1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

North American Talent Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by Red Fox Racing, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Great kid and Mama DiMario makes great lasagna :D

2. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

Saw on FB that its cancelled this season???

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Where'd you see that?

4. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

I can confirm that the North America Talent Cup has been cancelled for 2023 due to lack of entries.
    The series received a lot of direct support from the FIM. Without enough entries that support was not justified anymore so I could no longer afford to run the series on my own with the limited sponsorship I had available.

One of our kids went to Red Bull Rookies Cup and we most certainly would have had another this year. Our champion from last year has also had some great opportunities come his way.

Sucks that it’s come to this for everyone involved but I unfortunately lost the battle on every front behind the scenes to gain support and it became no longer viable.

I’m proud of what we accomplished last year with the resources we had and I think the racing was absolutely amazing at each round.

stk0308, Senna and ungwaha like this.
  5. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ man its stuff like this that really stinks about our sport.

I mean I get it, money makes it go round and all that. But the NATC was really promising to me. A relatively cost effective stepping stone between Mini Cup and the Rookies is something that is sorely needed in this hemisphere.

6. voss555

Just some observations...
    The age limits probably hurt quite a bit- understand that's an FIM thing. A handful of 11-14 year old US riders already competing in Europe in various series.
    Travel this year would have been double JC for Midwest based rider.

7. gpstar748

No way around the age thing for any series in the world. Even in Europe…at least not for a proper FIM Talent Cup series that is part of the Road to MotoGP program.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  8. voss555

Well whatever feeder series that Kensei and Mikey Lou are running in isn't 14. It's an FIM thing right?

9. gpstar748

Not a Road To MotoGP program and not on 250’s.

10. voss555

They RRW article just out says 250s, maybe a typo, some on 150R. Completely understand FIM Road to MotoGP is 14. Get it. My point was that it seems the reality of the situation is young US riders that have any chance of going on to that level are already in Europe riding GP bikes well before 14. And if you're not then you're probably better off club riding shitty 400s and R3s and doing MotoA stuff. Hence why there was a challenge finding 20 riders willing to chase that dream.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, bummer but we do still have plenty of classes for all the kids looking to learn how to get better and work their way up to the pro ranks.

t11ravis, StaccatoFan and voss555 like this.
  12. gpstar748

The Moto5 championship he raced in last year uses a cheaper 250 air cooled engines as far as I know.

The Moto4 class mostly uses a liquid cooled Honda 150r engines.

Not the same and it’s a way for Spain to skirt the FIM rules from my viewpoint. FIM and Dorna are really trying hard to standardize roadracing and how kids progress through the sport so there is parity around the world.

Either way Moto5 and Moto4 in Spain are definitely no where near what something like the European Talent Cup or Asia Talent Cup are with proper NSF250 gp bikes.

13. voss555

I would bet the Moto4 bike would be pretty close to the NATC bike on track. For ex, at Barber cup bike are 5 sec slower than NSFs with fast riders. But I get it totally different. Sorry to muddy the waters. Not sure why there wasn't enough interest in the US.

14. gpstar748

The NATC bikes put out quite a bit more HP than a Moto4 bike so not sure I’d agree with that but they are certainly awesome little bikes.

15. voss555

I think you said 37hp early on for the cup bikes, the RRW press release says 30, no mention if thats crank or wheel but I do know the 150r we built last year made 24.5hp at the wheel on a Bazazz dyno.

16. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

So what becomes of all the bikes?

17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

There have been some listed for sale here in the want ads. Mostly kids that got promoted and/or aged out of eligibility.

18. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Correct me if I’m wrong but these bikes is nothing more the old Aprilia RS 125 but now a different engine. Basically this is what Rossi rode before he jumped on the GP bikes, also Chaz Davis, Cruthlow, Stoner rode the same bikes in the UK very early in their careers.

19. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

No

20. gpstar748

like any other bike…you ride it, leave it sit, or sell it.

what’s different?