1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

12 lap MotoGP sprint don't count as a win

Discussion in 'General' started by Used2befast, Apr 4, 2023.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I love the sprints. They’re fun to watch.

Why not just be happy we get to watch more racing rather than bitch about the definition of the word “win”? Seems like a waste of time.

cpettit, jd41, swissrcr and 3 others like this.
  2. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Ok, great. We'll just remove the Daytona 200 wins from every superbike rider's race win totals. Normal superbike races are sprint races, not endurance races.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nor are they run on 600s. So, cool. :D

4. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

100% THIS. I don't see how you don't count this as a 'win'? I understand it counting for fewer points because the race distance is shorter, either way, I couldn't care less. I'm just happy they do it, because the racing is so much more exciting than a typical full length GP.

You can only expect people to race hard for so long during a 28 lap race. I think the sprints are the best thing to happen to WSBK and MotoGP in recent years.

5. prm

prm Well-Known Member

If you line up against the best and beat them to the finish line, it is a win.

The number of races and length of races has changed throughout history. Why all the sudden stuck on the current Sunday race numbers and length as the only viable metric?

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. :stupid:’s

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  7. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 3

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It was always 1 race per Grand Prix.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  9. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I don't care what they call it. But it's a win. Call it a sprint race win, I really don't care. But the way they are racing in those 'events' sure counts.

10. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Racers race, to hell with what anyone thinks. It’s just what they/we do.

11. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Jesus, you'd think we would be in mid-november with these 'arguments'......

Yzasserina likes this.
  12. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Times a changin’

13. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

No the "Real" Daytona 200 was run at either 750cc or 500cc, depending on if it had flat heads or OHV on the motor :D

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Never said it wasn't a win. A pole position is a win. Only thing I'm saying is you haven't won a GP until you win on Sunday. Or Saturday when they used to do it in the Netherlands or Qatar.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sure, but the people changing them said you don't get full points, so obviously they see a difference too.

16. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

It depends on what great prize you're trying to win. I don't think any single race win is the great prize they're shooting for. It's the championship. If it's the last race of the season and the guy leading the championship only has to finish 10th or better to win the championship the chances of him taking any great risks to fight for the win is pretty low. He'd much rather ride in a lonely 6th than be banging handlebars for a podium.

Which means they don't consider any single race to be the Great Prize. Every race is simply a means to an end. If Binder hadn't won on Saturday he'd be languishing behind Quartararo. Oh the ignominy.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The race itself is the Grand Prix. Not the championship. That's why you have a Spanish Grand Prix, an Italian Grand Prix, a British Grand Prix, etc.

I would need to double check but I believe the term even predates championships now commonly associated with it.

18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

:stupid: Plus the immediacy of it. The adrenaline. You celebrate the championship at the end, when your efforts are over.

19. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

All that is fine if you're more interested in what the term originally meant, or what it meant 30 years ago. The sport (as nearly every other sport) has evolved considerably over the decades and the current discussion is yet another example of the never ending battle between purists and progressives.

If there's one thing I've observed consistently it's that the progressives always win eventually. Artificial turf is here to stay. The designated hitter ain't going away.

And the Grand Prize in MotoGP is now the championship trophy.

Nicky Hayden won a total of 3 races in his entire top tier GP career. Danny Pedrosa won 31. One of these guys got the Grand Prize.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2023
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

There are still named individually to this day. It hasn't changed. Pay attention to the official names of the individual events, you'll see it. Sometimes it's in English, sometimes in Spanish, sometimes in French, but it's generally the same two words in that language in addition to the name of the country and the sponsor.
    Well, obviously, of the 57 in question, Pedrosa won 53 and Nicky 13. Any other questions? :)

Your issue is not accepting that they're talking about the prize for a particular event. That's why they add "championship" when talking about the lot of them. It is indeed a greater prize, but it's irrelevant in the context of individual events.

If you feel you're wasting your time, I will say this: it's better than arguing Bud Light advertising. :D