1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA book club/Whatcha reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by cortezmachine, Apr 16, 2023.

1. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Slowly working through the Southwest collection at my city library. Latest checkout is a 1942 reprint of a narrative of a float trip in 1911 down the Green and Colorado rivers. Written by the Kolb brothers whose photography studio was/is perched at the top of Bright Angel Trail. Appendix is a hundred or more photos taken during the trip, saving those until I get part way into the book.

Wingnut and 27 like this.
  2. 27

27 Well-Known Member

the Whistler was ok, lots of accurate stereotypes in it for sure. I like FL and can relate to the tribal issues and corruption in all sides of that story. I’m not a fan of lawyer/cop stories but I did finish that one.

3. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Finding Alaska is a great book about just that, doing everything Alaska has to offer. The author moves his family there for a year and does it all from whaling to the Iditarod to the bush. Too cold for me so the book was great and as close as I’ll ever get to that wilderness, in the winter at least.

He also wrote “A walk Across America” 1 and 2 which he did in the 70s. I read those after the Alaska book, I enjoyed them all but liked Alaska the best. In the Walk books the first trek is upstate NY down Appalachia to New Orleans, he stops and works and lives with people. The Walk 2 was the same but he found a wife in NO who went with him to the coast in OR, again all in the 70s. Interesting take on the world then and again 40 years later for the AK book.

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Part of me is scared Zeihan is right, and part of me is looking forward to a total global reset (in a good way, not the WEFs take on it) Any further discussion of him is probably best done at Phil's place so no one gets their panties bunchy.

LossPrev likes this.
  5. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I worked 3 summers in Alaska at 3 different fly in float plane only lodges. Worked as a chef in 2 and a fishing guide in one. Its an empty beautiful place

6. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

The True Believer - Eric Hofer

7. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I thought of you a bunch reading that book. They did all the shit you guided for... fishing, moose, bear, elk hunting, then whaling with the Inuit and all the crabbing etc...

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Endurance

Story about some stuff dicked men that were headed to Antarctica way before all the fancy marine electronics were around and got stuck in ice.

9. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

Wingnut and Rico888 like this.
  10. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

great fucking book.

have you read the 4th turning?

11. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

The one by Alfred Lansing? That is a great book, some real tough blokes there.

12. rain directer

rain directer Member

Clash of the Carriers: True Story of the Marianas Turkey Shoot of WWII
    Barrett Tillman

13. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

gonna start crime and punishment soon.

14. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

We started with some of my favorites and also what was recommended from teachers and friends.
    Found this article when looking for more books for the boys.
    https://www.artofmanliness.com/living/reading/50-best-books-for-boys-and-young-men/

Will be doing our weekly recap at the dinner table tonight.
    Next book for all three to read is "The Contender" by Robert Lipsyte. One of my favorites from childhood that I think all 3 of my boys will gain something from it.

We've read easily 80 books over the past 2.5 years. It helps that there is a no TV/video gaming policy during the school week. Saturday nights we do a movie. Again, going for stuff with meaning and quality.

15. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

Some of the movies we've watched over the last few months. Recommendations will be appreciated. (Again me and my 3 boys ages 11,16,16 )

Big
    Midnight in Paris
    Animal house
    Stand by me
    Fandango
    Coupe DeVille
    Grumpy Old men
    The Blues Brothers
    The breakfast club
    Sixteen candles
    Secondhand lions
    The road to Perdition
    The green mile
    Shawshank redemption
    Rocky 1 & 2
    Indian Jones 1,2,3
    The Outsiders
    Say Anything
    Weird Science
    Goonies
    Empire records
    Lord of the flies

gixer1100 likes this.
  16. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

The Code Breakers by Kahn.
    Historical and interesting.

17. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Loved it.

AMAZING accomplishment, as well as an undeniably awesome sailing adventure.

When ships were wood, and the men were were tough as steel.

Robin172 likes this.
  18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

I love that you guys are participating in this. I need more suggestions because I listen to about 6-8 hours of lectures and audio 5 days a week and like 4 ish hours on the weekends. I burn through a lot of material. Let’s keep it going!!!

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You, sir, get a special mention for this brilliant threadjack. :clap:

Wingnut likes this.
  20. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

ive done a few of these with my daughter (15), but some other great suggestions i didnt think of here!