1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What setting on Ohlins damper?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RichMangus, Mar 6, 2023.

1. RichMangus

RichMangus Booya

This is my first manual damper. What setting are you guys using?
    It's on a zx6r at intermediate pace if that helps in the decision making.

Thanks
    Rich

2. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

No experience on that bike or Ohlins but I liked mine only as tight as it needed to be. That may change with track as well. It comes down to your comfort and what the bike is doing. The more damping it has can slow down your direction changes. Just try different one from session to session but if your finding you have to be max damping and bike is weird or just a lot of front end movement you may need to change some geometry.

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

all the way soft

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Dampers are definitely rider preference. Some racers like them cranked up, some turned way down. I have found that racers that come from MX tend to like them stiff, maybe a coincidence, just something I've noticed. I always try to get them to turn it down and get more feel.

RichMangus likes this.
  5. Ron Pedersen

Ron Pedersen AFM #541

I push my bars left to right a few times real fast. Once I get it adjusted until I can Barley feel it, back it off another click. The last thing you want it to feel it going into a corner.

RichMangus likes this.
  6. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that Ohlins will sometimes build these with two different needles, so overall oil flow can vary. The OEM dampers will likely have the less aggressive needle while off the shelf units will have the standard needle. Withe the standard needle at the max setting it's very very difficult to move the damper rod (off the bike) with your hands. On a couple of occasions I've seen off the shelf units come from Ohlins with the wrong needle, but it's rare.

RichMangus likes this.
  7. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

set it to 10 clicks and ride. go up or down as you feel appropriate

RichMangus likes this.
  8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Mine is at 8 out of 18. Off the shelf unit, front-mount on an R6. I've tried it at 6, 8, & 10. Feeling on track and laptimes were not affected for all 3 settings. So it stayed at 8.

The leverage ratio of the mount will probably affect the ideal setting. A side, front, or top mount all probably have different leverage ratios.

Also, your feeling from the damper in the pits may not matter much. You don't turn the bars fast or far on track. And there are other large forces turning the bars for you on track. So don't "test" this setting in the pits - test it on track.

RichMangus likes this.
  9. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Turn it to eleven.

10. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

keep in mind that Ohlins wants fresh oil in their suspension parts (including a damper) every 10 hours of use.
    so when my setting feels light and i need to go a click harder, it's time for a refresh. it should be in the $100 ballpark to refresh your damper.

11. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

10 hours for steering damper oil replacement!? Did Ducati make them?:moon:

Reminds me back when we were riding YZF450's in Glamis. After about 10 seasons, went in for a re-fresh and saw "10 hours for a piston... ". Oops:confused: Still looked good though.

12. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

yea i dont do mine every 10 hours. i wait till it starts to get soft at my setting.
    10 hours is about 4 races a weekend, 7 weekends. so if you refresh your forks and shock yearly, it's about the same.

RichMangus likes this.
  13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I feel like lots of people service a damper about a year after they started hearing an air bubble :crackup:

14. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

a what now? i prefer more trail. so much so that a damper is not needed

15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Doesn't WERA require them, no matter your geometry? :D

RichMangus likes this.
  16. RichMangus

RichMangus Booya

Thanks for the insight

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

which type are you talking... the piston type or rotary? 10hrs seems excessive for servicing.

GPR recomends once per year but it actually works out to twice...lol

18. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

from what i was told from Ohlins and a few suspension shops, 10 hours for any Ohlins suspension components.
    i have a linear, but i would assume it doesnt matter if it's an Ohlins linear or Scotts rotary.
    that being said, i also dont change my linear oil every 10 hours. maybe every 2 seasons when my click setting gets a bit soft.

RichMangus likes this.