1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk car tires

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, Mar 20, 2023.

1. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

North of the Mason but I throw snow tires on for the winter months.
    Tires are worn pretty much perfect just worn out. We put around 25k miles a year on the car, except for the 9 months it was at Mazda waiting for a new motor.

2. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I haven't had cooper's on a car in probably 20 years and back then they were atrocious so I didn't even consider them. Thanks for the info

3. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've put a few sets of General's on the wife's car, don't remember the model. Been happy with them, they're a good mid grade tire.

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Looking at what’s on ATD and available I’d either put Nexen N5000 platinums on it or Nitto Motivo. They are 55 and 60k mile tires respectively and both a rib that will wear pretty well.
    No coopers are showing up
    In a tire that size. The nexen costs me 173 and the Nitto 178…

r6fast likes this.
  5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

My last 4 sets of truck tires were Nitto, I’ve had great luck with them.

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I wonder if they’ve gotten better in the last 20 years!

7. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

IMO, nope !! Wife's car had them on it new and never would stay balanced. Plus every tire rotation, car would pull in a different direction. Multiple alignment and strut checks and all that was good.
    Then gave up and had them "warrantied" with another new set and same thing. Both sets were also the loudest tires I've heard in 40+ years. Won't be a set of Coopers on anything I own.

8. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

Any opinions on "run flat" tires?

9. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

I run falken bc a buddy of mine is a dealer.

He submitted a a/t tire design from himself a few years ago. He owns a tire shop in a 1 red light town in Alabama. Falken then reached out to him bc they liked the design. They then flew him out to discuss the tire. Long story, they produced the tire, he gets a % of everyone of that design bought and they brought him the first set of tires produced to sell at his location.
    I thought that was very cool that they didn't screw him. So I run their tires.
    My car is 2017 Toyota Camry SE. I run the ziex ze 960 a/s. The truck is a 1997 Chevy 1500 Silverado and it has sincera sn 250 a/s.
    The car rides great and handles rain very well.
    The truck rides better than any other tire it's had which was usually hankooks, Uniroyal, kumho. But it's old so tires don't fix all it's problems.

Overall, I'm happy with the falkens.

I've had the worst luck with kumho on both car and truck over the years. Cheap walmart Uniroyals on my car road better than kumhos. On the truck as well.
    Goodyear's from walmart wear out very fast. So stay away from the cheap Goodyear's made for walmart if you want them to last. Viva is the crap GY line from walmart I think.

YamahaRick likes this.
  10. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

Been running cooper tires for a while on my dailys. Road noise? My music is always on and its just a car and not some knobby tire haha. Doesnt grip in the wet? youre driving too damn fast and youre not in a race :)

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

What exactly are you looking for in a tire ? My criteria for street tires are, in that order : safety, comfort, durability, price, noise. The Pirellis on my Lexus wore poorly. Haven't had to buy tires on my Honda yet. I enjoyed Kumhos on my Civic back in the day, great quality for the price.

12. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Don't get them if you don't have to. They are mandatory on cars that don't carry a spare. They are usually more expensive, heavier, less comfortable, can make for poorer handling and provide less feedback.

13. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

I did not know that. My car (2018 Ford Fusion Hybrid) has no spare. It came with a can of fix-a-flat. I was told the tires that came on the car would be more expensive to replace in that they are supposed to give better gas mileage. Never mentioned that they were run flat. I'll have to do more research. Thanks

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I havent needed 'good' car tires in a while but when i did, Michelin. I dont know if P or G or other brands caught up, but M was always best on wet/slippery roads. Good tire life, etc. Only downside was $$$$.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Any time I see "reduced rolling resistance", I think bowling ball...no grip whatsoever. They could be a lot of fun to drive, but what if you're not sportin' that kind of driver ability?
    To a lesser extent, "run flats" can have issues maintaining grip on turn-in and throttle exits.

When's the last time anyone got a flat or were so concerned about .5mpg efficiency, anyway?

16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Michelin's run flats have the "ZP" (for zero pressure?)

17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

This is the only run flat worth a damn. And you should only need it in combat zone.

So if your in Chicago, LA, ATL, SF, Portland, etc then get you some of these from the gubmint.

[​IMG]

ducnut likes this.
  18. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I put some Goodyear Assurance Maxlife on my commuter (2019 Forte) and while the tires are quiet and seem to handle OK, they've reduced my MPG by about 10%.

19. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Ehh, on a street car anything is fine as far as traction. Not gonna approach limits of traction and if I do I’ll just slow down. I see zero benefit to running a 25-30k mile tire on the street. Especially on a wife’s daily.
    JMO

sanee likes this.
  20. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I try to buy only American owned and manufactured tires.
    There are only 2 left. Goodyear and Cooper.
    I've had no complaints from either....The Goodyear Assurance variants are good choices. I had the F on a Audi I had...couldn't complain about anything..other than price. But I'm in Calif..not much need for all season.
    All tires are just silly $$ now..for a truck set of 5 were looking @ $1500.00 for 50k..that's every damn year..