?

Banditracer and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  16. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

It's been a minute since he's posted anything here...

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d strongly suggest you go back and buy the rest of the 19-0-6 they have in stock. Monday, the Site One regional rep called me to see if there was anything I needed. I told him “19-0-6”. He said it is no more. At this point, there’s no equivalent.

The one negative of buying and storing this stuff, long-term, is it dries out. That doesn’t alter its effectiveness; it only makes it more dusty. But, go back and buy more.

18. skidooboy

My purchase yesterday gives me enough to two full years of spring annual application for my yard. they had 22 bags, before I bought my 6 yesterday. If you want the rest, maybe call your rep, and order from my store (Dimondale Michigan).
    You dont think the new formula with the lock up, will be just as effective? I may be switching to full on liquid herbicides after this is all gone. Ski

ducnut likes this.
  19. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Honestly all this stuff in this thread is for soccer moms and cross dressers
    Duracor with an MSO. 20 oz per acre. It has a 993 day half life.
    You will have the most beautiful pasture you could imagine.

ducnut likes this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d need to see how far of a transfer they’d be willing to do.

LockUp is only a post-emergent. You really want a pre-emergent, with a residual, as well. The key to control is to stop the weed before it happens. Then, you want the residual to carry on the effectiveness.

That’s an interesting product. I need to do more investigating and learn how it works, pros, cons, etc. Is that available through a farm supply? Does it require an applicator license?