1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vehicle Battery Maintenance Q

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Mar 13, 2023.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

The battery in my seldom-used Exploder is seven years old. I use the vehicle very rarely. The battery will die. I give it a charge, and all is well until the following winter. I then repeat the process. This time, it would not take a charge, so a new battery is needed.

Instead of spending $250 for a replacement DieHard battery (same as it now has), I will probably opt for the $60 Walmart option. I need to use the Exploder to run some errands this week.

Or should I buy an AGM battery from Sams at $190?

Or should I buy an Interstate AGM battery from Costco at $180?

I did buy a quick release for the negative battery cable, so when I do remember, it gets disconnected between uses of the vehicle.

Is there anything I can do to the dead DieHard to revive it to its former glory? Its much greater CCA rating will be nice to have in colder weather. If revived, it will probably be stored in the garage as to have easy access to a trickle charger (and easier for me to remember to actually connect it).

TIA.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You might not need a new battery. Charge the existing one, add a trickle charger for the months that it sits, or drive it more.

3. YamahaRick

It is the third of three vehicles I have, and rarely needs to be used. But it is handy to have available.

Trickle charger already tried with no success. And too lazy to connect it when I should.

4. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Interstate Battery sells cost effective refurbs. I less than $100.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've had great luck with the Wally World stuff. I'd go cheap and for that one yeah, keep a tender on it.

6. Dude. You know there is only one viable option...

BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

It's an electrical source...RUN!!

pickled egg likes this.
  8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Well, 2 things

If it's a vehicle that sits long periods of time, than an AGM battery is not what you want. Also, if you have an old charger it's not gonna touch a dead AGM battery.

2. All the electrical systems on the vehicle you're gonna either want to leave a battery tender on it with a quick connect or put a boat store kill switch on it.

Personally, if its an old ass spare vehicle, do the battery tender quick connects and install a new lead acid battery and be done. The vehicle if old enough probably won't charge an AGM battery properly either.

If you change the electrolyte in the old battery, not with just tap water, and run it on a new smart charger with desulfator, you may have luck.

7 years is normally scrap for any automotive battery

9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I've bought my last couple for a rarely used truck at Home Depot. They have a one year no questions asked warranty, and I've had to use it. When I say rarely used, I might have driven it 3 times in a year. Plus I think the last one was under $100.

YamahaRick likes this.
  10. YamahaRick

11. tony 340

Worth a try with some new electrolyte.

Don't forget it's a 7yr old battery

12. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Get the cheapo walmart battery, use a battery tender, it'll work great and last longer and better than trying to resuscitate a 7yr old battery.

BigBird and Razr like this.
  13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Even a completely disconnected battery will slowly discharge itself, so the manual or boat disconnects will not do the job. You need a tender; that is the only way.

SuddenBraking, Razr and YamahaRick like this.
  14. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I don’t understand how this is even a question….
    The Die Hard lasted seven years. Why in the world would you choose another brand as a replacement. Odds are they won’t last a year.

BigBird, MELK-MAN, MachineR1 and 3 others like this.
  15. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

16. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Not sure if the AC Delco batteries are still good, but my truck is an 03, and Im still on battery number 2. I believe this battery is now 9 years old. Truck only gets driven to the race track, or camp grounds, which is probably around 5-7 weekends per year. I use battery disconnects, never hooked up a charger to it.

17. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Take the battery and throw it around in the yard to break up the sulfate,then top off if needed with new acid.This has worked for me more than once

18. tony 340

Or if you plan on keeping the vehicle , pony up and get a warrantied lithium battery , assuming your alternator will charge it

Bass pro shops is doing 5 or 6 yr warranty now on boat batteries

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Most batteries are now made by the new owners of Johnson controls. Diehard, motorcraft, duralast etc. I need new batteries for my 10 year old F350 with the original motorcraft batteries. Started doing my due diligence and was a bit surprised by my findings. It's hard to get factual information off the web, so much personal preference BS. Think I'm going to stay with lead acid flooded cell type and may shy towards increased CCA from 750 to 850 amps.

20. Mk4Matt

Mk4Matt Well-Known Member

My OEM AGM battery in my 2011 TDI touareg was going on 12 years and still running . I replaced it with another one from VW..

BigBird and Razr like this.