1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paypal/Venmo reporting transactions over $600 to the IRS

Discussion in 'General' started by Za-Ham, Feb 14, 2023.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You have that backwards though. The seller isn't really at risk by using friends and family, the buyer is at risk.

BigBird likes this.
  2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

No. Selling personal property at loss is not deductible. According to them your profit is 0 so nothing to file. They only want share if you make money :)

BigBird likes this.
  3. Za-Ham

Za-Ham Well-Known Member

So the IRS website appears to state its still a 20,000 limit but the paypal website says its a $600 threshold and a customer representative I talked to on the phone stated that as of January of this year they now report you if you receive over $600. So I guess I answered my own question.

4. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I believe I read about this- they said that selling items you already own (used shock for example) doesn't qualify, and if you do receive the 1099, you can explain this to PayPal and they will rescind it.

They're going after people like my handyman tenant. When we qualified him for the apartment, he sent us a bank statement with like 100 Venmo transactions per month. Mostly small tile or electrical work, but you could see that this is what the government is after.

5. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

This blew up big at the end of last year. It was supposed to be in place for 2022, but the IRS pushed it to 2023.

Here's a good article.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/unders...ould-impact-private-party-bike-sales.1212942/

For the record, I've gone to cash/check only now too for my side work and selling stuff.

Gotta love how they name these bills... American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 is where this new law was put into place.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-an...or-third-party-payment-platforms-forms-1099-k

6. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

They didn't hire those 80k workers yet :)

5axis, craig641, tl1098 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

The funding for them was actually stripped from the spending bill but lets face it, I bet they couldnt hire 10,000. Shit jobs with shit pay

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

But it comes with the ability to carry a gun which could be worth a lot depending on where you live.

9. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

Im not sure thats high on the list for administrative government number nerds.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Carrying a gun and being willing to use it is a requirement for the job. They must be willing to engage in physical raids and searches also, it's not just a desk job juggling paperwork.

11. thrak410

We were friends with a recovery agent... they're no joke.

12. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

The revenuer man wanted grand daddy bad, headed up the hollar with everything he had......

5axis and Steeltoe like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Great song but that's more ATF than IRS :D

14. Dan Dubeau

Still a limb of Uncle Sam. Don't steal money from Uncle Sam unless you are family.

Motofun352 and tl1098 like this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If we want tax evasion tips from the snow messicans, we’ll let you know :Poke:

16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

White collar crime always pays better than any Union, and you still have the same corruption.

Ask the men from Enron

17. Dan Dubeau

I don't think there is anything in that regard that we do, that you guys haven't already perfected.

18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

How do Canuckistanians evade taxes?

They move to the US!

Right @crashman?

19. Za-Ham

Za-Ham Well-Known Member

For legal purposes I just want to state that in my original post I was not asking how to evade federal income taxes. My main concern was the paperwork and how the reporting procedure works. I have the best accountants in the tri state area filling all of my personal federal and state income taxes to ensure the reporting procedures are completed correctly and in a timely fashion.

I apologize if someone thought my questioning was in regards to some form of illegal activity. Please return to consuming your fluoride infused tap water and your daily recommended allowance of red 40. Thank you.

20. thrak410

Everyone should try to evade or reduce income taxes. What kind of American are you!?

brex and pickled egg like this.