1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP GORDON LIGHTFOOT

Discussion in 'General' started by StanTheMan, May 1, 2023.

1. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

One of the greatest voices of my era. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever recorded. Rest in peace, good sir. Heaven has better music tonight. He was 84.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Some of the best music ever.
    R.I.P.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Songwriter of many great songs.
    This one really sucks. Every time I have been on the shore of Lake Superior, I think of the Edmund Fitzgerald and the native name of the Lake Gitchigumee because of the haunting lyrics of Lightfoots work

RIP

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  4. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Love his melodies. Sucks he and John Prine are gone now.

stk0308 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  5. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

6. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Rest easy Gordon…

7. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

"Sundown" is one of the songs of my youth. It always reminds me of the family vacations to Florida, where we all piled into the Ford Country Squire station wagon and drove. He was a master song writer, for sure. R.I.P. good sir...:(

skidooboy likes this.
  8. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

"If You Could Read My Mind" was another song of his that still evokes fond memories from my youth. Wife and I saw him in Chattanooga a couple years back. Truly wonderful experience.

9. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

Somehow, I haven’t heard this song in years. Just listened and rediscovered it - really takes me back.

RIP Gordon.

10. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

The drive up Hwy 17 North, up the Lake Superior coast, is always complete when JJAM FM, or XM radio (the bridge), plays a song from Gordon. If you could read my mind, Carefree highway, and sundown, are some favorites to listen, hear on the drive. The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is a haunting song, that tells the tale of a harsh day on the big lake, with an outcome that raises the hair on the back of your head. I think about the song, the lives lost, and Mr. Lightfoot, when we are driving up the coast, and Ms. Superior is "angry". their is no hiding, or denying her power. RIP Mr. Lightfoot.

I'll take the ban. Ski

motodog650 and zertrider like this.
  11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

^^Thank you, Ski for that.^^

Another great one gone.
    Travel well...RIP. :(

skidooboy likes this.
  12. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Well-Known Member

Every time I find myself riding in bad weather I end up humming "The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

13. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

And that is the most beautiful drive in Ontario. SSM to Wawa.

skidooboy likes this.
  14. skidooboy

One of the best in North America, if you ask me. Ski

zertrider likes this.
  15. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

That song made me learn about the Fitz and her story. The radio chatter from that night can be found (YouTube has it) if one is so inclined. It is an interesting listen…

16. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Aw Man ..that is really sad news
    I had plans to go see him ..COVID screwed that all to hell in a handbasket..for many older singers.
    Gordon Lightfoot .was a consummate perfect songwriter I'm really going to regret not being able to have see him perform. I'm so glad...that he's left us with a lasting legacy.
    He'll be singing his tales through the winds above.

17. skidooboy

The Maritime Sailors Cathedral in Detroit, rang the bell 30 times Tuesday. One for every person lost in the Fitzgerald wreck, and one for Gordon Lightfoot. He passed away on Great Lakes Awareness day. fitting for such a man. Ski

18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

One of the greatest singer songwriters of all time for sure. Thanks for the music!

skidooboy likes this.
  19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

RIP Sir.....

20. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

His music was on repeat in my Dad's garage on an 8-track player while I helped him restore a 1967 911 Porsche growing up in the 80's.

Gordon's dulcet tones are embedded in my brain forever.

RIP to "Canada's Bard."

Razr and tl1098 like this.