1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do in Austin TX?

Discussion in 'General' started by socalrider, Feb 14, 2023.

1. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

I'll be there this weekend while the wife has some medical industry conference. Leaving the kids with the grandparents, I have one dinner reservation on Saturday night but what else is there that is must see/must check out? Wife's conference is 8am to 12 noon each day, Fri - Sun. We are staying at the Hilton on 4th where they are holding the conference no rental car but have no problem ubering or lyfting places.

Thanks Beeb, you know everything.

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

6th street

socalrider likes this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Eh, Austin is not bad but nowhere near the hipster doofus hype.
    Last time I was there was in August so it was hotter than balls but you don’t have to worry about that. Lol

really, go eat too much, drink some beers (you can find something besides hipster IPAs) and people watch.

socalrider likes this.
  4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Look up local live music, you never know, a favorite band might be in town. About 200 places to watch live music during he week.

socalrider likes this.
  5. Youpaiyou

Youpaiyou Well-Known Member

Top Golf

6. socalrider

top golf is fun, ive been, but the wife doesnt golf. thanks though!

7. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Cooper's Old Time Pit BBQ. It's not the original location that I tried, but it is really good. Look them up.

You're close to San Antonio. Go to the Tower of the Americas restaurant. Delicious food, amazing view for dinner, it won't disappoint.

Get yourself some authentic Mexican food. I prefer restsraunts where barely anyone spoke English. The people were nice, food is great. The smaller the restaurant the better.

socalrider likes this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You can get authentic Mexican food in Alaska. Shit, used to get it in Zurich.

socalrider likes this.
  9. socalrider

Doubt the wife will want to uber to San Antonio. I've been there, the riverwalk was great times. Also did the Alamo.
    the Coopers Pit BBQ sounds good though, that I can get behind.
    As far as mexican food, I spent the first 36 years of my life in San Diego, and now I reside in Arizona. I LOVE mexican food but I can say I have had and know authentic mexican food. (doesnt hurt that I'm almost fluent in spanish either, although I def have a TJ accent)

:beer:

dont know about all that but I do know I dont need to go to texas to get it.

lopitt85 likes this.
  10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I’d leave Austin and go to Texas.

YamahaRick, dobr24, R1M370 and 4 others like this.
  11. socalrider

My last trip there was for hunting, so I get you, but sadly that's not on the agenda for this trip. Never been to Austin though, Houston, Dallas/FW numerous times for work in my past. I love the state though.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

The only thing about Austin that's cool is COTA is close and they have MotoGP.

Oh and the Ferrari dealership is cool...my kid saw it last year and wanted to go...so on the way back to the airport I promised him a stop. He got his fix and they were VERY cool about it.

13. bncadvr

bncadvr Well-Known Member

Rent a bike and ride around in the Hill Country. I'd say COTA, but you're a couple months early for a track day.

14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

If she likes a romantic date...great view while eating, the trip to the Tower of the Americas restaurant may be worth it to you.

15. socalrider

Well I'll try to sell it because the car ride won't bother me, and San Antonio is a great town.

16. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Sunset, a bridge, millions of bats. What could be more romantic?

17. deathblow

deathblow Well-Known Member

Stiles Switch BBQ and Uchis are 2 of my favorites.

socalrider likes this.
  18. Phl218

Phl218 .

Get those jalapeño mac n cheese at coopers !!! They are the bomb. No need to mention anything smoked - i could jump in that pit

socalrider likes this.
  19. twin ty

twin ty Well-Known Member

Last time I was in Austin, the Domain on Saturday night was the place to be.

socalrider likes this.
  20. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

The State Capitol building is cool to see; largest in the US.

All on 6th Street:
    Museum of the Weird
    Voodoo Donuts
    Gnar Bar
    Velvet Taco (absolutely not your typical Mexican; bunch of unique and novelty ingredients in their tacos)

socalrider likes this.