1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2023 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Feb 14, 2023.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

2. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I was @ Daytona when I was very young.
    1983 Kenny Roberts won the race.
    I watched Lawson,Roberts, Spencer, Romero etc..
    It was fun, I was also there in 1993 10 years later when Eddie won it again for Yamaha. Good ol
    Vance & Hines crew
    By then as ya know, the GP machinery was already phased out for factory supported superbikes.
    Which at the time was a big let down for many. It was a awesome period of superstars. The only thing that compared was Suzuka, which was a spectacle beyond anything I've ever viewed before or since. In both the races.. It was the sheer spectacle.

it's never been equaled . And NEVER will be again
    The machinery was just incredible.

I never really been a "rider " fanboy per se, it's always been more about the machines the engineering behind them... But I certainly do have my favorites obviously Lawson ...duh

And of course Ru$$ell and Mladin...attitude!
    Truthfully Rossi was " "The Dude"

I do have good Daytona memories,even have some VFR 750 Daytona parts in my Garage for my old school VFR project. I think they were Merkel's or Chandler's/Ashmeads...? I did honestly enjoy that era of History, The Japanese....threw everything..they had @ American racing..that too will never be witnessed again. It was nuts

Perspective, I know the track has changed etc..you can't compare
    But from a machinery perspective..

40 YEARS AGO, w True GP machinery
    Yamahas 2 Stroke weighed
    300 lbs
    150-175 h.p.
    And capable of 195 mph @ Daytona.
    on basically Bias Ply tires.

As someone born and raised around the 2 stroke 500s...it's very hard to get too excited by 4 Strokes .
    From that standpoint it's all been just neutered spec racing....

But if can be argued, that tight close "spec" racing Moto2 etc...delivers better "viewer racing" people get bored if ... A superior Factory machine or Rider or tire choice, puts it out a minute ahead of anybody else .....I get it. Doesn't really change my opinion, but if someone's dumbass enough to let me influence them , well that's there problem. Nothing's stopping them from all the enjoyment they could ever want
    Hell I like desert/ participate in deser racing .. nothing's more boring for a spectator that's sitting waiting and waiting and waiting...lol. my friends fu@kin hate it ..lol
    As with anything I don't much follow what others tell me to watch or participate in... YIve always done & set my own path.
    It served me decent, but obviously not without its problems or difference of opinions...Its all good

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It's funny how nostalgia colors (in pink) people's view of the past.

20 YEARS AGO, true WSBK machinery.
    Gobert's ex-Haga Yamaha R7
    Superior in every way to 1983 GP machinery, and possibly sexier.

And Broome's never heard of one. Time marches on.

4. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

We only had a few liter bikes in the last few ROC Team Challenge races and most had only one tire change in the race. But those aren't superbikes. Last October two M4 750s finished 1st and 2nd with a BMW 1000 in third.

I'd rather watch the current machines race in close battles than a handful of superbikes leaving everyone else behind, but that's just me.

5. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Precisely. I remember taking my girlfriend to the ROC at Daytona back around 2009-2010. There was a barn burner of a race involving about 7-8 bikes. It was one of those rare races where Eric and Jeff Wood were going head to head. The following spring, we came down for the 200. We were at the International Horseshoe for the Superbike race. As we stood there, Mladin came along. A few seconds later, Spies came by. It was a bit later before the third place guy came by. Diane turned to me and asked, "What's this shit? The races last fall were a lot better!"

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

No rose colored spectacles here, That my point..right there.
    @ that time Yamahas R7 racebike ( heavily influenced) by the way on chassis design from the YZR500.
    The race bike was approx 400 lbs wet, w about 145+ h.p. And top speed of 170 MPH from 750cc impressive for
    "production" spec bike.
    My point being..that machine was 30 years newer.. vs Yamahas Ol Daytona one off OWs that were damn near 300 lbs wet, delivered 150-170 h.p. and achieved 190 mph +
    So really..when compared...doesn't get yer blood pressure goin....
    But Obviously chassis,and tires....enable the newer machines to substantially lower lap times, and now with all the computer rider aids ..even more so. Mute point in some ways, wondering what if, GP tech has stayed or crossed over..I think tire technology may be darn near it's current limit.. and worldwide I don't think the racing demand is pushing research and development like it did to the '80s to mid-2000s.....
    But No denying...within their class the AMA & WBSK machines were awesome to look at..and certainly identified with the buyer, racer and spectators... definitely.
    And they all had individual character..IMO majority of new bikes, pretty much all look the same...not that that's bad..just not for everyone...

I used to enjoy Formula USA, was a BIG..HUGE fan!
    But the finesse, tech and ability of the 500 2 STROKES, would easily overcome, the sheer brutal h.p. damn near 200h.p. some of the teams were Fielding...trying to beat the lightweight 140 h.p. YZRs...They did beat the 2 STROKES on several occasions, where tire life could be sustained.....

Anyways...yepper, the tire tech and resulting suspension / chassis development has pushed the machines along the farthest...

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Are you sure you are remembering correctly?
    The year?
    The riders?
    Superbikes?

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

On a factory superbike? Yeah, maybe in fifth gear.

Canadian Bacon and stk0308 like this.
  9. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Vague recollection. Somewhat off. Research shows that Mladin won Superbike in 2008 and 2009. He ran away. Spies not there. Maybe Young? The top three of the race was pretty boring, to say the least. Here is a photo of the 2008 ROC race, showing the pack at the white flag. I don't remember the class. Woods were there, maybe Lee Acree, too.

[​IMG]

MELK-MAN and brex like this.
  10. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I've been watching the 200 since I was 7. I've missed a few years here and there (including lately). My favorite would be the 1993 Lawson/Russell battle. I was there and it was the most exciting strategic race and finish I've seen in the 200. One of the best races period. The reaction of the crowd was unlike anything I have seen there before.

I know there wasn't an evenly-matched field affordable bikes where "anyone" could win, or that everybody had predicable and safe tire situations (in fact it was last minute tire issues that made it exciting), but the heroes were close and that was what mattered.

I miss the drama of coming up the week before the race and waiting in the pits to see what the factories were going to unload. Hunting down the racing royalty who showed up that year. It was amazing stuff.

The factories used to build special bikes for the 200, even in the "production based" days. The Japanese manufacturers had a huge depth of knowledge due as much to the importance of endurance racing in Japan, as much as GP bikes.

If the 200 still held it's (rightful in my opinion) place as one of those one-off "event" races, it could still rise to what it was. Right now, that doesn't seem possible. There is a little hope every now and again (like MotoAmerica getting involved), but still seems unlikely as much as I would like to see it.

There were years of mis-management, warring factions and waning interest by various parties (factories, track and other stakeholders) that got it to where it is.

Full credit to the race as it is. It is never "easy" to participate, let alone win. And each race has it's excitement and stories. But it once had a drama and marketing clout (new bikes on display in the infield and on the track) that it is miles away from now. The best in the world would show up, and yes I do miss that.

HPPT and gixxerboy55 like this.
  11. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I loved the 200 back in the day, but to say 600's make it not the 200, that's old man talk. I felt that way also, until I stepped back and looked at everything.

The laptimes are the same from then and now. The racing is at least as good. The only thing we miss is, the names aren't as big. The whole sport is dealing with that.

I did think those bikes were cooler than the current bikes, but they weren't better. Modern bikes are so much better than everything we had back then, it doesn't make sense.

Saying it should be SBKs is ignorant also. The superbikes of the "good old days" were 750s, not 1000s. So if you want your 200 back, you have to start by getting your superbikes back. The 1000s were in formula extreme. They had a sprint race, and they weren't what todays 1000s are now.

jksoft, CR750, MELK-MAN and 1 other person like this.
  12. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

As many “HP challenged” competitors would say ...

RiDE THE BANKING, WITH YOUR KNEE ON THE APRON!!

It is the shorter distance around !

13. motodog650

motodog650 pissed-off bloody wanker

14. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

15. motodog650

motodog650 pissed-off bloody wanker

Pretty deep field. I count at least 15 podium contenders, of which a dozen stand a realistic shot at victory.

Will be interesting to see whose running what rubber...

grasshopper likes this.
  16. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

KneeDragger_c69 and MELK-MAN like this.
  17. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

• IMG_1492.PNG
    • they ballsed it up and didnt mean to share it. shoutout to the discord for the screen shot

tawzx12r likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is a MotoAmerica race, they'll all be on Dunlops.

19. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Not for Daytona.
    I think all 4 brands will be represented this year.

20. voss555

voss555 Well-Known Member

Whats the 4th? Bridgestone? Continental?