1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Nighthawk S

Discussion in 'General' started by evakat, Feb 2, 2023.

1. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I just scored a used 86 Nighthawk S for cheap... it is the blue/white with red stripe one.
    I am looking for a right side cover panel and the headlight plastics.
    If anyone has some parts laying around theu would like to part with...

Attached Files:

CharlieY, ToofPic and motodog650 like this.
  2. motodog650

motodog650 pissed-off bloody wanker

evakat likes this.
  3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

HNOG

4. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I had one just like it in HS. 2nd bike,and great comfortable bike! Awesome score

5. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Like you went to high school...

ToofPic likes this.
  6. ToofPic

I drove by there once!

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Nice score. Hope you find your parts.

ToofPic likes this.
  8. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Best paint scheme for those bikes, pretty sure it was a 1 year only scheme.

ToofPic and 969 like this.
  9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I didn’t know that colorway existed. Had to search for a pic. Badass.

28AF1322-BE45-43C3-BF87-B40ED0C0FE95.jpeg

10. ToofPic

61153523_132533684598931_1738448176957882368_n (2).jpg

61162550_132533611265605_8117294104162861056_n (2).jpg
    It was one year only.I worked after school at a Honda dealership,when I bought mine.We only had one,and I bought it,and later traded for our last vf1000r. I was the worst employee.Spent all my pay checks there!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    SpeedyE, ducnut, malamute and 5 others like this.
  11. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Yeah my brother had that color scheme and when he died last year, his best friend asked to have the bike so he could restore it and ride it in honor of his memory. I hated to let it go but I couldn’t say no.

weber#465, ducnut, malamute and 4 others like this.
  12. ToofPic

Sorry for the loss of your brother

13. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

Traded my 79 CB750F in for one when I was in the Marines. Loved that bike, I had the red and black model

malamute likes this.
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I bought my wife a blue/black one. She tried learning on my old V45 Sabre but that bike was too tall and too heavy. Like Goldilocks said, the CB700SC was just right. Used it to train my son on MCs too. Lowest maintenance bike I ever owned. No valve adjustments, no chain, ...just tires and brakes.

ducnut and ToofPic like this.
  16. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Always liked them. I'd love to grab one and restore it as well.

evakat likes this.
  17. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

I'm rebuilding carbs for a '76 KZ900 for a neighbor and he has one of those blue/white Nighthawks in the corner of his basement and parts in boxes. I'll ask him what he's doing with it.

evakat likes this.
  18. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

The shift forks are an Achilles heel on those. I know of two that have been sitting because the owners just don’t want to drop the engine and split the cases.

ducnut likes this.
  19. motodog650

motodog650 pissed-off bloody wanker

Got one like that in stalled, mid-project phase plus same year in blue & black (parts donor). Gotta get that project moving forward again :(

ToofPic likes this.
  20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I got this bike a sad way, it was my best friends that ended his life rather suddenly almost 10 years ago. It hadn't been ridden since 2003 and was in extremely poor condition. His family gave it to me in 2014 and I stuck it in a shed, were it deteriorated even further. Last winter I told myself that I either sell it for parts or do a complete restore. I took it to a good friends shop (who also happens to be my son and I's WERA sponsor) and told him to make it right, no expenses spared.

I need to find the video he sent me. Being a Nighthawk, it didn't take much to get it running again. But when he fired it up the first time in almost 20 years, "stuff" started coming out of the exhaust. And then more stuff, and more stuff. He swept up an entire industrial sized dust pan of walnut shells and mouse bones from the family that was living in the exhaust for who knows how many years.

Bottom line, all expendables and the repairs cost about $1300. It was well worth it.

scottn, gixxernaut, cha0s#242 and 8 others like this.