1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cordless tool sets?

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Not for the ballers here... but the Bauer stuff at HF seems pretty solid for home use. They've got a sale going until the end of the month that is a 5ah battery for $65 and get a "free" tool. Hammer drill, 3/8 impact, circular saw, jig saw, recip, and a few others on the offer. They offer dual chargers now fairly reasonable. Everyone cried about shitty HF freight stuff until the Predator genny caught on, now it's everyone's sweetheart. Maybe these tools are next?:p:D

BigBird likes this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I saw that HF was making an anvil of better quality than their previous offerings. It could be that they, first, had to make a presence large enough to support providing tools of better quality.
    Is Sears' tool department back in the business? :D

Brad likes this.
  3. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I have friends that are engineers for DeWalt, and they can get me whatever tool I want for 50-75% off retail.

I’ve never taken them up on it, I’d rather pay full price for Big Red.

As a pro who works the hell out of my tools, Milwaukee’s just flat work. No drama, no bullshit, they just get the job done.

sharkattack likes this.
  4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I have a buddy that gets a nice tool budget for every contract he's on, and gets to keep them when it's over. He's amassed a nice collection of red stuff over the past few years and recently started sharing the wealth and gave me an M12 angle die grinder a few weeks ago as my first red battery tool. Always been a Makita 18v guy for the big stuff, but will be replacing my aging Hitachi and Makita 12v stuff with Milwaukee in the future.

The little die grinder with 2" roloc discs has become my new favorite tool over the last few weeks. I'm already bugging him for another one lol.

Phl218 and tony 340 like this.
  5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Crazy thing about the Milwaukee line is there wre tools now that aren't even Milwaukee that are using their batteries.

I was on a job last summer and these guys had a hydraulic nut buster that ran off m18.

Few months ago was on another job and the plumbers had a sewer camera snake that ran off m18 also, but now Milwaukee is making their own.

They have a MX fuel line for real commercial stuff, the light tower is pretty amazing.

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

The Milwaukee bandsaw is legit for cutting 4" angle iron in middle of nowhere. There are 2 sizes of saw

gapman789 likes this.
  7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

the Milwaukee rivet gun, is nothing less than amazing! no air lines, or compressor to deal with, just plug the battery in, insert the rivet, and pull the trigger. it pulls the segmented rivets, like the one Yamaha uses, like the factory set rivets. best tool the wife ever bought me :D Ski

8. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Ya know me, I'm not down with made in China anything.... lol.
    But it to the point that you really cannot pick & choose in that department anymore.
    I have tools from every maker it seems
    I was loyal to DeWalt & Makita for many years, due to USA and Japan ownership & manufacturer ..but that's all changed.
    Makita made a awesome lil cordless slide chop saw back in the 90s. I still have it .it still works perfect and has probably cut 10,000 ft of wood..That's Makita.

Milwaukee,Ryobi, Craftsmen ,Hart,(Walmart) Homelight etc. Are all owned my the huge Chinese company TTI. Hell the own 60 elec subsidiaries even vacuums I believe they own Oreck Dirt Sevil ,Hoover, Eureka, Electrolux , Electrolux...
    Thats one reason you see Ryobi coming out with tools that are quite durable, alot of crossover design & parts w Milwaukee.
    When possible, I've just stayed with ( corded tools) for me I never have to worry...
    But if your a PC worker, or on the fly, Cordless offers a viable option + ( time is money.)
    The battery thing..gets annoying when you have tools from multiple manufacturers it's not the end of the world though if you stay organized.
    If I was to make a recommendation to somebody it would probably reluctantly go to Milwaukee.
    Buying from a Home Depot and a Chinese company... got to hold my head low..in shame.. Dear God that's as bad as it gets...lol Bread lines are next:crackup:
    All semi joking aside..For a home mech etc.. any of the companies offer more than enough..Ryobi will suit the average Joe great at a price point that can't be beat I know several people that two are the country they just buy Ryobi tools at every city they go to and end up just leaving them that's how cost-effective they can be and it beats shipping your tools around the country
    . Obviously the big 3 offer better trade tools ..
    As mentioned above that vacuum from whatever manufacturer and the blower those are the two things I use the most.. my favorite .. of course the made in Japan Makita chop saw... I have quite a lot of old Makita tools the old torpedo drills etc ordered a bunch from a guy on eBay a few years back who refurbished the old torpedo batteries I had a pretty cool collection of OG Makita's from the 80s... Never failed to garner a crowd on a construction site, it's funny when your cordless tools are older than half the people working there...lol

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Damn I miss that place. It was my refuge when the blonde woman tricked me into going to the mall.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yup. My entrance of choice to a mall was through the Sears tool department.

Sadly, it seems they went backwards into their decline. More and more Chinese garbage 'til no one in their right mind was interested.

BigBird likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

I've become a Ryobi fan more and more. Outdoor electric tools though, Ego is tough to beat. their quality is top notch. And Bauer corded tools are very good as well.

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Makita and Hilti are really the only major tool makers that aren't part of a big conglomerate. I own tools from each of those, and they are top-notch.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/power-tool-manufacturers-who-owns-them/

I have Makita drills and impacts that are 30 years old and still work. Batteries last 5-6 years, that's a given. Milwaukee tools (corded old stuff) was always rugged, but lately the ones I've used are just sort of average.

BigBird likes this.
  13. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Lowe’s carry sears hand tools now!

14. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Milwaukee for the win

418 likes this.
  15. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Oh yeah, anywhere but home. depot fuck them and donlop :flag:

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yep, I've got their 1/4" hex impact driver (bought a second I like it so much), the 1/2" impact, the pole saw, and something else I'm sure...
    It would be nice to have all my cordless tools in the same battery system, but it'll never happen. I have an impressive collection of chargers- Porter Cable, Bauer, Kobalt, Ego, Greenworks, Hart, at least one more I'm forgetting.

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

18. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I got an entire set of Ryobi tools 7 years ago I think 15 different tools a guy I know said he could not be seen with Chinese Ryobi tools as he was trying to become a general contractor ( he was young)... lol So he gave me all of them.

He promptly went out and bought over $3,000 worth of Milwaukee tools at Home Depot.
    What he didn't realize was Milwaukee is a Chinese company and whom also own Ryobi and Craftsmen & share not all but many components.. granted they are better.. but he has since had all his tool stolen 3x to the tune of at least 12k.
    I still have that El cheapo Ryobi kit I have broke the heads off two of the Ryobi drills, used their sawzall until it started to smoke & then burned up and did the same to an angle grinder...lol In all fairness
    I was using them far beyond their intended capabilities..
    But I use those since they were free for almost 6 years before they gave up the ghost.

He but the most stupid f****** tools like an electric caulking gun who the f*** needs an electric caulk gun? Somebody that has no clue what they're doing that's what...lol

So many of these younger guys have been programmed to believe that "the tool" makes the Craftsman, not the person.

I work with another dumbass dude sometimes that uses one of those stupid multi-tools to " do everything " it takes him five six times longer than breaking out a circular saw or even a hand saw guide & a clamp ..Ugggg. :(
    All they know is Home Depot and Milwaukee....
    It's becoming the norm...sadly I have another helpless friend that was freaking out over his desert toys how he needed the impact wrenches to change his tires???
    I just break out a trusty old t-bar and frankly works.. almost as fast if you know what you're doing?
    They guy is a nice person...but friggin helpless .lol basically I would just advise somebody think hard about the tool that you're buying and do you absolutely really need it is it one that's really going to prove beneficial time is money to save you a lot of effort then if so jump on It but I see so many people buying stuff that just makes no sense...
    I have a few old corded Rockwells, old school Porter-Cables and old Craftsman drills from the 50s and 60s , I have a 1979 10" Makita chop saw it weighs 40 godforsaken lbs..lol
    I can almost guarantee they will never break they have never dead batteries.
    I just like old tools granted I do not use those all the time usually only around the house.
    But all I may ever need is my baby generator.

Alot of today's guys could never make it without batteries they just couldn't do it...it's all they know

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  19. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Just bought a 1/2" Impact driver from Ridgid. It's super handy and I was really impressed at how it kept up a pretty long shot at loosening the rusty bolts on my VW dune buggy suspension. I thought for sure the battery would die. Nope, It kept going till it finally broke loose. It's the most expensive Ridgid tool I've purchased, but worth every penny. I suggest you pay close attention to make sure the torque specs on the models you look at though. It can vary quite a bit.

20. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I need one. There's no effin' way I can do that stuff by hand with the carpal tunnel issues I have. I didn't need to use the electric caulking gun for long, but it saved my ass from several days of pain afterward.