1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RS660 Tech Discussion

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Monsterdood, May 2, 2022.

1. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

Just installed the Woodcraft set and fit and finish is top notch as you’d expect. A lot of adjustability is built in as well which was a nice surprise compared to their older stuff.

noles19 and 0100 like this.
  2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly the amount of adjustment compared to woodcraft of old is outstanding

3. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

I have the Woodcraft and they work well for me. The only reason I'd consider spending more on Spider is to use Gabro's adjustable swingarm pivots. But I haven't had issues with running wide on exit or tire wear, so I'm currently happy with stock swingarm pivot location.

0100 likes this.
  4. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

I asked Eric Wood (of woodcraft) about making adjustable brackets for the pivot, and he checked with his MA sponsored teams to gauge the potential demand. All had tried it, but not a single one was using an alternate pivot location. If you are having issues with squat or lack of anti squat on exit, try increasing the spring substantially instead.

0100 and noles19 like this.
  5. Badger911GT3

Just to add to what you've said...I've started collecting suspension travel data with an AiM Evo5. And with a 800 lb shock spring (I weigh 170 lbs), I'm seeing noticeable shock extension on acceleration, at least once I'm mostly upright. So my initial data analysis is reinforcing my perception that I've got plenty of anti-squat with 16/44 gearing, 309mm shock length, and stock pivot position.

6. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

Look at Mr. Fancy Pants over here with numbers and stuff....

:D

7. Badger911GT3

I know I've always got you, Eric, to keep my feet firmly planted on the ground!:)

E Reed likes this.
  8. 0100

0100 Active Member

Woodcrafts it is. Thanks guys, you saved me some money!

So what do you guys recommend for gearing?

Racing at NHMS, but also track days at Palmer, Thompson, Club Motorsports and maybe NYST.

9. mattys281-2

mattys281-2 Well-Known Member

I’d steer clear of bonamici for rearsets. The workmanship of a very nice, but the design is not that great. Specifically the fact that the brake pedal is mounted on the right side foot peg, so if you go down on that side and lose the peg it takes the brake lever and the bottom half of the mast cylinder with it.

I just ordered a set of Extreme Components from Hustle Hard Racing. In the pictures they look very sturdy so I’ll post a review back up here after I get to ride on them a little

0100 likes this.
  10. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

What chain length and gearing are you guys running?
    Do you run the axle back in the swingarm?

Getting ready to make a Vortex order.

0100 likes this.
  11. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I run my axle further back on the recommendation of some fast MA teams. I added 2 links to get there and run 17-43 to 17-46 gears so far. 16-43 or 16-44 might make sense for some lower speed tracks or lower speed riders.

0100 likes this.
  12. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I assume you don't use a 16 front is because of chain pull on the swingarm.

0100 likes this.
  13. 0100

0100 Active Member

I would like to know also, because I was thinking about going 16/43 and 17/43 or 16/44 and 17/44 that way I just need to switch the front sprocket. But if 16 is going to cause increased chain pull on the arm I will have to re-think.

14. Badger911GT3

I use 16/44 at Barber and Jennings, and 17/43 or 44 at Road ATL and Roebling.

0100 likes this.
  15. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Yea, with only running 17 front you would need 2 chain lengths to keep somewhat same wheelbase.

16. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I have a 16T, but haven’t installed it because I would need a little time to evaluate its effect on suspension and my shifting. If I make a little time for testing, I would slap it on no problem. Plenty of fast guys run the 16T at slower tracks. Maybe add a turn or two of preload to get the anti-squat back to a good spot depending on about 1000 other factors lol…

0100 likes this.
  17. jlogalbo

jlogalbo Well-Known Member

I am looking for a mounting kit for the rs660 that utilizes the hole in the steering stem

I know AIM makes one but it is $100 for a well nut, washers and a metal bracket...trying to avoid burning money if there is a better (cheaper) alternative

Thanks

Joe

18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

https://419racing.com/lap-timer-mounts/

19. yuengling910

yuengling910 Loose Cannon

Anyone running Pirelli’s on their RS660? How about with a 190 rear?

We’ve been running the Pirelli 180/60 SC2 because the SC1s are proving a little difficult to find in the 180/60. Vendor said he can get them but they’re not as common anymore due to the 190 being the preferred tire for 600s.

This weekend we put rain tires on and I realized that the rear is a 190/60. It fit without any issues.

Is there any reason that you would run the 180/60 over the 190/60? It would be really convenient to use the 190 as it’s what I use on my 600.

20. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

The motoamerica tire is a 190 I believe. The number is kinda irrelevant to the actual measurements most times. I would run the 190.

yuengling910 likes this.