Identify this old race bike circa early 2ks

Discussion in 'General' started by Superchikn996, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Superchikn996

Superchikn996 Well-Known Member

Hello.
    Trying to find some info on what is said to be a former AMA race bike( guess pro thunder class) from around 99-2005.
    Im interested in buying it for a track bike and maybe once I learn to ride it a little, ahmra racing.
    Bike is a 99 SV650, it is the number # 17 bike in the picture attached.
    Bike currently is painted in the blue and neon yellow Suzuki colors, but has the yellow and white plastic as well.
    The current owner knows very little about it, it dosent run but that's not really a problem dealing with the fuel system.
    Trying to determine what it's actually worth , and what has been done to it.
    It has what appears to be rs250 wheels, and gsxr suspension, and comes with an extra engine that is supposed be built by spears racing.
    But that's all I really know about it.
    Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Gino230 likes this.
  2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

That is Mark Ledesma on MB Motorsport built bike.

Shenanigans and TurboBlew like this.
  3. TWF2

Here is the one I raced in pro thunder

Attached Files:

Superchikn996 likes this.
  4. Superchikn996

That's awesome thanks!
    I wondered about it being one of zorans bikes, in the yellow and white livery.
    Do you remember much about the engine set ups?
    Are those pvm magnesium wheels from an rs250 "that is on it? Resize_20230306_223036_6030.jpg Resize_20230306_223513_3823.jpg

Attached Files:

5. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Check out that swingarm! Was that the same bike that was in AFM around 2005-6?

6. TWF2

I don't really know Ledesma's bike. It was built by Frank Stroman and supervised by 3 foot screwdriver :)
    Think originally it was 3mm over with megacycle cams and a lot of head work.

7. TWF2

Think I sold it by then. It was my sv I bought brand new soonest they came to dealer back in 99. I made that swingarm brace. It is same bike we did 24hr at willows except we had stock engine in it.
    Changed few owners, Benjamin had it at one time, than Sewell. Frame ended back to me, I traded Dan another frame for it only because it was still titled in my name :)

8. Superchikn996

It has the customary penske rear, gmd adjustable clamps, spare front fairing and the supposed Superbike engine.
    Currently it is a non runner ("been siting couple years carbs gummed up)
    Any idea of what this bike would be worth as is?

9. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Freakin' clapped out SVs never die :eek:

Add some 996/998 bodywork and everyone wants one :D

Superchikn996 likes this.
  10. Superchikn996

Ha I was thinking if I wind up with it, fitting 21 gsxr1000 front fairing and paint it Acura Rosso red just for the fun of it

11. TWF2

Think those are zx6 forks and swingarm. Believe wheels may be PVM. Marchesini has similar wheel as well. If I remember marches ini spokes were U shaped while PVM were more triangle.

12. TWF2

About $3k if parted out (assuming flats are still on it). As whole 1/3 of that

13. Superchikn996

I wondered about that.
    I've missed out on some really nice motoamerica bikes for 3-5,
    why I was trying to find out more about it as 2500 seemed high to me and it not running and the vintage.

14. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

That Ledesma/Coyle brothers bike had some serious engine work along with the flatslides. 2000 Gsxr 600 forks with custome GMD triples, a Xx6r swingarm. Bike was seriously cool.
    I haven't seen it in many years so who know what it currently has.
    Where did you find it? Location?

15. tree-fiddy

ungwaha likes this.
  16. Superchikn996

Farragut, TN outside Knoxville

17. That was a fast SV and a good rider. We were all lucky that Ledesma wasn't riding at a Colorado or AZ track that day.

18. TWF2

You are on that picture as well :)

19. Crazy day Zoran. After Montano crashed with a huge lead the battle for 4th became the battle for 3rd. Ledesma was in it too.

laguna2000_2.jpg

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When did early 2ks become an old racebike? :(