1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2023 WERA MotoGP Fantasy League

Discussion in 'General' started by vfrket, Nov 13, 2022.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

uhhh....that can't be you, because you are an OG. so yeah, pay up :)

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

felt like that most of the time. no wins, a few podiums and some disastrous bets. add technical challenges (overseas trips, camping with 0 reception)... this year comes with more business travel, a third child on the way, home projects and a few more goodies. just offloading mental capacity and converting to just watching and rooting for racers vs putting them somewhere in the ranks and having conflicting levels of enjoyment. maybe next year.

i will keep my eyes on this thread though. :D

BigBird likes this.
  3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Busy at work (and still tying up loose ends from last season).

Toss out ideas on changes and we will get the rules set. Discussions of changes need to reflect scoring and any payout formula.

4. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Working on this now and wondering how exactly we want to handle Saturday's race? Will everyone be required to pick both races? Will the results for the weekend be an aggregate of both races or is completely separate?

5. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I think I’m going to have to pass this year. Just getting our new roof put on this week and have about a year of repairs as you can’t find anyone who isn’t booked out for about a year. At least all the builders have gone to remodels since home sales have fallen off a bit.

6. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

I vote Sunday only. See if the 2 day format sticks. If I were a racer on that grid, I'd want my paycheck nearly doubled since I have to risk myself 2x racing the billboard around.

Will give time to decide if the software and cutoffs need real updates so you can handle that in 2024.

BigBird likes this.
  7. dsapsis

Does finishing order on Saturday determine the Sunday grid? I was also told that it's half points, but unless they doubled the schema for Sunday, that would mean using decimals. I think I am with vfr and would prefer to leave things as is.

BigBird likes this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Carlo Pernat (Bastianini's agent) has been in a contract dispute with Ducati over this and says he will go to court if he has to.

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Dorna should be footing the bill for the riders sprint race salary because it was their stupid idea.

10. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I'm with the rider on this one, but of course I have no idea what their contract looks like. Adding a whole other race is a pretty big deal.

11. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Yeah that did double the races unilaterally. Is Dorna going to pay the extra to the riders?

Which makes me wonder how the riders contracts are structured. Is it fixed base pay for the season, per race, per round, ???.

12. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

For the purposes of this contest, I'll leave things as is and include Sunday only. I may experiment with something that incorporates both but it will be separate.

For the nerds out there, for the purposes of spinning this up quickly a few years ago, I used MongoDB (appropriate I guess considering where we are). I started migrating to a real relational DB last year (Postgres) and should be fully migrated this year. It doesn't really impact anything you guys see but it sure makes things easier on me.

BigBird likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

Did you see a performance improvement? I am a dinosaur, so relational is all I know, mostly SQL Server.

I've seen a fair share of folks start going back to relational in some shape or form.

14. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

There isn't really enough of a load to notice any performance differences, but the improvement is in maintaining the application code (making changes) and querying the data. The free tools available for Mongo are pretty limited. Because the data in Mongo has no structure other than what you give it, it is challenging to make changes that have to deal with existing data. Think of SQL Server but each table is just a single Text field containing JSON. Is to get started with, but difficult to maintain.

BigBird likes this.
  15. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

It is "half" points but not exactly half.
    Full race points:
    25, 20, 16, 13, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    Sprint race points:
    12, 9, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

16. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I'm in again this year. I liked it the way it was done before so I have no comments/desires regarding changes. I vote ignoring saturday's race for now and leave things as is with only the main Sunday race. Then maybe we can re-evaluate after this season.

17. dsapsis

OK I think we are settling in on no changes from last year's ruleset. Saturday race does not count. That way people still have saturday to get their picks in order.

80 bucks buy-in, with 5 going to overhead and 75 to the payout pool. Send $$ to same place as last year

ds@psis at comcast dot net. First race in Portugal (yay!) in 3 plus weeks.

18. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

The riders aren't really doing more riding because of the sprint race format. FP4 is gone. Yes, they may choose to risk more because of the points involved with the sprint race, but it is a choice. The idea that somehow they are being wronged is pretty laughable. You're being paid to race motorcycles at the highest level and somehow you're complaining that life isn't fair. Boo-efffing-hoo.

sbk1198 likes this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sprint race has more value to manufacturers (advertising) and to the promoter (ticket sales, TV rights) than a practice session. Why shouldn't the riders get a piece? They should roll over just because they have a job you'd do for free?

vfrket, jksoft and BigBird like this.
  20. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

It's not rolling over, it's called doing your job. That's what you do when you work for someone else. I have no problem with the riders getting paid well for what they do, but I think some of them are looking at it as if it doesn't benefit them at all. The riders themselves will get more value in exposure so they'll sell more t shirts and hats. They'll be getting a bigger piece than they did before without having to renegotiate a contract.

sbk1198 likes this.