1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rossi brand Ambassador?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rdrace42, May 1, 2023.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Kind of weird that he's agreed to become a brand ambassador for Yamaha, yet his team uses Ducati's. How does that work? I doubt they have a plan to go back to Yamaha, unless something dramatic happens with the bike in the next few months.

2. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Well its simple. Rossi will un-retire and ride the '24 yamaha to a world championship!

3. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

I too find this ultimately strange...must be a pile of moneyo_O

4. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Cant spell VR46 without V4 :D, Yamaha needs a V4 to keep up with the other manufacturers, would be cool if they build one for the series.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why would they do that? They already have 4 riders out there kind of sucking, they don’t need 5.

as for the brand ambassador deal, it makes sense. He uses Yamahas at his ranch, he’s well known for his time with Yamaha and he’ll sell a butt ton of bikes for them in Asia having his name associated with them.

Old yeller might be past his prime on a bike but he can still sell shit to suckers like few others can.

As for VR46 switching to Yamaha, who knows? Probably happen if they pony up the cash to the team.

BigBird likes this.
  6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Can't imagine VR46 has very positive thoughts about Ducati... at least not before the team's current success. Bet he would jump to Yamaha immediately if they showed any promise.

7. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I'm not negating his long relationship with Yamaha, but wonder how that works considering he's currently tied to Ducati for bikes. Yes, I'm sure he doesn't have fond memories of his time with Duc, but he's not dumb enough to structure a team around losing equipment. I don't see Yamaha investing in entirely new V4 architecture, so they're probably going to be down the field for years to come.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

His team, managed by His Dingus buddy, runs Ducati.

There’s a layer there that if you’ve had a beer or two that divides Rossi from the team and Ducati.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Zuk turned their inline 4s into race winning machines. I don't see why Yamaha can't do the same.

10. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

It's not that they can't. The Hyper Sports market is shrinking every year, and with all the political pressure to electrify things, it would be surprising if they could make the math work. My guess is it will be BNG on the R1 until it's dead.

tl1098 likes this.
  11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, I don’t get all these calls for Yamaha to switch to a V4.
    Honder is running a V4 and they currently aren’t setting the world ablaze.

One of the websites had an article a year or so back that went into the benefits and drawbacks of the various configurations. I wish I had bookmarked the article, it was a goodin.

12. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Because they can't compete with the V4 in terms of power output. Yes, Suzuki did, but everyone has taken a step forward, and my guess is that Suzuki would be struggling to keep up as well. There have been plenty of articles in a lot of places, saying essentially the same thing. The V4 is the optimal configuration for a motorcycle. Honda isn't setting the world ablaze, primarily because they can't get the chassis and the electronics to work together. I believe they were the only ones who didn't hire a bunch of Marelli guys to help with the electronics.

13. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Since this thread is already headed in new directions…. My random thought. Maybe Yamaha and Honda are struggling because they thought the future was electric and ceased development of the current platform. Instead the current future is non-fossil fuel.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, everything I’ve read and heard was that Honder went for power over other factors in their engine development (thinking they’d take it with electronics).

Hate to say this but sometimes the answer isn’t more power. Holy shit, can’t believe I posted that, must be getting old or some shit. :D

15. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Im all for abiotic petroleum. It works very well in my experience!

16. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

"Dumb enough?" I don't disagree with your assessment that it would be a dumb move but I remember when Rossi switched from the winning marque (Honda) to Yamaha and there were considerable naysayers. He shut them up pretty quickly. Then he switched to Ducati and I don't remember nearly as many naysayers. He managed to create a passel of them while riding the Duc. Rossi has a history of ... shall we say "bold" moves. Many of his bold moves worked well, some of them sucked ass. His decision to play mind games with Marquez springs to mind. I'm just saying I wouldn't be so sure about what he'd do. He's Rossi. He does Rossi.

17. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Until you're at such a disadvantage, that your exceptionally talented rider can't use the benefits of the bike you designed (Quat/Yamaha corner speed), because the faster bikes know they can park you in the corner and you'll never get past.

18. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Valid points....but don't you think he learned something from that Ducati experience? Other people had won on the Duc before he went there, and his ego told him he should be able to as well. With Yamaha, he had the extra motivation of having been told he was immaterial to the process at Honda. What would be his motivation here? To promote the brand? I think he's more interested in HIS brand, and wouldn't want the black eye that another failure could provide.

19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahahahahaha….you funny.

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

So am I :D
    Seriously, I did like 4 international bike shows here in Mtl as an ambassador for them. I doubt he has the same salary arrangement as me lol