1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk car tires

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, Mar 20, 2023.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Well water, high iron content. I try to stay in the shade when washing. No shade yet, the trees are still budding.

It's never been polished, it could use it. Is that gonna take out water spots? They're not bad and there's also the minor scuffs/marring that would likely go unnoticed on another color.

2. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Just looked at the replacement cost for the tires on the back of my recently purchased buggy.... $500.00 each!:eek: It can cost a lot to look cool! :cool:

Back of Buggy Small.jpg

cbush and BigBird like this.
  3. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

That’s nice! Fabulous color!

tgold likes this.
  4. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I went with Michelin AS4's. 100 miles and they seem nice. They had a decent rebate which saved $110
    I actually considered those vredesteins and will probably get them for my mazda 3.

BigBird likes this.
  5. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

If you don’t mind me asking, what did the tires cost you? I have bigger wheels on my C6 so it would probably be a little more but I’m wondering ballpark. I’m trying to decide whether to put new rear Bridgestones on to match the fronts that are fine, drive it this year on worn rears, or go all out with something like PS4’s.

6. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

I just paid almost $100 more PER TIRE for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S this past week than I did 18 months ago.

7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I have Advan Apex v601 on my mustang for street tire. Pretty happy with them.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

A. How many miles are you doing through tires in 18 months
    B. Costco Michelin Pricing with their monthly discount FTW

9. fastfreddie

(2x) 265/35R18, $325.99 each.
    (2x) 315/30R19, $417.10 each.

I went with TireRack for the tire/wheel package which includes new lug nuts and road force balancing.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  10. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

Similar here - Tire Rack:

2 x 255/35 19 - $580
    2 x 325/30 19 - $970

11. fastfreddie

Width seems to make more of a difference in price than diameter, huh?

I'd had other purchasing options but, given the freebies and no BS having to deal with multiple establishments, one-stop shopping was worth any difference.
    I still have to get the sensors programmed. Coulda bought the tool from TireRack for $275, local shop will do it for $100, no idea how much the dealership would want.

12. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

Yeah, looks like width drives price more than diameter for this particular tire (surprisingly).

Agreed - TR is a convenient and reliable source (I’ve probably ordered ~20 sets from them over the years).

13. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

I have a set of 19’s with winter tires mounted that I switch out. The 18 months was primarily stated for purchase price change.

BigBird likes this.
  14. BigBird

BigBird blah

with tire rack you also get 2 years road hazard plan. They will reimburse a patch or replace a tire if it's unrepairable.

15. fastfreddie

The right rear of my first set of PS2 ZPs, bought/installed locally, got a flat within the first year back in '08-'09. Michelin's warranty took care of it, gave me a new tire.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

A punture is not a warranty issue, it's road hazard insurance

BigBird likes this.
  17. fastfreddie

Ah, yes, that's correct. Either way, new tire.

18. BigBird

BigBird blah

it's also because it was a run flat, so they don't usually repair those.

fastfreddie likes this.
  19. fastfreddie

Went for the alignment today. Had to laugh...the Mich stickers were still on the tread. I drive way too easy. :D

Off to get the TPMS sensors programmed. The car is still reading the old wheels in the garage, but it's not effecting my ability to turn off TC which it normally won't let me do when a tire is <25psi and one of the old ones is, apparently.
    I'll ask about any interference with the new programming.

20. fastfreddie

SOooo...

The scanner/programmer that the local shop uses for the TPMS re-learning process is the same one that TireRack sells, an Autel TS508. It did not work.
    I went back a second time with specific procedural instructions from TireRack's techs via my salesperson. Their procedure was nearly word-for-word from the tool's manual. No choice of mode or applicable use would allow the car to re-learn the sensors.

As much as I dreaded going to the dealer, I was pretty sure they would have a more comprehensive tool and, I thought, that would equate to a more comprehensive price.
    It's not a difficult procedure if all goes well. Maybe takes 5-10 minutes, including taking the tool out for use, putting it away and taking my money.
    The dealer's first scanner was a hand-held that the tech walked out to the car with. It didn't work, so they had to pull the car into a stall. I'm thinking a minimum one hour service charge just as a course of business. Ten minutes later, success, and the corresponding bill was...

$12 and change.
    I shoulda went there to begin with...

BigBird likes this.