1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

What is the program / device some seem to be using that marks the bullet strikes?

2. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

A couple of them that come to mind are SubMOA and Ballistic X

3. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'd go with the 178gr ELD-X. You'd already be very close to the load you've developed.

socalrider likes this.
  4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

When I developed the load for my 6.5x.284 I picked a proven bullet and powder combo used by the long range guys since the round was known for accuracy out to 1000yrds. Then I focused on seating depth and 'jump' distance of the bullet from the mouth of the case to engagement with the lands. After that was settled and dialed in on the blue press the next step was loading 5 rounds in .1 grain increments over a range of 2 grains of powder to find the sweet spot. IIRC barrel harmonics play a big part in accuracy. Getting the load to vibrate the barrel at a consistent frequency and the bullet to exit at the same point in the harmonic is key to accuracy. Attached is a in image of the result. The target is a 10 meter air rifle 9 bull.

Attached Files:

5. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I would also consider the Sierra Gameking. I have been very satisfied with their performance on animals from deer through moose. I have yet to have a rifle that didn't shoot them from well to very well. I don't believe that elk require an ultra premium bullet, especially at 308 velocities.

socalrider likes this.
  6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

thinking about 6.5 PRC, a little more umph than the creedmoor. just started researching this caliber, anything I should be concerned about? will be factory ammo, I do not reload. Ski

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I bet availability is an issue.

8. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

With 6.5 PRC, yeah ammo will be an issue. I assume it costs a good double what a 6.5C costs.

9. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

If you get a PRC just get some ammo . It’s ok Now but dried up for about a year it seems like

10. skidooboy

seems like it is available from some of the suppliers I normally use. abought the same as creed for price too, maybe a touch more. the Springfield Waypoint with the carbon barrel is sexy, to me. god, I sound like GG. LOL! Ski

11. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

First four rounds through The Fix by Q at 50 yards went to the upper left side of the target when sighting it in. The second shot was the flier. After I made adjustments on the X-axis to move the bullets right, some tacticool guy in the lane next to mine started shooting at my paper for some reason.

I didn't get to the range until after sunset, so between that and the guy fenestrating my target, there was no point in shooting more. But I just had to get a few shots in on my first day with it.

Light (light) rifle, great trigger and you can easily dial in the ergos as you see fit. And clearly, the only deviation was mine. Rifles, in general, are new to me, so here's to a new (expensive-ish) hobby ...

smix.jpg

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Holy shit, you didn't fuck around getting into the new hobby.

13. skidooboy

Still searching for a 6.5 PRC havent had the feeling "I need this" to drop the coin on it just yet. Found the Bergara HMR Pro, and the B14 squared Crest. I like the specs and the reviews for the action and barrel of the Pro but, the 10lb starting weight has me turned off. I like the light weight of the Crest but, the shorter 20" barrel, and not having the "Premier" barrel and action, have me wondering if that is going to be an issue for me. In a perfect world, I would buy a Premier action, and barrel and the Crest stock. I was hoping the Beeb would feel my pain. Ski

14. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Why does the 10lb weight bother you? Most long range rifles are much heavier than that, unless you want to hunt with that round? Most dedicated long range stuff is over 15 lbs

15. skidooboy

mostly for hunting, not long range competition shooting. I can only shoot 200 at our local club. I think unless it is private, there are only 2 clubs in michigan that have 600 yd ranges. So... I dont have any facilities to shoot reliably, over 200. My Ruger American in 6.5 CM with the Magpul hunter is near your 15lb mark though.

While I am thinking about it, has anyone used the Burris Veracity PH Scope with the heads up display, and their ballistics ap? Ski

16. Resident Plarp

Let me introduce you to my lightweight friend: The Fix by Q. This set up weighs one ounce under 10lbs. with 10 rounds of .308 in the magazine. Remove the silencer, and away goes another 11 oz.

You can kill everything in Michigan, or continental USA with it.
    fuckamooseintheass.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    skidooboy likes this.
  17. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I’ve got a NIB vortex razor LHT 4.5-22x50 I’m looking to move. Great hunting scope that’ll dial

18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

not sure what your budget is but here's a very nice custom action PRC that would be very light weight. Also lighten your wallet. :) Maybe would have put a carbon Proof barrel on it if it was just for hunting but the ti action goes a long way towards keeping this one light (6lbs).

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...evo-6-5-prc-lightweight-custom-build.7154538/

19. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Let me save you some coin, buy a Ruger American Go Wild, 7.1 lbs, get the M*CARBO trigger spring kit #19998877888 for around $20 something shipped to change the 3-5 lb trigger to 1.8-2lbs and go happily shooting sub MOA, re-barrel and re-stock if you feel the need. Pick your flavor 6.5 creed, 6.5 PRC or in my case 7mm PRC.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
  20. Resident Plarp

Neither of those guns have a folding stock. Nor come with a good trigger out of the box. Boo and shit.