1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

18mm thin wall spark plug socket

Discussion in 'General' started by Buell1965, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Hello , and forgive me if this is in the wrong post spot . I will be attending the Talladega round feb 24th and 25th and in need of a 18mm thin wall spark plug socket that i didnt relize i needed for a plug swap on a Triumph and the one i have ordered may not make it in time . Please pm me if anyone that will be attending can loan me one for a few minutes . Thank you in advance

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Don't know if your in a position to do this, but here's a thought. I have an 09 BMW GSA that takes a thin wall to get the plug out. Of course BMW sells one for a kings ransom, but I found a trick on the BMW forum. Their trick is to get a cheap Harbor Freight socket and then use a belt sander to make it thin. Luckily I own a belt sander and by damn it worked and only took about 5 minutes.

(And I'll check if I might have one too, I'll be there)

BigBird and Buell1965 like this.
  3. Buell1965

Thank you sir , I have a socket I can sacrifice and if no other option I will looking for the belt sander hook up here local , thanks for the info and looking forward to seeing you

rd400racer likes this.
  4. Buell1965

Update and problem solved , thanks to RD racer .. forgot I had a bench grinder .

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

And another backyard mechanic is born. A good one never lets having the proper tool keep the job from being completed.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Old Honda off road bikes (XRs) had one in the tool kit. I have collected several. Sometimes they can be found at yard sales or on ebay.

black knight, backbone and Buell1965 like this.
  7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Some say every time Jeff Lever stubs his toe or bangs his knuckles on a motorcycle, a shade tree mechanic gets his wings. Well not really wings, but they think they are due to the meth induced hallucinations and try to jump off a building.

BigBird and Buell1965 like this.
  8. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Ran into that same issue on my Triumph in 06. Couldn’t find one anywhere. Final solution, a normal 18mm deep well and a grinder. Ground to fit, smoothed with a sander. Know anyone with a lathe, make it really pretty.

Buell1965 likes this.
  9. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Throw a standard socket in a lathe...Bob's your uncle.

Buell1965 likes this.
  10. Buell1965

worked just dandy , RD it was a chrome snap on and once i got past the chrome it was easy peasy .

rd400racer likes this.
  11. Buell1965

I wished a had a lathe but i would wind up dragging my shirt in to it and the wife would get rich when the rest of me came in behind it

you should see me with baling wire and duct tape with a dash of JB . just kidding as one of best guys told me he would never use a tool that wasnt meant for the task .
    88/532 had the check list down to the low hangin and Faack

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Excellent! Glad it worked out and was pretty simple.

Buell1965 likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

The Bench grinder that was used

[​IMG]

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

[​IMG]

dtalbott, Buell1965 and BigBird like this.
  15. Buell1965