1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insurance

Discussion in 'General' started by twin ty, Feb 23, 2023.

1. twin ty

twin ty Well-Known Member

So I recently purchased a motorcycle that I consider to be a collectible (RC-51). I may ride it, street only, occasionally. Does the beeb pro’s recommend special coverage or the normal comp/coll? My concern is that if anything ever happened to it, it’s basically unobtanium.
    Thanks!

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Full coverage shouldn't be too much for it.

twin ty likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

stated value policy...

twin ty likes this.
  4. twin ty

Thanks! It has full coverage, but actual value doesn’t equal to KBB.

5. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

look up Haggarty, Lloyd's, or the like, for collector type, high end value policies. it will have to be assessed, for value (at your cost). Ski

twin ty and BrentA like this.
  6. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

This is the way to go. They'll assess it, or you tell them the value you want to insure and you'll pay the premium based on that.

twin ty likes this.
  7. Gigantor24

Gigantor24 Member

We need pics of mentioned RC-51!

twin ty likes this.
  8. twin ty

Here ya go! The day I brought it home. BFDB1F5A-6C3F-4504-A0A6-84F4D49857AE.jpeg

evakat, tony 340, JBall and 7 others like this.
  9. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Yeah the stated value of just about everything right now is completely out of whack with what people are paying probably the same with you people but every motorcycle I own is selling for double what blue book is...

Hell there's a 86 VFR750 listed for $7500.00.

I Bought both mine for $250.00 combined just 2 years ago

RC-51s Nice bikes,
    I always kind of wanted one , due to Hondas Superior engineering.
    No company has or ever will equal their innovation, quality & commitment to pure excellence.

So hard to locate a "low" mileage version.

There's today there's like 10 on Facebook marketplace..but all have like 35-60k on them.

But I see these easily being worth 10-15k in the future..perhaps more for low mileage versions.

twin ty and Gigantor24 like this.
  10. Gigantor24

Gigantor24 Member

My RC has been my favorite bike by far..

I need to call and check on insured value thanks to this thread. It pry needs to be adjusted

twin ty likes this.
  11. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

twin ty likes this.
  12. twin ty

Thank you!
    That VFR value helps to alleviate any buyers remorse I may have had. I got lucky with this one. It barely had 10k for mileage.

Gigantor24 likes this.
  13. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

The RC-51 is a special bike, alot hand built on a separate assembly line.
    Great machines..again never to be duplicated again.
    Let the youngsters..have all the new look alike low buck bikes they want, regardless of performance.
    If ya look at each and every bike from that era..they had individuality..and just special character to each brand...riding any variation of a 2 stroke was beyond special..speed don't matter one bit , the style and charisma....is special to each and your Rc-51 is one of the last examples of that entire 30 yr era....
    I have a friend who's has 160,000 miles and counting on a Honda 93 VFR750... Seriously....ain't nothing like em again

14. This this and maybe some sort of version of this. As has been discussed on here many times about “value” of certain older bikes, Jake from State Farm may not agree.

15. twin ty

Well said. This is the 3rd 2000’s era v twin (TL1000R, Mille R) that I’ve had. Those bikes were good, but championships speak volumes. Respect
    to Nicky and Collin.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  16. joec

joec brace yourself

your insurance agent wont do an apraisal? thats how i did my car way back. they appraise it and cover it for that.

Once a Wanker.. and twin ty like this.
  17. twin ty

They probably could do the appraisal. However, I didn’t get the feeling this was their specialty.

18. dasrider

dasrider 99 problems

We think alike, I've been through an '00 TLR, '01 Mille, '02 RC51, '03 SV1000S and currently in my stable are an '04 Futura and '08 RSVR. Yeah, there's been other bikes too, but I see a pattern...

twin ty likes this.
  19. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

The ones that Nicky and Colin rode were RC51s in name only.:D

969, twin ty and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  20. twin ty

Great minds…..,
    I never should have let that TL go, it had that full ti M4!!