1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rob Tuluie

Discussion in 'General' started by Rdrace42, Apr 13, 2023.

1. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

My 300 is counter balanced, and the new BRC 500 kits for the KTM and yamaha are both counter balanced. The technology is here.

2. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Point taken...and I'm not even sure what my point was, as it's moot. Who needs 500cc if you can make it light, and give it 55hp? Stock 300 KTM motor (which BTW, that thing is one of the most fun dirt bikes I've ever ridden), in a Kramer like setup....would be a blast. Not sure about $11k though. If you're talking streetbike, then maybe something like a Honda CB300 chassis, and slap the smoker in it. Roadracer? I'm thinking you're going to want better everything, and I don't see where good pavement suspension would be cheaper than dirt.

3. 90kacoupe

The $11k is referring to to the cost of my TM Racing En300. Which is a hand built, low production number, aluminum twin spar frame, with KYB SSS forks, and an in house made shock that is a direct copy of an ohlins. It has efi, oil injection, servo driven power valves, and billet hubs with excel wheels. TM really didn't spare expenses building it.

New off road forks have substantially more technology in them than any cartridge street bike forks I have seen. I'm sure ohlins Cartridges or forks are likely on par, but nothing that comes mass produced is, and off road rear shocks are definitely much nicer than any street bike shock.

I would say do injection molded plastic for all the body work (just like the off road stuff) and try to keep it as cheap as off road plastics are.

To me it proves the possibility of producing a track ready road racer (or dedicated track day bike since the track day industry is so popular) for nearly the same price. It doesn't have to cost Kramer money. It could also be offered with a 450 for the 4 stroke people. Then maybe it would be possible to have near TZ level handling, with a bike that is as crash proof as a MX bike for around let's say $13-15k.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  4. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Wonderful dreaming.

In superkart class most are powered by 250 twins that make 100hp similar to the last tz, rs engines. There is also a 250 single cylinder class. There is one factory 250 single (maybe gas gas) that makes so much horsepower when modified it is required to run with the 250 twins.

5. 90kacoupe

I know its dreaming, but its a good dream. I just need to find a generous investor. hahaha

969 likes this.
  6. dave3593

I believe BRC, the people that do the 500 counterbalanced ktm kit, still make new 250 twin superkart engines. These engines are updates of the original Rotax engine that was used in 250gp.

Years ago Rotax made 350 versions of this engine. So much cool 2 stroke history.

969 and 90kacoupe like this.
  7. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

For some reason I thought you had the KTM 300...not the TM. Just coming off a nasty flu, so my brain is not sparking right. So the 450 single thing has been done, and still is I believe. There are a number of companies that build kits to convert dirt to RR. I don't think any of them have done more than niche business, as the 4T motors had generally had a really high maintenance cycle when used on pavement. Back in the day, we had Woods Rotax, and they would eat much larger bikes at places like Grattan. But 2T is the way to go for sure.

I know diddly squat about new MX suspension, but I'm not sure i've heard of them going with full active yet. The suspension on the new top line hypersports bikes are bonkers tech. Even some touring bikes.
    Your TM was only $11k? A new KTM 300 XC-W is $11k, so maybe it's older? Crazy quality on those things for sure.

8. 90kacoupe

I guess after taxes I was around $12k. but the gap between a KTM/Husky and the TM was basically nothing. So I went TM.

Off Road stuff is not active but there really isn't a way of using it. The conditions vary so much in the woods. I guess what I mean by more advanced, is the complex valving that is used to be able to absorb hitting a rock garden in 3rd gear and the bike stay planted with out deflection. There is a reason road racer for a long time have ditched the rear shock and off road guys typically just need to revalve. Traxxion even told me that on my super single project, revalving and shorting my off road shock would be just as good as a new penske. The bones are there for a good shock.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I think a really fun track bike could be built using modern 2 stroke tech. Think of an over grown Metrakit but with a fuel injected big two stroke with all the modern tech. (Fuel Injection, electric start, counter balanced, servo driven power valves)

I think where most of the super single and specialty bike fail is they use too many high end components than the average track day or club racer can afford. So the bike becomes unaffordable.

9. 90kacoupe

The other cool part about the TM. It came plated. So I have a 2023 (2022 build) 300 2 stroke that is street legal.

10. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I know what you mean about upgrading your dirt internals. The first time I did that to my bike, I felt like I was suddenly Jeremy McGrath. The transformation was amazing. BTW, McGrath was a moto god for all you younguns.

You're right that a fun track bike could be built. Who would buy it (aside from you and I, and some of the other oddball 2 stroke worshipers on here)? There's an entire generation that never felt the thrill of a lightweight 2T. I think most would just look at it and ask "why"?

11. dave3593

I'm not sure a track only bike that doesn't fit in a road race class would sell enough to justify building by main stream manufactueres.

But you got me thinking. How about a 300cc single 2 stroke (maybe 250) sport street bike. Some manufactures appear to be building epa legal versions as dirt bikes that have tags. With the modern advances I bet a 300cc single would be faster than the RS250 twin aprilia street bike that were halted in 2004.

12. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Just make sure you wear your Viking magic helmet

13. dave3593

I don't get it.

By the way, I got a kick out of reading all about the Tularis again.

14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

What's Opera, Doc? Your sig line....maybe you haven't watched it after all, and you've never even seen Bugs Bunny!

15. dave3593

Ooooo! How dare you imply I don't know Bugs Bunny!

My favorite politically incorrect line is "that's a nice fat opera singer".

16. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Bump so I remember to read this thread.

17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Spoiler* Alonso isn’t in it ;)

A. Barrister likes this.
  18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I’ll see him in two days. I think I’ll live. Lol. Seriously @fastfreddie pointed it out and it sounded interesting.

19. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

There's a ton of info about Rob and his exploits, but unfortunately you'll probably never have the good fortune to hang with him and find out what's REALLY interesting about him. For a guy as brilliant as he is, he's really humble. Never met a person like him who could go from "what if" to a solution in so little time.

20. 27

27 Well-Known Member

YZASS Bulletin***
    All F1 media has been blocked in your area. Use of VPNs to sidestep the measures will result in further sanctions against your viewing privileges.
    :Poke::crackup:

His tech is cool and I knew a rider for his bike when he was here but had no idea about his F1-MotoGP connections. Small cool world for sure.