1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If we don't stop poisoning the well with grotesquely over valued companies that never seem to make a nickel it will only get worse.

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I bought an OTM option on GS in January that dropped by 50% for the first two months, then spiked up this week. I think I made 70% gains on it. :D

Now, I'm wondering when to be greedy as others are fearful.

HPPT likes this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Did Gordon Gecko teach you nothing? :D

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I hate rollercoasters, but I'm still a TSLA investor... In the last 6 months I've bought at:

Currently at $179, I'm up 5% overall.

418 likes this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Oops, "I didn't ban you…"
    No, if he paid attention to who else wasn't banned (i.e., lots of people). I hope it was good coffee.

I'm in wait mode. I get seriously tempted almost every day but usually, within two days, I'm glad I stayed put.

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That French accent, huh? :D

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You laugh but I've been having worsening sinuses issues. My voice recognition software doesn't know half the shit I am saying. I can't speak French or English. :D

8. auminer

@HPPT

Don't cry. :D

[​IMG]

Looking more and more like the Swiss goobermint is going to nationalize the carcass, which would wipe out all equity and bondholders if I understand the process correctly.

Do the Swiss use the word schadenfreude?

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think I'll be okay sleeping tonight. It's going to be tough, but I think I can power through the pain.

I heard this morning UBS is "buying" it? Haven't looked up anything on the web yet. This was my first online stop.

10. auminer

I think that might be falling apart. UBS was wanting a lot of Swiss govt help/guarantees.

Lots of things that affect the banking world, a few that can't be discussed here, this is shaping up to be a very volatile week!

11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I think UBS is anxious to buy them at $1B (approximately 1/8 of the price CS closed at Friday) but the odds are that CS wouldn't approve the deal.

This is going to be interesting.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Discount haircuts, get ‘em while they’re hot!

13. auminer

I just read that it is done, 2 billion. Shareholder vote bypassed by some manner of shenanigans. I guess if you play with fire, you better be prepared to get burned.

Interesting times.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  14. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

What is funny is me, a casual reader of financial news, read this was going to happen over six months ago.

15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

A wee bit more than that ... but still only a few dimes on the dollar.

Tomorrow at 0930 ET will be very interesting!

16. auminer

[​IMG]

Weird, though, seems like every updated story I read has a bigger number for the buyout, rescue, whateverthehellyoucallit. First it was 1 billion, then 2, then 3, just now I saw 3.2 billion.

A billion here, a couple of hundred million there, pretty soon you're talking about real money!

SuddenBraking and BigBird like this.
  17. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Now "midsize" banks are angling to have all their deposits insured, temporarily of course.

18. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Anyone doing precious metals, like gold, silver?

Pros/Cons??

19. auminer

You could say that I've dipped a toe... :D

I fully believe that silver is the most undervalued commodity on the planet. Trouble is, I've thought that for a few years now while it has languished and other asset classes have vastly outpaced it. That said, investor demand for bullion and to a MUCH greater extent solar panels and EVs are going to make it a 100million plus production shortfall to demand annually going forward. It's not that I have been wrong, I just haven't yet been proven right. :D

The elephant in the room is the exorbitant premiums on physical bullion. You're lucky to find it for less than 3 bucks an ounce over spot. Selling your bullion to a coin shop will go the other way: they *might* offer you spot, but most likely a couple of bucks an ounce less.

You could buy a 5000 ounce option and stand for delivery. You pay a bit for transport, but not near 3 bucks an ounce.

If you are not up for a 120k investment, best vehicle for silver investing without those issues is PSLV. Drawback is that you don't physically hold the silver, it is held in a vault in Canada. There are issues with that, but probably best not discussed on this forum. I believe that PSLV is the best option for stock exchange silver investing as it is fully allocated : for about every three shares of it you own, there's an ounce of silver in the vault allocated to those shares. Some silver ETFs do not do that. They rely on options trading to emulate the price of silver.

Gold I don't buy. I have some that I placer mined, but the ratio of the price of silver to the price of gold is out of whack with historical values. I will only invest in silver until that normalizes.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    Clay likes this.
  20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!