1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2023 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Feb 14, 2023.

1. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

it's definitely a ton of weight. but, those 890's are pretty light and pretty damn fast ;) i raced against Andy on his 890 up in the PNW and he can make pretty short work of a 600 at a tight track like the Ridge. it just mobs away out of the corners. on a longer track the aerodynamics and power come more into play; he needed to draft to stay with us.

against the 1300cc Indian I can however absolutely see his gripe, 40lb on top of a 400cc disadvantage is a lot. what's funny however is that if you look at the lap sheets, he had identical trap speeds as the Indians during the first race. But I have a hunch that those indicate the Indians pushing air and Andy doing everything he could to hang on to the draft, meaning that that "parity" actually was a disadvantage.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  2. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Say what you will about ASRA but at least they knew the signifigance of 200 miles in the race's name.

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I see why you went six in wordle today.

4. Dave Wolfe

Go back under your bridge, troll!!

5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Actually, I've been on a mountaintop. Hermit would be more accurate. After sufficient time has passed, I shall let you know if the meaning of life is actually 42.

The Todd likes this.
  6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

[​IMG]

figured out why i was so slow... fml

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That would do it.

If you wanted to blame the machine. :Poke: :D

tophyr likes this.
  8. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

Anyone gonna call Stanboli a Herrin nut swinger too?

ToofPic likes this.
  9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

oh there was pleeeenty of my riding to blame :beer: i came into the weekend having trust issues on the front tire, and losing the front into T1 didn't do anything to help. definitely have some work to do and entry speed to rebuild before i grid up again.

10. Dave Wolfe

At first, im like, wtf is that, a cholostomy bag? Then I figured it out.

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Wait is that Tammy's feces clogging the fuel system?

cBJr and tophyr like this.
  12. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Yepper, I'm lost in space regarding that?
    I see bikes you listed...but WTF is a next gen superbike?
    All I find from searches is New manufacturer prototypes of upcoming technology?
    I thought I read that a GSXR was fighting for the lead, but was taken out by another rider toward the end of the race?

Just curious.....Rules seem freakishly weird & muddied?

Bring back Formula USA ..lol

13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

https://www.motorcycle.com/features...l-supersport-next-generation-regulations.html

I guess as the manufacturers stopped focusing on 600's the FIM wanted to open the rules to allow more bikes to compete. Then MotoAmerica followed suit at some point.

14. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Supersport is a lot like sports car racing now. Just need to appreciate the different manufacturers and bikes lining up and trust to BoP works for the show.

15. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

If you go back and look at the pics, you'll see that Herrin was in tighter to turn one that time. Turn one is always a balance of trying to get in as deep as possible without screwing up the T2 apex near the concrete wall. Turn 2 apex is critical because if you are a little wide by the wall, you can't use full throttle all the way to the horseshoe (through the esses). It looks to me like the Duc is harder to turn which is why he's always on a little bit wider line on exits, with the rear tire squirming.

For whatever reason, Herrin was in tighter that time. Maybe he had been working on that- practicing for a pass. Or maybe Richie got sucked in a little by another bike's draft. You can see in the background someone is running wide, so theoretically it's possible Richie was in a little deeper. The aforementioned "squiggly line" doesn't mean much, because it's a double apex, so it's WHERE he crosses the squiggly line that's the issue.

I love all this second by second speculation of an event that unfolded between the leaders in a super high pressure environment. Dude saw an opening and went. That is racing dammit! I wouldn't be happy if it happened to me, but like Draik B said, "this isn't knitting!"

16. Gino230

Is that Tank Foam? If so I'm wondering how long since you cleaned the filter. Since I put my tank foam in in 2020 I've only cleaned out the tank /pump once, and the filter was clean. I got my foam from Summit Racing. I've heard horror stories about tank foam and it always makes me wonder what guys are using.

17. The Todd

The Todd It's 'The Todd'

I wasn't there, and never ridden that track. I'm a TD junkie now, and was watching from my armchair. (loveseat actually). I saw it in real time, and the bazillion replays in various speeds of playback. It seemed to me that Ritchie was 'late apexing' that turn for the next. IIRC- he stated they'd been running those turns like that. This time, he late apex's and Josh slammed the door, dove inside him. Ritchie had a small reaction/stood up some. But as been pointed out on another of my favorite forums, Josh's right foot hits Ritchie's left clip on- causing the crash. You heard it here first, right here on roller derby.

And yes, I think it was a racing incident. I don't think Herrin intentionally took him out. It sucked, we move on.

rapidzrx and Gino230 like this.
  18. backbone

backbone scarred for life

About 20 years ago when i first used tank foam, I got it from Comp Acc and it lasted a couple years. I only found out after having all kinds of issues. After that fiasco, we change every year. :)

19. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Well I'm late to the party.

My take on JH2 and RE54 is that Josh came far away to niddle thread an opening that had been there since the beginning of the race.
    RE54 was constent on his riding and hitting is marks, as JH2 was the complete opposite, being eratic and messy in his riding (which is SO commun with him)

Yes a racing incident for sure and of course JH2 didn't do it to punt RE54 out but his move and decision to do so makes him look like the guilty party of that fiasco.. which IMHO is at fault.

On my end, I finally got to complete a D200 !!! After 3 times of trying, third is definitly the charm.

My little resume, for those that like to read and got nothing else to do, Copied/pasted from my FB (if you want to see pics and all)
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0cjpV52jSexsNL8iSdmhigWbCAWUo2haSvxt6h2aEECED5qcxuA81YvYL7ZATgfktl&id=100036357519736&sfnsn=mo&mibextid=RUbZ1f

Daytona 200 2023 resume

They say that the third time is the charm. Well, it was my third attempt and needless to say, we nailed it.

2022 was a very rough year, with difficulties with personal tragedies and hitting walls again and again, I drove through. I wasn’t sure if I would make it, but I had a full team behind me to encourage to continue. I was looking to just complete the race. So, forward we went.
    The barricades for preparing for the D200, 2023 were tough. I had obtained new physical ailments that limited my training and living an extremely busy life (full-time employment + business owner) took a great deal just to get in the bit I could.

The descend to Daytona.
    All odds were against me in the descent to Daytona. Since my vehicle was stolen not long before leaving, I had a rental that was, well, unsafe. Brakes failing and the towing capacity of a lamb, my road-trip guy and I continued on. We made it to KWS where Michael Godin had tuned Onyx (ZX636 2023) like a rocket. On route through to Daytona International Speedway!

The Smooth*ish* Ride.
    We got out on track Thursday morning for my very first ride on Onyx and the engine did not disappoint, just need to fix the suspension and a bit its geometry. Q1 could do better than 7th in my group B but that was about to change for the next day. Tweaked the suspension rear and tire pressure and we pulled off a 4th in Group B by a very good improvement from the day before…. An astonishing 1.5sec faster. We reached into the 1.56.6.
    We refined the front end, since I was bottoming out, and we were ready for Friday morning practice. It all went perfectly.

Time to go racing.
    Well once more this year we missed the sighting lap and start form last when we were scheduled to start 28th on the grid. If one person knew I’d make it half grid by the first few laps, my Manager did. She had no doubt, so I felt more at ease.
    Well fought battles in the first few laps and lap 19 came around and our first pit stop was about to go down. They went so fast that I got no rest period. Considering my team have never worked together and the little experience only a couple had, they nailed it.

Red Flag Restart.
    Unfortunately, the red flag came out when I was concentrated on my last 5 laps to the finish, and they called a restart for a 10 lap finisher. I pushed Onyx and myself to the limit, even during a side swipe in the East Horseshoe. Checkered out and what a wild ride!

Final Words.
    My objective was 15th and could only manage 16th which I’m so very happy with this result.
    Best part, it seemed I was constant throughout all my 62 laps of the D212.45. By the way, the longest Daytona 200 ever !
    I would like to sincerely thank everyone that was a part of the rodeo and the MTRS Coelho Racing Team. The support and well wishes were well received and greatly appreciated.

Until next year... that's right, we'll be back ![​IMG][​IMG]

Screenshot_20230312_223839_Facebook.jpg

FB_IMG_1679122065463.jpg

FB_IMG_1678846945240.jpg

received_120274027671664.jpeg

jksoft, sanee, ungwaha and 17 others like this.
  20. Gino230

16th is a great result in this race! Nice seeing you guys again, Alex.

Kind of crazy that there was only 22 finishers out of 44 starters! That's alot of attrition. @tophyr Did that fuel pump DNF you guys?

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.