1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Those of you who podcast

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Mar 3, 2023.

1. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

So I just started a podcast, mostly just to fart around and see if I like it. No particular agenda or specific topic. Dad stuff, dude stuff, food, cooking, motorcycles, bourbon, beer, pooping… my loose plan is to pic a random topic for the episode and go from there. I’ve done 2 episodes so far (this week).

I’m using Podbean, and using my phone and their audio system to record and post. I don’t want to spend money on dedicated equipment just yet. If I’m still doing it in a month or three, and I’ve got some good feedback and followers then I’ll look at dedicated audio gear. That being said…

Any tips or guidance? First episode was about 15 minutes, second was about 30. Shooting for a 20-30 minute range but not married to a specific time length.

I call it: My Morninng RxTION: let’s talk about the first thing that pops up.

That’s all.

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

All I can offer is there's already way too many podcasts I want to listen to and nowhere near enough time. Don't even bother. :D

pjzocc likes this.
  3. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Like 4 million or something like that. Not looking to become famous. More like a timewaster as I’m sitting in the can or sauté’ing or drinking…

And whatever… your northern ass best support the ‘Cuse peeps!!

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

1. Your audio quality needs to be as close to perfect as possible. People get pissed and stop listening if they can't hear you clearly, if there are any clicks or clipping, etc etc. Recording with wired AirPods on an iPhone can be acceptable if you aren't in an echo-y room, you don't move around much, and you know how to set your levels.
    2. The personality you portray is very very important. If your persona is boring, people will listen to someone else. Be hyped and engaging, or don't bother recording.
    3. Try to publish on a schedule.

pjzocc likes this.
  5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

+1

People can listen to Joe Rogan and Russel Brand talk out of their anuses. Don't bother checking any facts, just try to look like a badass ex-MMA or fake rockstar and spew bullshit based on your feelings. I do agree these guys can be entertaining, but the level of drivel they say is just overwhelming.

pjzocc likes this.
  6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

What pisses me off the most about some podcasts is the audio difference between the host and their guest and having to turn the volume up or down to hear or get hearing damage from one or the other. So fucking annoying.

pjzocc likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Paddock Pass Podcast has one dude who speaks very softly relative to the other two or three on their MotoGP panel. Now that I think about it, I didn't notice it as much last year. But the disparity used to annoy the shit out of me for the longest time because I don't like to turn up the volume when I listen to stuff. I wonder if I simply got used to it. I sent them a message early on, which acknowledged and said they would fix it, but it continued for long time. Then at some point, I stopped noticing.

Then there is the dude who speaks in a foreign language on their WSBK panel. Scottish, I think? Issue there is not volume but my inability to understand that language. I quit about 50% of the time. :D

mpusch likes this.
  8. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I was watching the movie Snatch the other night and had to put closed captioning on that shit especially when the Pikeys are talking. What did they just say? The closed captioning isn't even accurate I think
    upload_2023-3-3_14-35-20.png

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, first thing I do when I put on a Guy Ritchie movie is turn on subtitles.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  10. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Being in global IT, I've worked with just about every accent. My boss is Indian (previous was Irish), most direct coworker is Scottish, and I have multiple French, Japanese, Chinese, and even Russian colleagues. I wonder if there's an accent (speaking English) that I still have to pay close attention to.

I will say, my family still enjoys overhearing my con calls with my Scottish and French co workers talking.

11. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I know you said you want to do it on the cheap, but with so many podcasts out there now, I dont give time to ones that sound like a bad phone call recording in a tiled bathroom. THere was one that may have been good between two younger PTs talking about orthopedic info, but their recording quality was so bad between the two, I ditched it after one episode. WHen I did mine, I used Audacity and was able to get some fair quality recordings. I also took time to edit out all the "ummmms" and "ahhhs" or any periods of uncomfortable silence. Its a PITA, but if you want any listeners, and that may not be all that important to you, you may just want to do this as an audio blog for yourself, and more power to you if so, but if you want listeners, quality of recording, into music, bump music etc, all helps.

pjzocc likes this.
  12. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

If I enjoy it and get good feedback and still doing it in a month or two then I’ll look into equipment. I just didn’t want to go balls deep with stuff, get bored or dismayed and then have a bunch of shit I look at that I don’t use any more.

Audacity has been recommended by friends and I’ll look into it when time comes.

I’ll see if I can share an episode here but can’t figure out the intricacies of Podbean and how to imbed into a thread like this.

Or maybe it’s better if I can’t… :crackup:

13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

It’s fur mee ma.

grasshopper likes this.
  14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Will you have an episode of you breathing heavily for 30 minutes? ;-)

15. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

most likely!!

16. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Did you buy the restaurant?

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

HELLS YEAH!!!

I'm a subscriber then!!!!

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Pretty sure he did not.

19. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

No. It went to auction and he didn’t get the price he wanted. Ended up selling just a couple months for 1.5M. Learned a lot in the process and still have eyes open for another opportunity.

20. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

You should do a ro jogan style podcast but interview random beebers.

pjzocc likes this.