1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpinestars race suits, Old vs New

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kevgentile, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Kevgentile

Kevgentile Well-Known Member

Figured I'd put this post here since it kinda refers to race suit "tech".
    Are the later gp-tech v2/v3 suits that much superior to the predecessor race replica to invest in a new suit? (Minus the tech-air since I can fit it in the race rep) All in on a new suit with alterations i'd still be in well over 2k.

I still rock an'08-'10 Astars Race replica suit. It was an off-the-rack suit but had all the necessary alterations completed to fit like a custom suit. The fit and feel is phenomenal and still in excellent condition.

The shoulder dfs protectors have started to crack up and come apart.
    Astars will not sell replacements but I've located an MX-1 jacket with the same gp-dfs. To do the swap would run over $500 all in.

2. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

the biggest issue is leather rot cracking and weakening of the leather do to the age and salt over the year

RichMangus likes this.
  3. Kevgentile

Kevgentile Well-Known Member

My suit had been shelved for several years and had very little use. The leather is in fantastic shape. As mentioned, the only issue are the shoulder dfs plates.
    I've watched a few of Brian Van/stg videos on the newer gp tech suits. He raves about them but I can't see a big improvement over the og race rep.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Alpinestars plastic must have a secret planned obsolescence ingredient in them...
    I had to throw away a brand new pair of 2008 supertechs I had in my climate controlled gear closet, because the plastic crumbled inside the original packaging. I couldnt even give them away if I wanted they degraded so bad.