1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken rib

Discussion in 'General' started by Scott47, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Scott47

Scott47 Well-Known Member

Any advice on return to racing after doing this. I race 600cc microsprint on dirt. I dont want to wait 6 to 8 weeks. What about exercise. I swim daily.

2. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

the more you move, the longer it will take, i still have 2 that bother me from 2 yrs ago. and avoid comedy shows and pepper

3. Scott47

4. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

I guess it really depends on your threshold for pain, I’d recommend backing off the swimming & research a really effective rib protection vest either under or above your suit.

Razr and Scott47 like this.
  5. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Broke 6 last summer. They take forever to heal.

Not much you can do outside of maintaining a good diet; make sure your body has what it needs to repair itself. I had some other injuries that were a limiting factor and that I was looking after, but I didn't do anything for the ribs. They still hurt when I would sneeze when I had already gotten back to pretty normal activity.

CRA_Fizzer and Scott47 like this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

What did they say over on the microsprint forum?

Spang308 and Shenanigans like this.
  7. Scott47

I dont read any. You guys are way more hardcore so i thought i would ask here.

BigBird and Shenanigans like this.
  8. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

It fucking sucks.. I cracked two in November, I drank an allergy pill every day to avoid sneezing cause it hurt like fucking hell.,

Rest, don't lift weights. If you must, walk or get on a spin bike. Very lightly.

9. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Focus on a clean, healthy diet. High protein, as organic as possible. Cut sugars and processed foods as much as possible. Get well soon!

BigBird likes this.
  10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

And no booze.

11. Scott47

No booze isnt an issue. 20 years sober next month.

12. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Im cringing just at the thought of squeezing your ribs into a sprint car seat with broken ribs...

BigBird likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Last time I broke ribs, I was told to eat greasy cheeseburgers, lay out in the sun and suck down osteoporosis supplements.

Was told vodka as a pain killer was probably preferable to opiates, but only by a little. ;)

cav115 likes this.
  14. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

1600mg of ibuprofen a day! have fun:)

15. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Yep, once upon a Time had a disagreement w a big Ol Cowboy.
    We both got some good licks in the difference was he had a size 27 hand and a rack of turquoise rings...lol so I broke a rib.
    They all hurt but also depends on the severity of the break obviously.
    Mine wasn't too bad but it took about 12 weeks to heal.
    There's really nothing you can do ice though I would ice it every single night whether you feel or need it or not.
    Wrap yourself with a good compression bandage.
    You can try a lidocaine patch they work pretty decent sometime .

So
    ice
    wrap
    and lidocaine.

If you want to take Ibuprofen take it in 6 or 800 mg.
    Ibuprofens are really s***** thing to do to your body though it's f****** a bitch for your kidneys if you're on a long time.
    Frankly I think most ibuprofen is a f****** placebo..just sayin

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Drink plenty of coffee to keep the bowels moving freely. Just trust me on this. I broke a couple of ribs in a supermoto incident about fifteen years ago. By incident, I mean a bike hit my sliding body, catapulted me further down the track, and then hit me again. I still have knots on my ribs that are occasionally a bit tender.

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Skip the ibuprofen. Current research is suggesting that anti-inflammatories may be counter-productive. The reasoning is that inflammation triggers the body's healing defenses and interfering with that process may actually slow down healing.

Hotfoot likes this.
  18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Where are they broken? If you got hit in the broken spot would it have a high chance of coming free and hitting your lung or heart? If so wait 4 weeks for it to heal if not send it now:Poke:

SuddenBraking and Razr like this.
  19. Chand

Chand Well-Known Member

Get some BPC 157 and TB500 - it will help with recovery.

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

First time I ran a go kart, I did it without a rib protector and broke a few ribs. You might try and pick one up, it allowed me to get back out again a couple weeks later.

Razr likes this.