1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dogs - Degenerative Myelopathy

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Mar 31, 2017.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Anybody here had a pup who's experienced this?

Our 16 year old terrier started showing very subtle signs of this (slight limp and occasional nail/knuckle dragging) about 1.5 years ago, and the poor thing is at the point now where she can barely support her hindquarters.

Oddly enough, she can still run through our large yard with relative ease, but when it comes to fine motor skills she can scarcely manage. We are discussing getting her a wheeled support system of some sort, but I'd be interested to know if anybody here has gone through something similar.

[​IMG]

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your pup. Up until I read your post I would have said no ... however, after doing a little research on DM, I think my 8y/o newfie might be dealing with this right now. My newfie was having a slight issue with one of his hind legs a little while back, and the vet, off-the-cuff, suggested it might be hip dysplasia or arthritis. I had my doubts given how my newfie presented (no pain and a seeming paralysis). Now, whatever "it" is, seems to be starting to affect his other hind limb in the same fashion. After reading up, I now understand that the MD gene is known to be carried by Newfoundlands. :( This will give me some talking point when we go back to the vet. It seems treatment of DM (at least in newfies) involves four basic approaches: Exercise, Supportive Measures, Medication (vitamins) & Minimization of Stress (here's the Link). While its not a cure for the disease, it might help delay its advancement.

3. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear :(

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yea, it's no question our dog is in the later stages of DM, and at this point it is all about palliative care. I can certainly be thankful that it doesn't seem to be causing her any undue stress or pain. She is quite ticklish from her midsection back, but that's likely more a consequence of the loss of sensation than anything.

At the moment, she eats well, gets exercise outside, and is generally agreeable............she has been one of those overtly "good dogs" her whole life, which is probably why this has been so hard.

5. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Older post, but I've had many dogs that have had DM. One of the first signs is hearing them drag their rear toenails on the floor. It's so sad to see them aging so quickly. Need to remember that they're aging in dog years.

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

This hits really hard. In my line of work I've known a few hundred dogs, some for most of their lives. It's hard to see them age and pass on. Worst part, though, is seeing a dog I've known for years who is no longer enjoying life if not outright suffering.

It's a gut wrenching, horrifically painful decision to have to make, but we owe it to them to have that strength when it's time to give them a gentle exit.

Got something in my eye.... :(

MrGooch likes this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

my old Collie started going downhill rapidly towards the end. We found a local mobile vet that did in home euthanisation... I wasn't about to put him through the misery of transport. I must have given her # out to 100 people & neighbors wrestling with the process of letting their 4 legged loved ones exit peacefully at home over the years.
    I found out today she has passed and her daughter has taken over the practice. :(

Senna likes this.
  9. chickenpants

chickenpants Well-Known Member

Had that with a greyhound mix. We were able to extend her useful life with a wheeled device. She was quite happy to go on walks with it. The timing of euthanisation was very difficult as she was an otherwise healthy dog in no pain.

10. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, most people wait too long . I realize that it’s extremely difficult, but need to think of the dog’s best interest. So sad as they entrust us with their well-being. I have something in my eye, too.