1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dragons back..

Discussion in 'General' started by long path/road, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Never been to it and dont care to either.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I remember doing a “less than legal” road race in PA way back. Heavy traveled roads, full of tourists with a few sections that were sketchy to say the least. Eventually it turned into a high speed group ride with skill level classes, cash and drew quite a few riders until. . . I think the lawsuits were going on for many years after.

that was before trackday were invented and the hot hand was the Interceptor. I think I rode a Harris KZ1000.

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

How about no, and fuck you.

Bugslayer likes this.
  4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Dave K king of the 2 strokes….because no matter the distance he finishes in 2 strokes.

:D

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  5. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

Guess I got my tools mixed up. Lol.

gapman789 likes this.
  6. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Rode it a few times during the week, it’s fun. Would never go on a weekend. Lots of other roads in the area that are as much if not more fun, without the notoriety.

7. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

The Cherahola is an instant meat grinder if you crash. It is an amazing road though. That being said, I drove it a few times in '22 and it's an overgrown mess. It used to be so beautiful, but now you can't see jack crap and you can't see ahead through the corners anymore.

Deals Gap is a lot slower and fun. As far as real road racing goes, it would be WAY safer than the Cherahola. Of course, as many have said, that's a pipe dream in the US.

8. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

That would be K51000

Bugslayer likes this.
  9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

This is the dickhead that refused to pay his bet to the AFF.

Bugslayer and Banditracer like this.
  10. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Been a few times.Never got a good run on the bike. Immediately ran up behind leo,and then a day of shit pipe Hardley Movingsons.I have had a few good trips in the car when I had it..but no.Its not worth the hype,and a great place to get hit head on.
    I do enjoy looking at Killboys photos though of the weekly shit show
    Killboy – The ORIGINAL Dragon Photographer – Tail of the Dragon Photos

11. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

So many f#cksticks to keep track of.

Banditracer and brex like this.
  12. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

You rang?

Bugslayer and brex like this.
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Wayyyy better in every way.

14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

LMFAO....Nobody didn't pay a debt you dick....Pay the fuck attention and watch your mouth.
    I"m constantly contributing to AFF everytime i buy something and donate.....Definitely the off season for you to be running your cocksucker about nothing, fucking Karen.

15. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

They do it with cars. I wanted to do this years ago just for fun.
    Nevada Silver State Challenge.
    https://sscc.us/

16. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Is that anything like the 2 pump chump?

17. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Deals gap was awesome before the internet showed up. Used to go up there pretty regularly in the 90s. Was a lot of fun back then. I've ridded the Back of the Dragon in NC also...pretty decent and fun road. Lots of great riding up that way.

Mick6R, gapman789 and cav115 like this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've lived 2.5-3 hours from it for almost 30 years now and still no interest. Plenty of other really good roads without all the bullshit.

Once a Wanker.. and Steeltoe like this.
  19. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I have a pretty long history in the area as a visitor. Used to go up there with my Dad (it was my first long trip with my first street bike). My parents bought a vacation home up there and eventually moved up there full time. They both passed recently, and I inherited their place. So, now I'm even a NC tax payer!

Most of this journey revolved around riding motorcycles up there.

Although I have been going up there on family vacations as a kid, I probably started riding motorcycles up there in the mid 80's, . Deal's Gap wasn't called "The Dragon", It was an abandoned gas station and hotel that became a stop/hangout because it was situated in an area full of great roads and had a flat parking lot that you could park more than a few bikes in (rare in those days on the mountain roads). I rarely saw a cruiser or car there.

The gas station tried a few times to open again, first just seasonally and the rest, as they say, is history.

The Cherohola skyway didn't really exist. There wasn't an outfitters, coffee shop, craft brewery and year-round Christmas store in every little town. Occasionally, you'd run across genuine "country" experiences. A gas station still using glass "visible" pumps (admittedly, just for fuel oil, but I did get to see one in operation). "Honor" markets that just left a box at the stand to put your money and make change. A farmer driving their tractor into town, moonshiners, etc.

Throughout all of this it was, and still is, an amazing place to ride bikes. My Dad rode his bike with his friends the week before he passed. If I went out with him, he could still find a route where we saw very few vehicles during the whole ride.

I don't live up there (yet), so maybe I never "wore out" the riding, roads and whatnot. Although I've got a few bad feelings going up there right now because the recent issues with my Parents, I'm sure it will eventually be a treat again to visit.

Steeltoe, tl1098, ToofPic and 2 others like this.
  20. Kevgentile

Kevgentile Well-Known Member

Great roads for multi-day rides and trying to stay off the highways.
    Road from DC to New Orleans and back riding all the "backroads", all of the BRP, Smokies, Deals/TOTD, Cherohala, and Natchez Trace.
    It can get busy but beats dodging the truckers and other maniacs on 81