1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Joe R? Will SDK do better?

Discussion in 'General' started by ttt637, Mar 24, 2023.

1. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Not for long I fear.

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Joe is still beating his teammate on a regular basis and be in the points more often than not. That should be plenty good enough to stay in Moto2.

motion and Steeltoe like this.
  3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

4. CRA_Fizzer

Pathetic

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

As was the Moto 2 broadcast coverage .

6. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I've given up on Americans in Moto2.

Beaubier had pace at times but needed a better team and it was time for him to start a family. Roberts passing the Aprilia ride might be the worst career move on 2 wheels, and now he's back to mediocrity. And no offense to SDK, but he outkicked his coverage by going Moto2 in the first place. He was the second best Supersport rider a few years ago in MA supersport....

5axis likes this.
  7. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Jesus fucking Christ you guys are wolves.

Setup is everything at this level, and there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes - stuff that the rider gets no input on - that can make or break the rider's performance. It's not a perfect analogy, but remember when Spies went to Tech3? He got fucked left right and center, but he shouldered it and if we weren't all rooting for him and digging up the real reasons why he was "underperforming" it might have looked a lot like today's difference between where Joe and Sean "should" be vs where they are.

Hell, even in my mediocrity I've turned down ride options with pretty-prestigious TT teams because I knew I wouldn't get any input on the machinery. I can't even imagine what that's like at the GP level.

Plus, on top of all that, there is such a thing as rising to your level. Not everybody is destined for the premiere class in Grand Prix. Finding your place in the second-highest class in the world is gonna be frustrating as a competitor, but it ain't too fuckin shabby. Don't shit on them just because they're not setting the world on fire. They're still competing.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    Namarow, Gino230, MELK-MAN and 6 others like this.
  8. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

To play devils advocate on this topic...

- Setup is indeed key I'm sure but #1 - Joe stepped right onto the Championship winning bike on a VERY established top level team so you have to imagine they have loads of data, top quality technicians, and a solid budget plus #2 - Joe already has a few years in the paddock and has seen all the tracks so he shouldn't be floundering with setup notes and feedback to relay to the team at each round. Plus - this class is damn near a spec class, 95% are on the same chassis, use the same engine, suspension, brakes, bodywork, electronics, etc... There's precious little to worry about setup wise once you have a base level of spring rates and ergo's set up for the rider. Heck even tire pressures are mandated.

- Comments here - I see them more as Patriotic disappointment rather than "wolves" attacking these young men - I myself haven't been shy with my comments on CB4, GG31, and these 2 Moto2 riders. I'm not American but I still have watched all these racers develop from young kids and it's tough to not see them reach levels like Nicky or Ben. Frustrating from a fan perspective for sure as we've seen how talented these racers are on home soil so to see that talent not translate into results globally is tough.

- I 100% agree with your last paragraph Chris - there is a ceiling on how high all of us can rise up in a class and not everyone can dominate or win. But, that doesn't mean the expectation from the Peanut Gallery gets lowered - we just mouth off online behind our keyboards as never-beens - that part we can all agree on I bet.

Namarow, Gino230, cbush and 2 others like this.
  9. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

Italtrans seems to have suffered quite a bit since they won with the Beast in 2020. I assumed that many of the key staff left for higher paying offers once their profile was raised with a championship winning effort. Can anyone confirm? If not, the Beast's accomplishment is even more spectacular in hindsight.

10. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

i have steady been a hater on American Racing, and given the weird unexplained mysterious electrical problems, I am still holding on to that view. JR16 is a rider who had a moment and otherwise is bang on average for moto2. cest la vie

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I seem to remember him actually doing all right there. It was his second year on the factory team that was bad.

12. motodog650

motodog650 pissed-off bloody wanker

henry_carlson likes this.
  13. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

meh... I gave up after Beaubier came back home. I dig Moto2 and that was a dogfight between Acosta and Arbollino. Watching JRob slide down the order sucked.

motodog650 likes this.
  14. CRA_Fizzer

Another uninspired ride by Joe Hollywood. SDK another non finish. How long do both have left on their contracts...

15. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

The shame is that (IMO) both Gerloff and Beaubier are better riders.

T_Hags, Skter505, 5axis and 1 other person like this.
  16. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Not a good day, yet again. I can’t imagine how SDK’s Moto2 experience could be worse. No idea how much to pin on him vs. bike/team, but I don’t see any way he could get a ride elsewhere.

17. henry_carlson

sdk is in his last year, no clue on JR16, we never got a re-up announcement

18. henry_carlson

over the 2 years sdk has scored less points (5.5) than he has dnf's (6).:(

19. CRA_Fizzer

Joe blows a great starting position. Geez.

20. motodog650

motodog650 pissed-off bloody wanker

Yep... Was almost front row Joe again but then ended up being the more common mid-pack Joe in the race.