1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM Moto2 project

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Yeah, sort of looks like the MotoGP logo. Perfect place for a GoPro then!

2. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

are the clip on claps integrated into the top triple? or am I seeing things?

3. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Your seeing things, clip on clamp is separate.

Better pics click link on first post.

Gino230 likes this.
  4. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Didnt see the link to the other pictures, thanks. I thought that would be super weird lol. Definitely was seeing things.

5. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Kaleb trained with him and Garrett in Spain. But honestly, I don’t think most of his setup notes would be relevant. The tracks, the rider, the competition is so different I doubt any of it would apply. But any info is welcome. Like you said- a “big what if”!
    Probably early ‘19 as Quatar is usually the first GP of the season. No idea on KTM’s struggles back then, but what would that really mean? They were .5 sec off? We’re talking about me club racing it. I’m sure we can make it better than my R6 lol.

There’s going to be lots of tinkering and adjusting, but at the end of the day it’s a motorcycle - we’ll mess with it and try and make it so I feel good. When I rode the Dynavolt Kalex Honda, that thing wouldn’t turn. Probably because I’m not putting 20% of the force into it that Schrotter was, and it was set up for big smooth European sweepers.

We’re getting way ahead of ourselves here, let’s just try and get the damn thing started by summer and hopefully I can learn to use those rollers without losing a foot.

6. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

I was thinking that exact thing, which why I was hesitant to even say it knowing that this is just for fun and for that sake, its just super fucking cool irrelevant to anything. I think 2019 was the year that KTM went a super wrong direction, or at least wrong for their superstars, and Binder couldn't ride it for shit. To the point where I think they scraped the chassis and completely redid it for him like half way thru the season.

You can see it in the results too, like all of a sudden mid season he starts killing it again. And that was the year I think where Marquez (FINALLY after 4 damn tries on the best bike/team) won, but only by like 3 points over Binder (we'll ignore my opinion about baby Marquez for the sake of my own sanity here haha). But yea, I think it was a different chassis come end of season than from the beginning. Again too though, yours coming from a different fella, not sure what they did or didn't do for others down the line. I was just curious, I know it doesn't matter at all outside of conversation.

Gino230 likes this.
  7. Gino230

Figured out the ECU and IMU mounting. This will go a long way in figuring out how the wiring harness is oriented. I ordered some hoses and am rigging up the radiator hose so we're making progress.

Since you guys were asking about adjustability, I took a look at the swingarm pivots and steering head. Adjustable with inserts, which I don't have. I'm wondering if they used Kalex parts for some of that stuff- there are some other Kalex parts on the bike (coolant elbow, etc), and it would make sense to standardize some things because manufacturing your own is expensive and time consuming.

Also, I unpacked all of the sprockets. I'm going to order a countershaft sprocket and chain. The 4 rear sprockets that came with the bike are 36,38,39, and 52 (!?!) Tooth. I'm wondering if it has some kind of kit transmission with a short 6th gear, which would explain the need for tall final gearing.

IMG_3866.jpg IMG_3865.jpg IMG_3867.jpg

R1M370 likes this.
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I can hear Broome drooling over all the different color buttons. :D
    Nice score!

Gino230 likes this.
  9. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Badass new rig Gino, have fun playing it!

Careful... Lol

Gino230 likes this.
  10. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

What size front sprocket is on there now? 52 is is pretty big...

11. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

The 52T was for the parades/shows where before some events they have riders ride around the city (usually MotoGP guys, but sometimes Moto 2 and Moto 3 people have done it). The 52T was so Dixon could wheelie all over the place lol That or in case you want to use it Bushnell or other cart tracks lol

Gino230 likes this.
  12. Gino230

There isn't one. I'm going to order 15 and 16 and see where that leaves us. I won't know until I ride it, unfortunately. I took a look at the axle and adjustability last night, so I could see how long to make the chain. It's right in the middle of the adjustment range with the 52. I had a bike with a Superbike Kit transmission in it before, and I remember the gearing was unusually tall because of the short 6th.

As you can see from today's photos, they are very serious about airflow and aero- I figured out these pieces of the radiator shroud. The edges are rubbery like aircraft baffles, where they seal up against the fairing. There's another piece that goes on top of the engine and slots into the rear of the radiator shroud. Keeps the airflow separate from the ram air. Also two neat and expensive looking carbon ducts in the lower, and the little spoiler on the bottom of the lower.

IMG_3880.jpg IMG_3881.jpg IMG_3882.jpg IMG_3883.jpg

rcarson15, cbush, pfhenry and 3 others like this.
  13. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

Might be more effort than it is worth but in most cases you can select the gears, rotate the engine and count counter shaft revolutions to calculate the transmission gear ratios.

cbush and Gino230 like this.
  14. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Wheelchair Pimp

This is awesome Gino!

Gino230 likes this.
  15. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Is it an optical illusion? Or is that radiator colossally huge! I've never viewed a radiator that large..even on 1000s...

16. jimmyboost

jimmyboost one buck a boom

Thanks so much for sharing these!!!

Gino230 likes this.
  17. Gino230

It's massive. Which kind of makes you wonder, because the engine isn't really all that hotted up- They have some parts but nothing crazy as far as I know. The fuel spec is pretty mild.

18. Gino230

Asked in the Tech section, but does anyone know if the 765 and 675 use the same countershaft sprocket? All years/ generations?

19. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Dang now u got me looking at moto2 top speeds at mugello lol.

20. Gino230

look up the battery location while you're at it. :crackup:Let me know if you find it.

According to Crash.net, claimed HP is up from 121 (stock) to 138.

The Moto2-spec engine has the following changes over the base Street Triple RS:

• Modified cylinder head with revised inlet & exhaust ports for optimized gas flow
    • Higher compression ratio
    • Titanium valves & stiffer valve springs
    • Revised cam timing > for increased rpm
    • High Flow Fuel Injectors
    • Low inertia race kit alternator
    • Revised 1st and 2nd gear ratios
    • Race developed, adjustable slipper clutch
    • Magneti Marelli Race ECU
    • Revised engine covers for reduced width
    • Different sump for improved exhaust header run

backho and pfhenry like this.