1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KTM Moto2 project

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Mar 13, 2023.

1. Philip Mirgliotta

Philip Mirgliotta Well-Known Member

SOT2 is formula rules

2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Well, they raced the Britten in SOT so I figure the Moto2 is similar!

Philip Mirgliotta likes this.
  3. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

This is really cool.

My only worry would be replacement parts.

Keep us updated, and keep posting pictures!

Gino230 likes this.
  4. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

(*fake nonchalance mode*) Yeah, that's okay... I guess...

Actually, pretty damned awesome! I hope you get everything up and running. I would love to see it in action and see all the cool bits up close.

As far as parts go, just go into your local KTM dealer and ask for a Moto2 frame... They *might* have one in stock. :D

SuddenBraking and Gino230 like this.
  5. Gino230

Today I did a little tinkering- trying to attach some of the electronic components so I can see how the wiring harness routing goes. Had to source some little screws for the dash and IMU.

Also trying to see what hoses are needed, for fuel and radiator. Originally I was going to ignore the coolant hoses until I got it started, but I realized that the bike doesn't have a starter- so the first startup will probably be on the dyno- so we may as well have it in running condition for then. So I'll have to get the cooling system, fuel system, chain and sprockets all trackworthy before starting.

IMG_3834.jpg IMG_3835.jpg

6. Gino230

This is part of the front subframe- no idea what goes here or what this is.

IMG_3839.jpg

jd41 and Triple X like this.
  7. Gino230

Fuel tank. Looks big enough to do the Daytona 200! As you can see, majority of the fuel is under the seat. Looks hand made.

IMG_3838.jpg IMG_3837.jpg

Triple X, HPPT, racer_11 and 3 others like this.
  8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Best bike thread on here in a long time. That thing is awesome.

jksoft, The Great One, cbush and 3 others like this.
  9. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Flux capacitor? Mass balancing doohickey? Headlight?

Gino230 likes this.
  10. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I might guess some sensor for the electronics or maybe ballast to keep the front and down?

Gino230 likes this.
  11. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

12. Addison

Addison Member

Whoa that is one badass race bike, congrats!

Gino230 likes this.
  13. Gino230

Yeah that's a spare thank for the R7 in the background. :crackup: And ignore the blown out Graves exhaust can from Daytona on the workbench. We tried to fix it with a High Noon can and some exhaust wrap and it blew out on the warm up lap. They don't make beverage cans like they used to. Your Daddy's Old Milwaukee can would have held up!

969 likes this.
  14. That’s so awesome. Knowing a couple folks who have bought various Moto 2 bikes, plan at least a couple days on the track with a very detailed and methodical test plan to set the bike up for you. Not sure about the KTM setup but others I know of that came with great setup notes did not quite translate as the bikes were set up for a much faster rider and as my one buddy calls it “the slow setup” uses the setup notes that came with the bike as more of a “how to” and “what if”.
    I’m not yelling you anything you don’t already know just throwing it out there as one of the guys hated it at first thinking he could just swap springs, and a few things here and there.
    I’ll check with him if it’s ok and if it is I’ll send ya Jakes contact info which he may or may not have info useful to you.

Gino230 likes this.
  15. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

very cool, gino.

Gino230 likes this.
  16. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

I can confirm Monster cans don't hold up either. We tried cutting off the end of one and drilling holes in it to use as a diffuser after an NSF go busted for sound at Laguna. Not sure what happened to it, but at the end of the session all that was left was the safety wire we used to hold it on.

Gino230 likes this.
  17. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

Super cool shit man, I like that more people are doing this when you consider a V4R costs the same amount of money. I gotta ask (but I'm afraid to a little)........ first half of the season chassis? or second half of the season chassis? 2019 was an... interesting year for KTM haha.

18. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

That top triple clamp is a work of art! Great score dude.

Gino230 likes this.
  19. That’s so awesome Gino! In honor of your KTM score I crashed my exc 300 about an hour ago as some underbrush attacked my foot as I figured I could take a short cut and just wheelie over it as “it can’t be that deep”.
    Battering ram!

Gino230 and stk0308 like this.
  20. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Looking zoomed in on this pic, I'd say... camera?

[​IMG]

Gino230 and sbk1198 like this.