1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

So, what you're saying is, the rabbit hole gets deeper?

I'll give the white box a try. Thanks

2. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks Dave

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The white box is kinda everywhere, or used to be. The ammo hole is very deep. Online, local gun stores, big box sports stores, gun shows, newspaper classifieds...
    If you're in Texas, I think you can get it at convenience stores and possibly even church bake sales. :D

4. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

pay that extra few cents per round and stay away from winchester white box. Its hit or miss with different problems. Stay with the other suggestions of fiochi, blazer, s&b.......prices are pretty decent now for $250 or less shipped per case

S Tsotsoros, dobr24 and DaveB like this.
  5. Along with the others mentioned (Fiochi, Blazer, S&B) I’ve had great success with Norma range ammo.

dobr24 likes this.
  6. I’d also add grade school bakes sales :) Ammo rabbit hole is very deep. One thing I’ve learned just like confidence in a product that you have on your bike for example, if you think the ammo is shit it may be the ammo or it may be you.
    I buy mostly mid level ammo and for hunting high end. For hunting the amount of $ invested makes the ammo look like peanuts. I’m more referring to deer, etc. Yotes I use Hornaday Superpermance for longer range stuff when using suppressed ar10 and bolt action ole faithful heavily modified savage axis (long story about this gun but for some damn reason I usually end up grabbing it and it’s killed over 50 yotes and has under $500 into it). I use Hornaday Critical Defense as this just has a cheap Amazon light on it and shooting sub 100 yards. The critical defense are quite effective.

7. Very nice! One day my impulse will get the better of me and I’ll buy one then Broome it out.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

For those of us that reload we tend to skip the Norma as different batches have different primer flash hole sizes. The smaller of the two can break a deprimer pin if you aren't paying attention.

9. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Agree and I find it to be pretty dirty ammo as well.

10. I’ve had good success with a lot of different range ammo. I’ll look in the ammo safes tomorrow and list some more of them.

11. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Fiocchi is my go to 223 range ammo for price and accuracy. Almost anything can get by for pistols but I usually use fiocchi and some PMC. Winchester white seems to be erratic.

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Every newborn child gets a handgun at birth.....state law.

13. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Care to share were you found that? Around here Academy just dropped Blazer 9mm 115 grain to 30 cents.

All of my range ammo the last few years has come from Super Vel. I can get it shipping and taxes included for 26 cents a round. They are reloads but I’ve never had an issue. I’ve had a few boxes of xyz brand buying whatever Academy and Cabela’s had when it was really scarce that gave me trouble but I’ve gone through probably 7,000 rounds of Super Vel with 8 different guns and they all like it.

https://supervelammunition.com/certified-select-9mm-luger-115-gr-fmj

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  14. GixxerJohn011

The only two issues I’ve had with my 365 have been Winchester white

15. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

i didnt want to get too picky on it as he looks like hes just needing some range time but main reason is just too much failures, unless said person wants to practice going through course of fire dealing with failures

16. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

im glad these reloads are working for you but in general i wouldnt shoot reloads from just some random company. For 26 cents a round you should be getting new rounds!!
    https://www.sgammo.com/product/9mm-...ier-bellot-115-grain-fmj-brass-case-ammo-sb9a
    free ship on these and maybe no tax, they have different brands for the same price also.
    the thing with reloads with mass produce rounds is nothing really gets checked so when it goes wrong......it goes wrong badly

17. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Never had a problem with white box but then I'm just an occasional shooter.

18. GixxerJohn011

Hmmm…I guess need to look around a bit more. I started buying Super Vel when the shelves were bare and just stuck with it. I think reload makes everybody think of their uncle
    Jim Bob in grandma’s basement halfway in to a case of Natty Light cooking up some hot loads…Super Vel isn’t that. That said, price got me to try it and now it seems with a little searching there is some at or better from a reputable manufacturer. Next time I get to my “order more ammo threshold” I’ll try to improve my Google-fu.

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I'll shoot reloads from an ammo manufacturer long before shooting reloads made by some random jimbob in their garage.
    I use Freedom Munitions a lot these days, both new and reloads. Never had an issue with them.

20. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

Same, but I shoot more frequently. Last weekend I ran through 400rds of 9mm, 200 white box Wins and 200 blazer. Both had failure to fire, but the white box was two and the blazer was 5 rounds… apparently I got the boxes made on a Friday late afternoon.

Part of me is worried that a bunch of ammo was pushed to flood the market again since there was supply issues.