1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas For Car Instrumentation

Discussion in 'General' started by Johnny B, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

[​IMG]

I stopped by a high school buddy's place while down in Daytona. He was picking my brain about his diesel motor home. I really don't have any idea, so I'll throw it out here and a few other places and hope for some good leads.
    He has a Sprinter with a turbocharged diesel. On the trip back to Massachusetts, he had a bit of a malfunction with ducting from the turbo.
    He asked me if there was any place where he could get a set up that puts gauges on his dash so that he can monitor everything. Oil pressure, coolant temp, charging, boost, etc.
    It sounds like an ambitious project to me, but any leads would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Bluetooth OBD reader and corresponding app on the phone. I use OBDlink

if he wants to see a lot of values simultaneously, go tablet size

cha0s#242, BrentA and BigBird like this.
  3. Leo Sulpy

Leo Sulpy Free to wander

We use Bluefire pretty successfully.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Torque is a great app available on Android. Unlimited layout possibilities. You need to also buy an OBDII scanner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cha0s#242 and Phl218 like this.
  5. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Agree with everyone else. Bluetooth OBDII device with Android app called Car Scanner Pro. Very similar to Torque app where you can create your own dashboard except with this you have the ability to create a variety of text sizes and colors for your guage. Screenshot_20230326-072918.jpg

6. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

7. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Screenshot_20230326-122727.png
    AEM CD-7. Will need to tap into the CAN bus on the OBDII connector and figure out the CAN messages, the rabbit hole should keep him busy for a while but very doable.

8. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

ScanGauge2. Plug and play and no phone apps required. Plugs onto OBD and you can change what parameters you want displayed

Michael Hausknecht and cincigp like this.
  9. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

This. I have a ScanGauge hooked up in my Sprinters full time. With the latest software they can show anything you want them to.

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  10. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

11. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Just checking, but what year is his Sprinter?
    I have a 2019 and all that information can be seen on the "Performance" section of the display in the center console.
    But if not, then definitely an OBD2 scan tool and app would be perfect.

12. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

If it is the one in the picture it looks like an NCV3 so between 2007 and 2018.

BrentA likes this.
  13. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I like that Banks CAN gauge - that is pretty cool.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

I have a splitter for my audi, got a P3 gauge in the vent, however, i can read some codes through it but when i start changes or procedures through my other software (vcds) i am better iff directly than through the splitter

socalrider likes this.
  15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

16. socalrider

yeah i get if i was going to be installing a tune or making adjustments, pull the splitter and go direct. but just to read values AND keep the power running boards going while normally driving would be nice.

17. socalrider

YamahaRick likes this.
  18. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Resonator, I am guessing. What a hoax that setup is.