1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ford Mustang Fanbois: A Few Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Apr 17, 2023.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Thinking through a desired project car, and need some insight. I want to buy a late model Mustang, and enhance the power and handling, while keeping within a realistic budget. It would end up probably being my last chance for a "hopped up" car - I'm getting too old to keep up with things. And while others are buzzing around in their electric cars, I still want to wake my neighbors on a Sunday morning with the beautiful sound of a V8, somewhat muffled, vehicle.

1. Would buying a car sold with a V6 motor originally have a lower cost of insurance coverage than one with a V8? Of course I'd get around to an engine swap asap, but I wondered if the engine type is coded within the VIN.

2. Engine: Coyote Gen 3 or God/Megazilla? How much of a challenge is it to install the latter?

3. Can an engine built to create 1000HP still be used in a car for daily use? I'm assuming with multiple tuning maps, it shouldn't be much of an issue. I just want something to have fun with on Test and Tune Nights at the dragstrip, and hopefully track days as well.

4. Whipple supercharger or twin turbos?

5. What model year car, used, disregarding the engine, should I begin with? In an ideal world, I'd find something I like with a blown up V6 that I replace with my desired choice. And yes, suspension and brake upgrades would be a priority over large budget engine mods.

6. Who in GA is a "go to" for this type of work?

TIA.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Not a Ford dork so not sure on a bunch of that, but with power adders you can pretty easy get 1000hp and DD. If you start with 500-700 NA hp and add some turbskis to get you into 1000hp range. You can have a DD tune that keeps boost low/zero and so drive ability is good.

If you use regular insurance then from the vin they will now what engine it came with, so that may help. If you use car hobby insurance then you would tell them what you have under the hood.

good luck. My opinion is you should do this to a Camaro instead, so you look less ghey. NTTAWWT.

:D

In Your Corner likes this.
  3. merle4

merle4 Menace to sobriety

Whipple if its gonna be street driven. Cant beat instant torque, even if not as much max power. 7-800 hp easy. There is almost nowhere that that isn't more than enough. OZ tuning in fla does wicked tunes. Pricy for forced induction though. Or you could just but a GT500 and be done with it. Probably similar cost on the end

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I got boss 302 for sale :)
    Roadrunner engine

6. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Can't think of the dealer but in Ohio there is a Ford dealer who sells turnkey supercharged Mustangs of various stages, just a matter of how stupid you want to be.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

there's a limit?

fastfreddie, vfrket and YamahaRick like this.
  8. YamahaRick

Remember, I'm not a baller like most here claim to be. This is a "budget" build. I'll spend $$$, but do it wisely.

9. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

When you say late model? Then also say a V-6.????
    Ford hasn't dropped a V-6 in the mustang 3 yrs shy of a decade now .
    Here's my thinking...

What do you want to do with it,?
    Do you want a daily driver? or a serious dedicated weekend hot rod.
    There's a vast area there between A & B.

If you want to go fast..that's EASY, My 88 LX 5.0 with only a Paxton 5 lb blower, could get into the low 13s in Low profile radials. That car even with a blower didn't make 300 horsepower!
    It was a Auto too
    3:73 gears
    GT40 intake
    Edelbrock heads
    Big Air filter.

SO HERES WHAT I'M GETTIN AT...
    If I could go that fast on the old pushrod V8 with less than 300 horsepower... NEWER mustangs are making friggin 400+ h.p :confused:Why would you even want to deviate from stock? Just slam gears in it 3:73 3:90 or 4:10s ..there's NO reason that car can't dip well into the 12s maybe the high 11s w more drag oriented setup.

Compare that with any newer hot rod road test that's pretty darn quick. Plus your not left hacking,welding, fucking wiring, breaking shit spending 2-3 yrs building a rattle box.

If it were me doing what your doing..
    It would be one of two choices all day, all night .
    1.) 65 Coupe w a modern swap, lowered road race track/ style. They look amazing..classic and prices are not silly Fuck stupid as a fastback..
    The other is a Fox bodied LX or Notchback. Goofy style, but I loved mine.
    They handle like a banana on a hockey floor though...but for hot rod straight line...old school hooligan -ism..hard to beat.

Seriouslly though...The 10 yr old or so newer 5.0s in dark green or black...are one mean looking machine, and since the suspension change there not suicide toys in the turns ....if one has the budget and doesn't want to spend countless hrs tinkering....price, performance and looks are ( all right there for the taking) , ready to go, ready to drive...just add gears and blast the 1/4 just as fast as most other gas burners

Nothing has ever sounded better than a small block Ford .
    However the newest cross plane engines .they sound like shit,same as the R1s...Yuk...they sound awful that's NOT muscle car sound..it's sports car.

If you were inquiring about all out $80,000 muscle car build I wouldn't even know where to tell you to start.???
    All that takes is Lots & Lots of money???

My advice is purely practical...if I can say that w a straight face;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Why settle for a whipple when you can get a Hellion twin turbo kit and make an easy 900 ft lbs on a stock 5.0 .
    Either route is going to require the billet oil pump upgrades...
    I have seen 2 mustangs w/ Hellion kits go easy 9s at 140ish during a T&T... it was their last runs of the evening.

11. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I have a 86 Fox body mustang for sale. 5.0 convertible Silver with grey interior, Auto trans but was planning on putting in a manual. Car is really clean. Fox body mustangs are super easy to play around with and hot rod out.

12. YamahaRick

I'm wondering if a car with a V6 from the factory will cost less to insure than one with a V8 (based on VIN), though the former gets an engine replacement down the road. And I'm assuming any used car will have a motor more clapped out than a WERA Novice's SV650, and will need rework/replacement asap.

Not interested in Foxbody at the moment.

13. YamahaRick

OK, I see now 2017 was the last V6. So replace V6 with Ecoboost in my OP.

14. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

Last year of Mustang with a V6 is - 2017 model.

Wrecked Mustang GT from Copart will probably set you back around 8-10K, which could be a decent starting point.

15. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Just get GT350 and do nothing but drive.
    If prices didn't go crazy I would have bought it instead boss. For that money I probably take Camaro over it.

trussdude and tony 340 like this.
  16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Mustangs are a terrible investment car to throw hot rod parts at.

You're way better off just buying a rousch/saleen/shelby from the start.

Resale will be way better and those guys know what they're doing most of the time.

17. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you are thinking of Lebanon Ford. As far as car dealers go, they are pretty good. My wife bought her Flex there and it has been there for all of it's service other than the rear brakes I just put on it at 50K miles...

https://www.lebanonfordperformance.com/

18. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

That’s the one.

cincigp likes this.
  19. YamahaRick

Cars? Investment? Do you work for @motion & @Bird ?

Phl218 likes this.
  20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

or build your own for much much cheaper. Anything "turn key" is going to have a convenience charge.
    There is a whole cottage industry of mustang performance parts

YamahaRick likes this.