1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Bodywork PaintingNorthern Virginia

Discussion in 'Tech' started by zupatun, Mar 21, 2023.

1. zupatun

zupatun Well-Known Member

I'm in Gainesville/Manassas area. Anyone have a source or recommendation in NOVA or MD, DC area? I can drive if need be to W. VA also if it's as far as Winchester.

Haven't had anyone paint in a while, any cost/price ya paid would help too.

Matt Roth
    703-505-6992

2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

DC Paintworx if you want a top notch job. Bart DeFrancesco is a CCS racer. He can get the bodywork for you too, and coordinate with Drippin Wet to get the decals on there. [email protected]. He's in the northeast somewhere, possibly VA, I can't remember.

Another option is Ghetto Customs in Tennessee who paints all of the bikes for M4. Chris is a WERA and MA Twins racer, He makes his own bodywork for some bikes. On Facebook as Ghetto Customs 128. Either option is solid!

TurboBlew and sbk1198 like this.
  3. zupatun

Thanks. Local place , Warrenton, just quoted $1,957 to put a single color, clear, cut and buff. There's also fixing any little imperfections in bodywork as well...even though I've prepped best I could.

4. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Yeah don't do that... You also don't really need or want cut and buff I'd rather have some orange peel and thicker paint

TurboBlew and DmanSlam like this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That sounds really expensive. @gpracer15 is on here and is a painter as well. I'm in S. Cal so I never used him, but there seems to be a lot of people who have, if you search his name.

https://www.sbkpaint.com/pricing
    I have used this company and they charge racers $600 for a paintjob with a primary color and black, plus clearcoat.

6. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Trading Paint is another painter in that region. He does a bunch of stuff for club racers and MA.

7. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I'd go with what @Gino230 recommended, and if you're in N. VA, I'd probably start with DC Paintworx just because he's closer, but it's still a few hour drive. I believe he's in PA, somewhere north of Philly. But either of those 2 options would be great, and neither should be $2000 like that other place quoted you! Probably not going to be more than like $1200 and that's if you do 2 colors with some cool design. Just one color should be no more than $800 unless prices have gone up lately.

Anyone know what happened to Andrew Swenson? He used to be THE guy to go to on the east coast. Haven't heard anyone getting fairings painted by him in the last few years though.

zupatun likes this.
  8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Prices have definitely gone up but under $800 for one color is correct

zupatun likes this.
  9. zupatun

He was charging $500 for the cut and buff.

FWIW this is for my 2000 Honda VFR800FI sport tourer.
    not my trackday bike.

Matt

10. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

If you don't find what you're looking for try it yourself. I watched some YouTube videos for tips, then gave it a go. Probably $100-150 in supplies and a wknd. I can be much faster now that I know what I'm doing. For the price difference you can by a spare set of bodywork, paint it, and have it on stand-by.

Screenshot_20201021-195748_Gallery.jpg

SundaySocial and BrentA like this.
  11. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Do the prep work like wet sanding with progressively finer grit and use some two part epoxy rattle can paint . You’ll surprise yourself with how good it looks

12. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

Is this what you used?
    SAMURAI 2-Part Epoxy Superbike Primer Spray Paint (Undercarriage Black, Pack of 1 Cans)

I'm just about done sanding all of the fiberglass and want to put a simple paint job on the track bodywork.

13. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

I just had a place in Dulles vinyl wrap all the OEM bodywork and tank for my VFR750 for a bit under $1400.

evakat likes this.
  14. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Pictures please

15. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Triple X likes this.
  16. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member