1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOOOOO tell me it isn't so

Discussion in 'General' started by rapidzrx, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Dude, Robbie is fucking terrible lol.

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Oh I agree but the level of bitching has surpassed his annoyance to me. I’m just a dog with a bone. Give me a race to watch and I’m happy.

3. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

No one is complaining about watching the race and enjoying it...just tired of hearing subpar commentating.

rapidzrx and Steeltoe like this.
  4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

"Josh Herrin on the Warhorse SBK Mission Foods Alpinestars Fresh n Lean Bell Helmet Motul Brembo Ohlins Dunlop RK Chicken Hawk Racing Vortex Durrani Rims racing Ducati SP2VsquaredRV4."

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because they're usually old fucks who know all of the silly shit Greg says to educate the newer fans and they get all pissy about it because they think he's talking down to them and standing on their lawns :D

Greenhound386 and cav115 like this.
  6. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Bring back Ralph Sheheen.

IMO Greg White has gotten better over the years. He's about the best we can hope for in America. Motorcycle Road Racing in the USA is and probably always will be very much a fringe sport with very little public interest other than those who participate in it.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Do you still own a sports cup?

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You are the way of my lawn mower...please move.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Low rider edition.

10. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Greg is great. I think a lot of the hate on him is realistically just that he has an American accent. Some people are like chicks for those brit announcers... "oh gawd i'm not even listening to your words, just keep talking, it's so dreamy.."

Go watch the 2020 D200, then you'll know terrible announcing. "And here comes Brendan Pesht around the outside, flying through and making it sideways on the banking.."

11. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I know! It's like: " Dude, how much are they paying you to say that mouthful every time you mention Josh Herrin?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hate it all you like, that stupid shit is what keeps sponsors coming back and helps bring in new ones.

cav115 and rafa like this.
  13. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

I don't get the Greg hate.. I don't mind him at all. You have a guy that actually loves the sport and wants it to be successful... Robbie really kind of bugged me, and it didn't help they paired him with Roger when Roger was really green in the booth. FWIW I really like Roger as an announcer, but the thing is he only talks when he has something to say. Where I think Robbie has that old school announcer mentality of "the audience needs every detail of what's going on"

Roger called the American Flat Track races with Scottie Duebler at Daytona over the weekend (I think Ralph Sheheen had to go do a car race or something). Roger/Scottie pair was the same... Scottie did most of the talking, and Roger would chime in calmly to agree/disagree, or to point out something special in the action. However, Scottie is 10 fold better at the call than Robbie, so he's able to easily keep the commentating moving along with or without Roger.

Roger is still pretty new at it, and he's consistently getting better. (not that he's bad, he just doesn't talk as much) It really seams like Roger is just watching and enjoying the race, and forgets he's also calling it lol. He needs to be paired with a real good filler guy like Scottie Deubler, or Micheal Hill (Greg Cramer will be better with time/knowledge of the sport/riders)

Best part about Roger is that you know he's calling it without any fluff or bullshit or trying to blow smoke.. With Robbie it felt like that's ALL he was doing. I don't know that guy and I wish him the best. I won't be mad if he's not in the box with Roger though.

cav115 and rafa like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's how it's supposed to work - one main announcer with a color commentary person who has expertise in the sport

tophyr and Trainwreck like this.
  15. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

It is rather funny that this thread popped up though. The other day a few of my co-workers were talking about some old timey sportscaster for baseball or basketball or something and going on about how they have always had his voice on the TV. (I think he's retiring or he died or something I dunno)

It got me thinking... I realized holy cow.. I've listened to Ralph Sheheen call American for racing for pretty much my entire life. I loved all racing and that dude has called IMSA, World of Outlaws , Superbikes, Super Cross, NHRA drag racing and even WRC rally racing. lol

Ralph Sheheen is to me what that old timey dude is to my co-workers lol

16. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Am I crazy here or do I remember Scott Russell being an announcer for years and years and it was real good? Where is he at? Bring that back.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He did it a few years. People bitched about his accent the entire time.

18. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Yep, marble mouth comes to mind as something I heard frequently. I liked him. That said, I can't think of any racers turned announcer that I didn't like so I may be biased.

19. Wether you like to dislike Greg the guy does his homework and truly has a passion for the sport. It’s hard to keep your pulse on every rider these days as you have a lot more smaller / combined resource teams etc but the guy sure tries. Is he ready to announce for Dorna? Does he have some annoying sayings, etc? Hell yes he does but he does a pretty good job for a wide audience.

rafa likes this.
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Scott Russell is awesome but there has to be a requirement that people in at least 20 states must be able to understand you to be on TV. :D

Sabre699, cav115 and Banditracer like this.