1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VP fuel, V12. $13/gallon.

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by dave3593, Dec 27, 2022.

1. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

$13/gallon is the least I've ever paid for VP, C12. It was a few days ago at the Columbus, Ohio Shell station on Hamilton road. Close to the I70 interchange on the east side of Columbus. Right beside Eastland Towing.

They sell it out of a pump and I have bought it there several times. They told me it was a recent delivery. I have paid more than double this from places that sell it in a VP can.

I put this here because I know it is often used for 2 strokes.

RC713 likes this.
  2. Super Dave

Super Dave Exhausted and Abused

Coming out of a pump, it is delivered via a truck that had something else in it. Who knows what was in the below or above ground container holding the fuel. With all the "extras", that's a rough way to tune.

I think getting fuel from a new can (because not all manufacturers do that) and, hopefully, capped after nitrogen has been put on top is a good practice. I think Power Mist T111 is less expensive than C12 with a similar octane and a lower lead content.

3. dave3593

I do not deny that fuel out of a manufacturer's sealed can takes out a variable but I have bought VP C12 both ways.

As far as switching to something else, it is far more than just octane. Fuels also are tailored for burn speed, latent heat of vaporization and other variables. C12 is a go to fuel for high RPM 2 strokes in part because of the fast burn speed which is needed for a 13,000 RPM engine. All the more so when the engine is a 2 stroke. The pressure from combustion only pushes for the short time until the exhaust ports are open.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  4. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I've used the VP, two-stroke interchangeable heads 150 lb compression nothing extremely radical but that fuel is expensive.
    I haven't noticed a difference from what I prefer to run which is aviation fuel AV100.
    I mix that w clots super technically their synthetic two-stroke oil and 20% castor bean oil mix.
    I honestly don't think I could get a better fuel for my application.. the combination of lead helps cool the two-stroke the synthetic oil keeps it clean and the castor bean provides that extra edge it's almost made in heaven.
    Can I use the av100 in my GSXR too, I actually use it in all my bikes as the ethanol fu*ks things up so so bad...
    If I had a super high compression build, on the razors edge...perhaps I'd run the VP.

5. dave3593

How much does avgas cost?

Have you had seal or hose problems with alcohol?

I just run vp in the tz. My stock rz gets pump hi test and klotz.

6. NOLAracer

NOLAracer Well-Known Member

I use avgas and klotz r50 in my TZ too along with all my lawn equipment. I get it from a local airport for around 5 ish a gallon.

7. This old Rz

AV100 is about $5.00 a gallon here in Calif.

There is multiple opinions on the internet regarding it but many people have used it for decades..
    Technically it is a lighter fuel and Burns leaner and technically should be jetted accordingly.
    For my application I run my jetting is conservative as possible I don't run anything on the ragged edge... It is a good fuel you can mix with hi octane pump Fuel.. or mix it with race fuel.

On your TZ if you are a hardcore Pro let's say like Rich Oliver etc you likely run that TZ jetted to every condition of the day I would not run av100 I would only run race fuel.
    On your average RZ if it's relatively stock I think high octane pump Fuel is just fine but I prefer the AV because it has like 0 ethanol and does not gum up the engine at all zero you can store your bike w fuel and not worry about the carbs.

As far as alcohol / methanol... I haven't used that in years only on a drag bike would I consider it.
    Alky/meth uses twice the rate of fuel and makes a mess of the engine. I'm not that competitive .si could care less

At 5 bucks a gallon AV100 for most two strokes has proven to be a good choice, it's a fantastic mix with race fuel and even high octane pump Fuel.

dave3593 likes this.
  8. RC713

RC713 Well-Known Member

Where in CA did you get it for $5 a gallon? Thanks

9. This old Rz

If you were asking me, I got mine @29palms airfield.
    It's been 8 months since I bought my last barrel though.

10. RC713

RC713 Well-Known Member

I was indeed, thank you for the reply.

11. Super Dave

I'm using Power Mist T-111 in my TZ125. Ships world wide from NJ. Just got my resupply here in Wisconsin for the next season plus last week.

12. MrGooch

MrGooch Well-Known Member

I’m assuming a lot of us are getting 5-gallon pails? What do you do with them when empty?

I’ve got a stack of Sunoco cans I need to get rid of.

13. Super Dave

Locally, my area has bulk pick up, and they will take containers. Usually someone takes them before they are picked up.