1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mower doesn’t start when hot

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, Mar 12, 2023.

1. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Fuel filter in the tank

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Then how do you shut it off? New ones have no choke or throttle.
    Use a bungee cord.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Jesus, for a guy who grew up with Methuselah’s older brother, you don’t know a whole helluva lot.

You run the deck over a big fire ant hill and stall the motor out, idtio.

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I thought you ran it down the driveway and into a tree across the road.

5. Critter

Critter Registered

Just junk the damn thing and pay a guy to come over and do it.....pay him cash and tell the wife it costs twice as much and put 1/2 of it in your pocket towards the racing budget...

tiggen, RichB, Razr and 3 others like this.
  6. joec

joec brace yourself

dont forget the green paint. ala baltimore.

7. joec

joec brace yourself

i actually agree its probably not a coil. once you pull the plug out its pretty easy to pull the cord and hear or see the spark. i used to leave my mower outside all winter and sort of took it as a challenge to try and get it to start come spring. so one year i left it as usual and in spring went out to fire it up. i flooded it and pulled the plug and checked for spark. the cyl had filled with gas so i gave it a few good pulls to blow the gas out of the plug hole. of course the plug is sitting right there with some nicely atomized gass flying out. and the mower deck is still covered with dead dried grass for the previous year of mowing. it ignited the dry grass and the entire top of the mower started burning. my neighbor ran over with a fireextinguisher and put it out while was standing watching the problem play out. i put the plug back in it. filled it with fresh gas, and proceeded to mow the lawn. my neighbors hated me.

one of my favorite parts of spring used to be driving around suburbia and getting free lawn mowers off the curb with the "free doesnt run" sign hanging on them. ive never bought a lawn mower. :)

tl1098, Jim Moore, YamahaRick and 2 others like this.
  8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Heres my mower..we had zero grass last year..I seeded it,and bought laying hens as mowers.Their falling behind,and I get chicken shit in my lugs 335458114_219287963929554_7582297521258793869_n.jpg

Razr and Gorilla George like this.
  9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

It is the auto choke. When I was with Kohler it was the biggest single issue on their walk behind mower engine. In hot climates they wouldn't choke enough, in cold climates they wouldn't pull off of choke. It is a crap design.

Murcielago311 likes this.
  10. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Is there a remedy?

11. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Yeah... buy a full manual reel mower.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Those are complete crap these days. Ya gotta find a vintage Toro from, like, 1962. A functioning work of art.

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Humans are so fucking dumb.

We have to be the only species in the universe that changes things that have worked flawlessly for decades

14. sdg

sdg *

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

R1M370 and fastfreddie like this.
  15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Jeanette's motto.

16. sdg

sdg *

Who's Jeanette?

17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

An unimportant individual that lives by the motto.

18. sdg

sdg *

Said individual could be a coworker.

19. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I’ve had this issue before. I bought some VP94 non ethanol fuel in those 5 gallon jugs and added that when the tank was empty. Hard start issue went away and it runs slightly smoother. Mine is a 15 year old MTD carbureted push mower. Ethanol on home power equipment is a killer.

ducnut likes this.
  20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Apologies to Broome, but these days there's no reason whatsoever to own a gas powered push mower...electric rules. Once you get into riding mowers and more than a couple acres it's a different story due to cost and range, but they're getting closer.