1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rob Tuluie

Discussion in 'General' started by Rdrace42, Apr 13, 2023.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I hadn't seen a thread on this, but apologies if someone brought it up...
    https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/...how-skyscrapers-made-ducatis-desmosedici-fly/

I seem to recall him bringing this thing to BHF once... I think they might be stretching it a bit talking about it winning any championships. I knew Rob had gotten into F1, but didn't put it together he was helping in MotoGP. And here I thought these were all Gigi's ideas. This makes more sense.

cbush, motion, JBall and 2 others like this.
  2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

It's very rarely ONE man's ideas solely. All the greats from Steve Jobs to Adrian Newey, Bill Gates to Gordon Murray have always been great at both ideas and at putting together a team that could feed off those ideas and expand upon them.

Great article you linked too. But I wish it explained a bit that these dampers have to be tuned for a specific object and it's environment. There's companies like https://www.superbikeunlimited.com/...pension-mass-damper-ducati-panigale-v4-s-r-rs that mimic what's done in racing without the full explanation.

3. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Still love the Tularis. What a cool bike.

5axis and dave3593 like this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I keep a picture of it in my files simply to drool at it once in a while.

[​IMG]

cbush, trussdude, ORIF and 5 others like this.
  5. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Man, I can't remember who, but somebody I knew rode that thing, and said the vibration was almost painful. It had a ridiculous power to weight ratio. I'm guessing it could have used a mass damper itself!

rd400racer likes this.
  6. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I always wanted more info on his TUL-DA. It seemed like an awesome machine if you can get the vibes down.

The article states 75hp and 195lbs.

[​IMG]

ORIF, backbone and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  7. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

8. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly. The powerband on that thing was short and wicked.
    Great in concept... but never fully crafted before he passed away.

9. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

You're confusing Rob and Michael Cysz. Rob is still kicking. But you're right that the Tul-Da was wicked, which most people who've tried to build a CR500 based roadracer have figured out. Why Rob thought the Polaris engine was the solution....?

10. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

1994-95 timeframe I raced against Rob regularly on his Tul-Da in D-Super and Formula II. Very interesting bike, and I always enjoyed chatting with him; so smart and down to earth. He really enjoyed the challenge of doing stuff no one else had done, including trying to get the CR500 to stop shaking the bike to pieces.

11. He’s doing quite well and is very well respected in his current career path.

12. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

D-Super? I could see F2, not D. Pretty sure I only saw him at BHF.

13. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

Unlimited displacement, Formula rules for single cylinders. I race my 690 Kramer in D-Super currently.

14. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Guess that makes sense. I'll have to admit to never really reading the rulebook. I would just wait for Sean or whoever was doing race direction that day to say "nope". It was only a million years ago.

Man, a Kramer would be a blast in D. Or how about Clubman!

15. backbone

backbone scarred for life

This is still hanging in the back of the shop t1.jpg

ORIF likes this.
  16. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

ORIF and Banditracer like this.
  17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Twin cylinders?

18. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

I really think a Tul-da style bike with the new counter balanced and fuel injected 300cc 2 stroke could be a game changer. My TM en300 is so smooth and in Enduro tuning, makes 50-55ish whp. If a hand built 300cc enduro can be built for $11,000. Surely a road racer could be produced for Similar value. Off Road Suspension has to be more costly than street stuff.

dave3593 likes this.
  19. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I was being somewhat facetious, though the initial iteration of the Tularis vibrated enough to put blisters on your hands. Not sure he was modeling that part of it in his simulations, but pretty sure he came up with the right bar weights to make it livable.

20. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Your 300 is smooth, cuz it's not that big of a piston. Try to make a 500cc smooth, without adding a lot of size and complexity with counterbalancers and such. I don't remember the bore size on the twin, but it was also stroked, so either way it's a lot of mass and inertia jumping around in there.