1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SpaceX

Discussion in 'General' started by Chasbro, Sep 28, 2019.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I think separation would have been pretty ugly with those centrifugal forces. No kidding on staying together... that was amazing.

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Heh! Yeah, they have some work to do on that.

https://twitter.com/LabPadre/status/1649053476276797440

Attached Files:

chobes likes this.
  3. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

It is auto-FTS, and they had a pretty wide corridor for this flight. I too was expecting a bang a bit sooner, but apparently didn't hit criteria until that point.

motion likes this.
  4. rwdfun

rwdfun

I was more hoping they had planned for the booster failure eventuality and had an alternate plan to separate as soon as they lost control. Sort of like a launch escape system. Release light the ship engines as soon it rotated too far to recover

What concrete? Was there even any concrete under the launch mount? Not sure the water deluge system they are planning is going to help much. The mount looks surprisingly decent though.

Looking at some of the live cam feeds. Looks like a bomb site. It's probably going to be another year before they make enough changes and get clearance to launch again

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    motion and mpusch like this.
  5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Lol, more Elmo AI.

6. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Agreed with something close to that. Elon said right after "a few months" but...I think there's quite a bit of work to do here. The loss of the ship is no big deal and easily iterative, but stage zero has a lot of work to do.

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

They *have* to have a plan for a ruined stage zero, right? I mean, they had to have thought that this was a possibility. Can't imagine that Musk is OK with another year before another test.

8. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

This Dodge didn't dodge...

Didnotdodge.png

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Good footage of damage

scottn likes this.
  10. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Elon is the closest thing we have in the US to getting shit done/built as fast as China, Dubai, etc. not being political but, I hate Teslas, but he does get shit done.

a couple months I’ll bet the over, but inside a year I’ll take the under.

mpusch likes this.
  11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

It’s pretty easy to get shit done with blank checks and unilateral leadership.

tony 340 likes this.
  12. rwdfun

rwdfun

Are you referring to Musk or China?

tony 340 likes this.
  13. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

All I know is that when I'm fishing offshore out of cocoa beach and see 3 rockets launch in the same week its pretty fucking cool.

Steeltoe and scottn like this.
  14. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Gwynne Shotwell

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Everyone certainly sounded quite pleased when it finally went kaboom!

16. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

It did have a weird End-of-corrida vibe, applauding the dying beast.....

cpettit likes this.
  17. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

The countdown clock may have been off. I noticed the same.

This thing was at one time missing 6 of its engines. But one came back. I don't think it it broke up until ordered, for at least 3 reasons: 1) it was in very thin air. 2) the fuel in the booster was all gone, so minimal bending moment on the stage joint, and 3) it looked like there was some side thrust to counteract the missing engines-maybe the thrust intended to rotate just the booster for return.

mpusch likes this.
  18. 27

27 Well-Known Member

you staying in FL for awhile? When, where, and what was the last gig and what’s the next?

always like hearing your adventures...

19. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

AFTS was confirmed.

motion likes this.
  20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

ELI5... :confused: